Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1965 Topps Baseball Jeopardy

Ihey guys - Ill post the answer of where they’re from later but these cards are so beautiful o just wanted to quickly.

Nikklos

Comments

• Options
    NikklosNikklos Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭

Nikklos
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice Fritz!

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:
    Cello rip?

I was thinking the exact same thing :o

• Options

Only 19 cards?!?! Looks like they shorted you one :p

• Options

Answer - At a yard sale in a big box, cards strewn all over the place.

Nikklos
  • Options

I handled the cards. They didn’t feel pulpy. They felt sharp. Took me 10 seconds to pull the trigger.

Nikklos
  • Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭

It can be done! Nice work

• Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭

Nice work!

• Options

Wow, nice score!! I wish I came across such yard sales! How much was the box??

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

I need to move to a neighborhood with nicer yards!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

Wow, nice score!! I wish I came across such yard sales! How much was the box??> @grote15 said:

Tim, you need to move to Brookline--we don't have yard sales, we have estate sales!! :p

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow nice score! We all dream about those yard sale finds!

• Options
    slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

wish had good yard sales here like that .

• Options

Me Tarzan, me want cookie!! :D

• Options
    1neatstuff1neatstuff Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭

Hi nikklos nice cards they look very sharp that's a nice find hope all is good buddy.

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

These cards look beautiful. I cannot believe they didn't suffer that drawers corner death. Just WOW!

• Options

Thanks guys! So there were well over 2000 cards in the lot mostly ranging from 1963 to 1967. About 1000 in P - Vg/Ex. Another 1000 Ex - NM. About 300 gradeable in PSA 8/9 condition.

And then these bad boys for which I have high expectations

Nikklos
  • Options

Nikklos
  • Options

Nikklos
  • Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

Thought you dropped the bomb with the 2 Carlton's, then this beaut. BOOM. I can see that in a 9.

• Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭

Congrats on a great find. I have never been to a yard sale. I might need to consider it. Good luck with the grades! Some very sharp cards mixed in there.

Steve
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭

Holy crap, this is amazing! Congratulations!

• Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

Huh? What? What just happened? I think I may have passed out for a second there. Let me get my bearings.

OMG! 3 Carltons? I think even the Grader of Death may have a hard time keeping the third one out of a 10 holder.

Although I would love to live vicariously and know what you paid for this lot, I fully understand any reluctance to do so. The philosophical question of whether you took advantage of someone would pop up.

Personally, I believe that you're allowed to have an honest score. If it ends up being the equivalent of a winning lottery ticket, it is up to you to decide what, if anything, you do to compensate the seller as you are not under any obligation to do so. They had their items up for sale with a price of their determination based upon the amount of research they were willing to do.

Congratulations! I think we are all looking forward to the grades as well as your next unopened rip.

• Options

My conscience is totally clear in that respect. The tag sale was being run by a third party seller as I guess is common nowadays. I can only assume that the contents of the house would
    Not be missed by the original owner.

The stories that could be told by the books, cards and accumulated possessions in that house. Many of the star cards - Palmer rookies, 1966 Roses had boys names scrawled in ink on the back.

The only Mantles in the lot were ancillary - league leaders, 1965 Mantles Clutch HR. I am going to assume the Mantles Aaron’s Mays were sold off during the course of time. Not picked thru by the tag company as they would have left plenty of value that hey could have otherwise removed from the lot.

Star players of the day are certainly more handled and worn than the commons. I guess noone thought much of Carlton back then!

Nikklos
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭

Nice pickup for sure!
    Ironically, Tracy Stallard just passed away the other day
    IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options

Unbelievable you found such high quality in a jumbled mess of cards in a box. The seller must of threw the last group of high quality cards in last. This is the thing dreams are made of, we all dream of something like this. Amazing, very happy for you. Doug

• Options

@grote15 said:

By the way, Tim, you wouldn’t have to move, just get in your car. These were in Port Washington.

Nikklos
  • Options

Doug - the thought kept going thru my mind “I’ve had dreams like this but then I always wake up”.

Nikklos
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

Maybe you finding them was some good karma you had coming your way from all of the greats rips and posts you have contributed to this board. o:)

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

@dennis07 said:
    Maybe you finding them was some good karma you had coming your way from all of the greats rips and posts you have contributed to this board. o:)

+1

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2018 2:09PM

Well I thought the sweet Carlton deserved a bit better. Will place under “subject for further review”....

Will keep you all posted as the rest of the grades come in. Happy New Years everyone!

Nikklos
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

It does have a bit of lower right corner wear that couldn't be seen in the cell phone pic. But still a beauty!

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet Carlton and great find and story!

KC

• Options

Great card. Congrats.