What are the odds of getting these 2 bills out of an ATM machine at the same time?

ATF CoinsATF Coins Posts: 94 ✭✭
edited December 2, 2017 9:46PM in U.S. & World Currency Forum

Ok, so I go to the ATM machine and pull out $400. The 2 bills below were one on top of the other. Both serial numbers end with 35500....one on top of the other. Both bills printed in 2013 and end in 35500! Wow, right? How often does that happen? There are 100,000 possibilities and the exact same 2 were stacked. Do you think this is worth a premium if sold as a pair, or is it just a really unusual find?

After the Flood Coins - Specializing in rainbow toned coins of all denominations. Formerly Chameleon Coins.

Successful deals with greencopper, Al21, AUandAG, wondercoin, KellenCoin, and you next.

Comments

  • TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2, 2017 9:42PM

    Wild odds! No premium unfortunately. If the full SN's matched, not including the prefix letters, then you'd have a winning pair.

  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I'd keep them just for the interesting story !!! :)

    Timbuk3
  • Agree

  • Well I'd like to thank the 3 of you that took a second to leave a comment. I was hoping for a little more feedback.

    After the Flood Coins - Specializing in rainbow toned coins of all denominations. Formerly Chameleon Coins.

    Successful deals with greencopper, Al21, AUandAG, wondercoin, KellenCoin, and you next.
  • boimre1972boimre1972 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

    I'm sorry, I don't see this as anything unusual or extraordinary.

    As to responses, keep in mind only around 60 people look at this board.

    Mike
    Collecting small-size star notes.
    Mishawaka, IN
  • tomtomtomtomtomtomtomtom Posts: 266 ✭✭✭

    @boimre1972 said:
    I'm sorry, I don't see this as anything unusual or extraordinary.

    As to responses, keep in mind only around 60 people look at this board.

    ....and the responses explain your question clearly!

  • RoadkingUSARoadkingUSA Posts: 112 ✭✭✭

    I agree no value over face

    Collecting Serial Numbers
    9,21,89,99,999,2002
    12345678 or 87654321
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @ATF Coins said:
    Well I'd like to thank the 3 of you that took a second to leave a comment. I was hoping for a little more feedback

    this isnt the US coin forum where you get 50 replies a day. I've been waiting 6 months for an answer to my birthday note question. :D

    Patience daniel-san

  • mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 9, 2017 1:22PM

    I agree that there's no premium. I believe the actual odds are 1 in 10,000, if you ignore the series, prefix, and suffix. You are looking for the probability that both end in 5500, i.e., that the serial number is XXXX5500. The probability that any digit is a specific number is 1/10. So, the probability is (1/10)x(1/10)x(1/10)x(1/10) = 1/10000.

  • @mvs7 said:
    I agree that there's no premium. I believe the actual odds are 1 in 10,000, if you ignore the series, prefix, and suffix. You are looking for the probability that both end in 5500, i.e., that the serial number is XXXX5500. The probability that any digit is a specific number is 1/10. So, the probability is (1/10)x(1/10)x(1/10)x(1/10) = 1/10000.

    They both end in 35500, so I suppose that the chances are 1 in 100,000. But what are the odds that those would be from the same year and one on top of the other? I don't know.....I thought it was a really cool find, even if it's not worth any more than the $40 face value.

    After the Flood Coins - Specializing in rainbow toned coins of all denominations. Formerly Chameleon Coins.

    Successful deals with greencopper, Al21, AUandAG, wondercoin, KellenCoin, and you next.
Sign In or Register to comment.