Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

82 Topps Ripken Discussion Reg Vs TT

I have always found it interesting that the 82 TT is valued so much higher than the regular card. The regular has a 10 population of 462 out of 26,965 and the traded 327 out of 11,210 graded. I am always interested in how other view these numbers. The TT of course has the lower total graded but the regular card is graded a 10 at a lower clip. And then you have the factor of the regular card having 2 others on it versus the TT that is his first solo card. It just seems the gap in value is bigger than it should be?

Comments

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

To me it seems like there are a lot of collectors who want to make the traded card his rookie
    card simply because they don't like the multi player rookie cards like his regular issue 82 card.
    I guarantee if Ripkens' 82 regular card was him pictured solo then the traded card wouldn't be
    popular at all. I personally see no importance with the traded card as its not a rookie card.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    VintagemanEdVintagemanEd Posts: 922 ✭✭✭

I agree with that in that most people don't like multiple players on one card. For me I have alsways liked those for some reason and I am like you that it is his real RC

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

While I like the aesthetics of the TT much better, it seems to be the outlier in 2nd issue cards for those with multi-player RCs. It has to be the perceived scarcity of Traded vs Base overall and not the relative ease/difficulty of landing a 10.

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:
    I guarantee if Ripkens' 82 regular card was him pictured solo then the traded card wouldn't be
    popular at all. I personally see no importance with the traded card as its not a rookie card.

If Cal's regular card had been a solo card, the traded card would have never been made.

I'm one who hates multi-player rookie cards. I would rather have a player's second-year card (first solo card), than their multi-player rookie card.

Steve

• Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭

I always enjoyed the multi-player rookie cards, but loved his TT. My best friend all through school collected Ripken... I was always in awe of his TTs. I thought the reason for price disparity was that the 82 Traded set was greatly under-produced, but his TT certainly had some mythical hype around it.

• Options
    waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

@SDSportsFan said:

@Darin said:

If Cal's regular card had been a solo card, the traded card would have never been made.

I'm one who hates multi-player rookie cards. I would rather have a player's second-year card (first solo card), than their multi-player rookie card.

Steve

64 Rose comes to mind. I would rather have the 64 solo card with a good pose at a fraction of the price than the 63 headshot.

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • Options
    waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

The red/orange borders from the traded set look much nicer than the regular issue.

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭

@waxman2745 said:
    The red/orange borders from the traded set look much nicer than the regular issue.

I agree. The Traded has much better eye appeal. I think the pop numbers will continue to get much higher for the regular and the Traded will start to level off. They just produced much more of the regular compared to the Traded.

The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

@SDSportsFan said:

@Darin said:

Steve

Agreed, can't stand Trammel's rookie, even though it has Molitor on it too, much prefer his 79 Topps card with just him on it!!

• Options
    mb2005mb2005 Posts: 165 ✭✭

I don't know the print numbers, but I believe the Topps Traded cards were always considered more rare than the regular issue (not in a PSA 10, but just as a card). Being more rare is probably why a lot of people went after the Traded card in the first place, and it might have carried over the PSA graded cards.

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

Topps traded came in a box, so it is easier to find psa 10s?

• Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 30, 2017 3:10PM

@Stingray said:

@SDSportsFan said:

@Darin said:

Steve

Agreed, can't stand Trammel's rookie, even though it has Molitor on it too, much prefer his 79 Topps card with just him on it!!

I always enjoyed the Trammel, Whitaker and Morris 78 Burger Kings... similar to the tradeds in the sense it had the same design as the base set.