Home U.S. Coin Forum

EBAY TROLLS

KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a Troll on Feebay today send me a message at 1am.

The request was that I change my 1901-O raw Morgan listing to exclude any reference to MS65.

Let me explain:

The listing says that the Coin is in a 3rd party MS65 holder but I am selling it raw because
I don't know the grading company. I think I was being very conservative and fair. They also claimed that if not
A PCGS, NGC, or ICG graded coin, we are not allowed to mention a grade at all in the description. I see raw coins with grades
All over the place. I am selling mine as ungraded letting the customer decide for themselves.

Anyone else Heard of this rule? I think if this was the case I would of heard of it with my background/exposure to Ebay

Coins was looked at and is Genuine so its not a fake but **I felt it important to point out that even if Label said MS65 **one
Needs to decide themselves before buying because it is not in a well know grading company holder.

What has been your experience, and how would you respond to the email?

Best place to buy !
Bronze Associate member

Tagged:

Comments

• 1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yea you cant say the 65. you can say MS. otherwise it has to be in one of the slabs they mentioned. BUT you can put the MS65 in a photo and they usually don't say or do much.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

He is correct. You cannot state a grade unless the coin is graded by a reputable and approved grading company.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

so when they see a picture of a MS65 holder and you sell it, is that not wrong, if you are not sure about that grade? should you not point that out?

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it is not one of the accepted grading companies that Ebay has listed then you are supposed to treat the coin as raw and not show the grade that is on the holder or refer to the grade listed on the holder.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • logger7logger7 Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can't let it be one of the first couple pictures but you can show the graded holder in later pics. if it is Segs, PCI, etc..

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

ebay coin listing policy

Raw coins:
    A raw coin is one that hasn't been graded by a coin grading company, or has been graded, but not by an approved grading company.

Listings for raw coins must follow these guidelines:
    The numeric grade (such as MS-65, VF-25) isn't included in the title, description, or item specifics of the listing.
    No estimate of value (even if personal opinion) or reference to a price guide is included in the title or description.
    The listing includes photos of the front and back of the coin being sold, and you are authorized to use the photos. Stock photos and images that are dark, out of focus, edited, or misleading aren't allowed.
    Photos or scans of coins in holders from a non-approved grading company cannot show a grade or any text describing the grade or quality of the coin. The grade and text related to the grade must be completely obscured and unreadable.
    The starting, reserve, or Buy It Now price for the coin is less than $2,500.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kkathyl said:

What has been your experience, and how would you respond to the email?

send him your thanks and revise listing to comply with ebay policy. I personally always include a photo showing the holder and grade so that the buyer knows exactly what he is getting. Just don't make it your first picture.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

I don't know if they do much about the photos unless someone makes a complaint. I have seen many photos with the estimated grade written on the flip. If its written in the description then its easy to detect through a search - not so much if its in the photo.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

Verfied my listing is good. I listed it a BU ungraded indication of the holder label is not a violation.

Great exercise thanks Guys your the best

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Technically true, but IMO it depends on how you listed it...does the MS-65 show up in the title? That would be more important than if deep in the listing you said 'no-name TPG called it MS-65, but I think they are overly optimistic'.

My personal social justice warrior efforts are saved for more significant things though and I doubt it was worth the email to you... Shoot I called/emailed/reported a few auctions that were clearly and explicitly against eBay's TOS and months later the yahoo is still selling the banned items.

So...unless you are being sneaky and deceptive (which I sincerely doubt), don't get too fussed over it. Most likely just a keyboard pounder with too much time on his/her hands to go around trying to micromanage other people.

@Stork I think your right, and I would never ever deceive anyone. I care about my fellow collectors. I blocked them God forbid they try to screw around with my account. I am building it for when my Police officer daughter retires so I can pass along a nice account for her.

AND NO not in the title.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

@Kkathyl said:
    Verfied my listing is good. I listed it a BU ungraded indication of the holder label is not a violation.

Great exercise thanks Guys your the best

Excellent, glad we could help.

• mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are certainly Ebay trolls out there. Just last week I had a guy that I cherrypicked three months ago contact me saying "I have been notified that the coin I sold you was a more valuable variety..." and he wanted me to split the difference in value with him. I politely refused.

• NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2017 9:50AM

I'm going to guess that this is your listing, kkathyl, and your description is as follows:

This is in a MS 65 holder from a 3rd party grader. The coin in the picture is the coin you will receive. It is a great looking coin with cartwheel luster and bright. Look at details if you need more pictures send me a message and I will send you more as detailed as possible. Purchased from a reputable, Morgan Dealer

It looks like you are still using 'MS65' in the description, which will still invite those messages from ebayers. Using a specified grade in the title or description IS against eBay's rules, though I don't see any issue with using the image showing the grade. I'd simply use 'gem BU', and that should quiet the masses.

I'll come up with something.
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kkathyl said:
    so when they see a picture of a MS65 holder and you sell it, is that not wrong, if you are not sure about that grade? should you not point that out?

most people do not comply with ebay rules about covering the grade on the label of a not approved grading company.
    I will add that you can say GEM BU which would imply a 65.

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

The real issue in selling the coin is the asking price. With legit PCGS or NGC graded examples selling for as low as $115. :)

• KindaNewishKindaNewish Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a listing bounced too yesterday, a 1875CC 20c BF-1 in an off brand holder. I did not assign a grade, but the overgraded notation of VG on the holder was visible in the photo.
    It got flagged as counterfeit. Which is weird, because this coin was verified as the 14th BF-1 identified, and I included the email chain from John Frost confirming this. They said that I need to have it verified by a third party expert. For some reason they did not recognize info@doubledimes.com does not qualify as a third-party expert.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really? You think that ebay would recognize anyone other than PCGS, NGC, ICG or ANACS as an expert? Not putting doubldimes down but ebay has not clue who they are or what their skills are or what their opinion weighs. They only recognize those approved grading companies for a reason. They can rely on their authentications.
    bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would usually let the off brand holder be in the picture, but not put the grade in the title, I would just type BU or something like that. Hopefully it works out well.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file