Home Sports Talk
Options

Why isn't Georgia #1 ?

1970s1970s Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

Georgia won SEC title game. Clemson won ACC title game.

Georgia won AT Georgia Tech 38-7. Clemson won at home against Georgia Tech 24-10.

Clemson beat Auburn AT HOME 14-6. Georgia beat Auburn at NUETRAL site 28-7.

Clemson does have a more impressive win against South Carolina, but Georgia leads Clemson 2-1 in
impressive wins against common opponents.

Georgia's only loss of the season was against a Top 10 team on the road.
Clemson's only loss of the season was against a 4-8 Syracuse team.

Can someone explain to me that based on the committee's rules, how they ever ranked Clemson over Georgia ? Because if you go by their rules they established years ago, I just don't see it.

Comments

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

At least you will get a chance on the field to prove you are #1. Be happy they did not do you like they did Penn State last year.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 3, 2017 11:43AM

I'd worry about Oklahoma.

• Options

If Alabama is favored over Clemson, why aren't they #1?

Ralph

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

It's because georgia didn't play mercer.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Brick said:
    If Alabama is favored over Clemson, why aren't they #1?

It's not how it works is the simpliest explaination

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1970s said:
    Georgia's only loss of the season was against a Top 10 team on the road.

This is true, of course, of Alabama as well. And of the two, Alabama played Auburn closer than Georgia. In fact, of all the 1 loss teams, Alabama's loss is the "least bad". Strong argument, IMO, that Alabama ought to be ranked #1; that they will likely get left out of the top 4 makes a mockery of this system. We replaced polls to make this more scientific, but what we've got now is nothing more than the opinions of even fewer people replacing the opinions of the coaches and sportswriters. The whole thing is ridiculous.

The greater mockery is that UCF won't be allowed to play for the title as the only undefeated team. Do I think they're better than Clemson or Georgia? Of course not, but that's not the point. The powers that be have allowed a number of "minor" conferences into the FBS, but then don't treat them as if they are in the FBS. Either officially boot out all the minor conferences or create a pathway to the title for ALL of the conference champions, or at the very, very least an undefeated conference champion.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options

Bama didn't play the sec champs, but yet they deserve to be in? What a joke

• Options
    edited December 3, 2017 12:38PM

@garnettstyle said:

OSU didn't play the B1G Champs, but yet they deserve to be in? What a joke. (remember last year)

You're playing with double standards my Buckeye Brother.
    Garnett, just want to thank y'all for beating Wisconsin. We couldn't have done it without you.... >:)

• Options

No, I'm not joking. And my opinion of UCF's chances in a playoff are probably about the same as yours, but my point is that the current BCS system is just some people's opinion, and people who I trust less than the opinions of the people who used to decide the national champion. The current system basically excludes anyone from outside the five major conferences from playing for the title; any system that honestly wants to appear to be more than the opinion of a handful of people has to allow eligible undefeated teams to play for that title. As I said, either adjust the system to allow UCF to play for the title, or officially acknowledge that teams from outside the five major conferences aren't eligible. Claiming that they are eligible, and then excluding them when they win every game they play, is a farce.

• Options

@Bullsitter said:

@garnettstyle said:

OSU didn't play the B1G Champs, but yet they deserve to be in? What a joke. (remember last year)

Um ohio state played penn state last year and lost a close game on the road.

• Options

@1970s said:

@Bullsitter said:

@garnettstyle said:

Garnett, just want to thank y'all for beating Wisconsin. We couldn't have done it without you.... >:)

Yep. In favor of it when it works for them, and against it when it doesn't tickle their fancy.

I'm still waiting for an answer to my original question. Anyone ?

Look at my above post. Once again, bullshitter is wrong lol.

• Options
    edited December 3, 2017 12:56PM

Clemson was there first and they are the defending champs, you are the new kid on the block. Also Auburn handed Georgia its manhood 3 weeks ago.

And our offensive line is much better than last year. We want Georgia, we want Georgia !!

• Options

@1970s said:
    So let me get this straight. What you are basically saying is that if Penn goes 11-0 in the Ivy league, then they get a chance ? How about DII schools and DIII schools that are undefeated ?

You're not listening. The Ivy League, and DII and DIII schools are explicitly, by rule, excluded from playing for the national title. UCF is not. Well, they are not officially excluded by any rule, they are excluded by hypocrisy. As I have now said twice, either allow UCF to play for the title OR exclude the minor conferences, by rule, from title eligibility. To say that the American Athletic Conference is BCS eligible, and then exclude the undefeated AAC champion from competing for the title is a farce.

