Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is historical data available for the PCGS population report?

Was reading the gainers and losers this morning and was wondering if any data is available,would like to know the 5 year and 10 year.

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know if there is a PCGS population timeline online, but I do know that for many years PCGS published a paper edition of their population reports and one could buy them from PCGS or obtain one free from time-to-time. This would give information on various series and grade ranges going back far more than ten years ago, as well.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

As @TomB noted, there are the paper copies. Not sure when or if they stopped. There are probably enough owned by members here to cover much of the PCGS history. I have ones from 1989, 1997, 2000 and 2007 and have given out requested info before.

Also many Heritage lots include pop info in the description, though that only works if there was something relevant to what your looking for.

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options
    newcollectnewcollect Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

@WinLoseWin said:
    As @TomB noted, there are the paper copies. Not sure when or if they stopped. There are probably enough owned by members here to cover much of the PCGS history. I have ones from 1989, 1997, 2000 and 2007 and have given out requested info before.

Also many Heritage lots include pop info in the description, though that only works if there was something relevant to what your looking for.

Heritage worked fine for what I was looking for, simply selected past a online auctions then oldest. Still would be nice to have in print or on line archive to give you a better perspective. Thanx

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

My coin library has at least 1 printed pop report per year for as far back as everyone I've asked at PCGS thinks they go. I'm not at home right now to check, but I think that's 1988. (No one is sure about just when they started, though.)

When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    BIGAL2749BIGAL2749 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭

Pretty sure mine is 88 but don't remember if it went on last cleanout

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just confirmed... my oldest PCGS Pop Report is July 1, 1988.

When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    newcollectnewcollect Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

anyway to get copies of these from some source

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

For Liberty Nickels, I have a database that I update monthly with the 60-70 grades. Have been doing this for about 15 years.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file