• Options
    edited December 3, 2017 1:12PM

Well how 'bout Auburn beat the dog crap out of you, handed you your manhood and made you like it on NATIONAL TV. I know it's been since 1980 since you Georgia boys have been in this position....relax, enjoy it. If you're good enough you'll be #1.

• Options

To answer the original question I think Georgia could indeed be ranked number 1 and deserve it. Clemson being ranked at or near the top all year gave them the inside track. Especially going into the Championship weekend.

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

They beat the crap out of Auburn yesterday because Bama broke #21 last week.

Injuries do matter, you Georgia boys remember what happened when Chubb got hurt last year don't you?

• Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭

GA not #1?

Clemson was #1 in previous week and dominated their opponent, Miami.

Committee thinks Clemson is a better team.

Georgia only has to win 2 games to be unanimous #1.

• Options

@1970s said:
    I think if a UCF earned their way into a major conference, then you could make a case. ... If UCF could do the same, getting big time programs to schedule them and going in and beating them on their own turf like Bowden did with a small time FSU team, then I think UCF would win over the voters.

Yes, but what big time programs are going to schedule UCF? Non-conference schedules for major conference teams are full of crap teams that they know they will beat so they can go 3-5 in their conference games and still be bowl eligible. But I agree, this slim chance is probably all UCF has.

• Options

@1970s said:

@Bullsitter said:
    They beat the crap out of Auburn yesterday because Bama broke #21 last week.

Injuries do matter, you Georgia boys remember what happened when Chubb got hurt last year don't you?

So if injuries do matter, why did Auburn outscore Bama 6-0 in the 4th quarter after #21 left the game ?
    According to your logic, Bama should have beat the crap out of Auburn after #21 left.
    Instead, Bama got weaker in the 4th.

>

He didn't leave the game.

• Options

@1970s said:

@s4ny said:
    GA not #1?

Clemson was #1 in previous week and dominated their opponent, Miami.

Committee thinks Clemson is a better team.

Georgia only has to win 2 games to be unanimous #1.

Clemson dominated a Miami team that got slapped by a 5-7 Pitt team.
    Georgia dominated the hottest team in the country.

Is that the same ?

Ok,ok..Georgia is #1...now what?

• Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

losing late in the season hurts your rank worse than losing early in the season. i agree it's stupid, but that's how it works.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

The way College Football is set up nobody will ever be happy. You can't pick 4 teams and have a winner be #1. You would have to have a playoff where every conference winner got in with a chance to win like they do in the NFL. The current system is a joke!

• Options

Any of the four teams in are capable of winning the whole thing. No reason to worry about how you are ranked. Just win two games.

Ralph

• Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

@1970s said:
    No one has yet to answer my question, so I'll ask it again.

Why is Clemson #1 and Georgia not #1 based on the criteria set up by the committee ?

Everyone has gone off topic, but that's ok.

I think you are asking the wrong crowd.

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2017 12:51PM

I don't care about my Dawgs being numero uno until Jan 8. This past weekend and Jan 8 are the only polls that matter.

But, yeah there's a case to be made for UGA having the top spot...the case for them not being there now though is a little stronger with the Auburn trounce fresh on peoples minds....SEC champ game might be thought of as a 'retribution' win with less merit.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately, so-called fans seem more interested in rankings than the actual game. Reality and even history dictates that the National Championship is often shared and rightfully so.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

Broken system - Agree UCF should get a chance - should be 12 to 16 teams in the playoffs - UGA is not #1 because when they lost to Auburn they dropped to #6 and the system doesn’t allow you to jump to #1 over other teams so far ahead of you that don’t lose - UGA got a break in playing OU instead of Bama - they should be grateful - doesn’t matter, just win...

Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 5, 2017 4:35PM

We replaced polls to make this more scientific, but what we've got now is nothing more than the opinions of even fewer people replacing the opinions of the coaches and sportswriters. The whole thing is ridiculous.

this is POTD material and irrefutable.

I think what it is now is a bunch of guys deciding what they think will be the best revenue generating games, the games which will get the biggest amount of fans watching. the 1-4 rankings have little to do with who is actually best and more to do with what Teams will be more entertaining. the object, I believe, of the committee is to figure out a way to get the two Teams they want to play into the Championship game.

they have sort of done that by having Clemson play Alabama. I don't think they really care who wins since they have arranged it so either Alabama or the defending National Champion will play for the title. the other two Teams come down to a sort of "sacrificial lamb" that will provide intrigue during the week leading up to the Championship.

Alabama and Clemson HAVE to play each to protect the committee. if they played in different games and both lost it would be a disaster.

• Options
    edited December 5, 2017 6:15PM

What a load of crap. Fact. The Final AP Poll had Clemson, Oklahoma, Georgia, Alabama and Ohio State in that order. It was released one hour before the committee made their selections. So the big body of sportswriters would have had it exactly the same way. So how isn't this fair again? How did they get it wrong? FACT- The final coaches poll had it....wait for it..........Clemson, Oklahoma, Georgia, Alabama and Ohio State. The coaches voted Saturday night ahead of the committee. So the very same polls we used in the past coupled with the committee came to the same EXACT conclusion.

They didn't arrange anything. Clemson was number one coming in and beat down #7 Miami. They weren't going to be jumped. The only spot open was #4. They filled it with Alabama. It was that simple. If they picked OSU it would have been them against Clemson. Nothing was arranged. The two major polls had it the same exact way as the committee.

Under a four playoff system they got the right four teams in many people's opinions. If they picked Ohio State they same bitching and moaning would be happening from the Alabama side. No one is complaining about Georgia, Clemson or Oklahoma getting in so it has everything to do with the rankings and trying to get the four best teams in. The ONLY debate was Alabama or Ohio State. So how is it that they didn't get the best 4 teams in? Another way of looking at it is who would you put in instead of Georgia, Clemson or Oklahoma? The answer is no one. So again it's just whining about OSU not getting in and calling it a problem with the system.

This is a sour grapes I didn't get in so the system is broke vendetta for many. So transparent. Last year it was the same when OSU got in. By only having four teams in the playoffs the spot for #4 is always going to be hotly contested

The problem isn't the committee it's the fact there are only 4 slots to fill

This is nothing more then a pity party at this point

mark

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    What a load of crap. Fact. The Final AP Poll had Clemson, Oklahoma, Georgia, Alabama and Ohio State in that order. It was released one hour before the committee made their selections. So the big body of sportswriters would have had it exactly the same way. So how isn't this fair again? How did they get it wrong? FACT- The final coaches poll had it....wait for it..........Clemson, Oklahoma, Georgia, Alabama and Ohio State. The coaches voted Saturday night ahead of the committee. So the very same polls we used in the past coupled with the committee came to the same EXACT conclusion.

mark

Maybe so but what about Bob's Computer Poll, and the Super Computer Poll, and all those great computer polls? They probably had it:

1. Ohio State
    2. Doesn't matter
    3. Doesn't matter
    4. Doesn't matter
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

so you don't think the committee manipulates all this to get the Teams they want?? :D

• Options

I have complete confidence in the integrity of the committee. I also believe some teams have a small head start because of their reputation of always being a top team. Alabama and Ohio State both benefit from this. Both teams were able to take a week off and still get into the Playoffs after a recent loss. Other teams without such a reputation need to come from behind and play so well there is no way to keep them out. Wisconsin won every game until the Conference Championship and lost by 6 points. The belief was they had to run the table to get in but as a one loss team they were not even in the conversation. UCF went undefeated but the understanding is they can't play with the big boys. Kind of like OSUs and Alabama's reputation in reverse. If Wisconsin started the year with a 6 point loss to the Buckeyes then won out but were not in the BIG Championship would they have even been considered? Not a chance in Hell. #5 will complain. Increase to an 8 team tournament, #9 will complain. 16 team tournament, #17 will complain. However the more teams it would be obvious the complaining team would have little chance to win. In all honesty this years complaining #5 team would have to play their best football of the year twice to win.

Ralph

• Options

Mark, the polls had Bama ahead of ohio state by the slightest of margins, it was almost a tie.

• Options

@garnettstyle said:
    Mark, the polls had Bama ahead of ohio state by the slightest of margins, it was almost a tie.

No doubt it was close. Someone needs to come out ahead and it is what it is.

mark

• Options

Yes it was close. I remember one of the sports shows had percentages of getting in. Alabama had a 50% chance, OSU a 49% chance. That's how it came down. No complaints, just disappointment.

Ralph

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

Georgia isn't #1 because it's the WWF. Beware of the Sooners.