Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

A 1952 Topps Mantle Rookie in PSA 9, or his 2nd-15th year cards in PSA 9 ?

I didn't do the math, but the basic question is would you rather only own Mantle's rookie in PSA 9, or the cash equivalent to all his other cards on the market in PSA 9 ? So let's say from 1953 onward. Would you rather just own the one card, or all the other cards ?

I'm sure I could have asked this question an easier way, but my intelligence level isn't quite there.

Comments

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Intersting question.

I am not sure. Variety is awesome but a PSA 9 Mantle is about as studly of a card as you can own.

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the 1952 Topps in mint grade would cost way more than the remainder in mint grade. The proposition also omits the 1951 in mint grade as being part of the alternative batch. If the 1952 was dead centered I would take that one.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

I do not think it's that close $ wise : 1952

• Options
    1957Braves1957Braves Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

If it’s more plainly stated that using X amount of money to buy one single card vs. many cards, I’d go with the many cards. From an investment standpoint, better to diversify. If a giant hoard of ‘52 cards is found with 30 top grade Mantles, the value may drop by a considerable amount. Certainly can also happen if a hoard of every year is discovered. Lower probability of that.

Either way, it’d be amazing to be in a position to have that choice.

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2017 5:12PM

After decades collecting, I can safely say that if I had the pile of loot to play with, I’d hunt with a keen eye for low grade/high eye appeal that would make me just as happy and pocket the change ;)

If it was a choice strictly among the cards, I’d go with whichever was better centered/registered, the 52 or the 51+ others.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting factoid.

In a 1986 SCD Ad, Mr Mint had "Mint" copies of Mantle's 52Ts for $3500. Had trouble selling all of them and wholesaled a bunch for 2 grand to dealers.

Mike
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2017 7:37PM

If you include the RC and tuff cards like Dan-Dee, Tip Top etc I think that would surpass the 52. Your talking 3mill range

Heck I'm just happy with my centered 52 psa 3 lol

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

On another board this would have resulted in an argument about the definition of a rookie card

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would like to own the 52 in PSA 9, then I would sell it and buy cards that I like,
    a Clemente rookie in PSA 8
    Stargell rookie PSA 9
    Brett rookie PSA 9,
    and probably a Ted Williams 1939 playball in PSA 7 or 8.

I would still have plenty of money left to spend, or save!

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭

VCP isn't reliable for 1951-53 (no sales this decade), but a PSA 9 of each main Mantle card from 1956-69 would run $219,000. Highest two are 1962 ($35K) and 1956 ($30K).
    Roughly speaking, 1961-69 (minus 1962) average about $10K each. 1957-60 average about $20K each.
    That's using the website's "last price realized" data.

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

@addicted2ebay said:
    If you include the RC and tuff cards like Dan-Dee, Tip Top etc I think that would surpass the 52. Your talking 3mill range

Heck I'm just happy with my centered 52 psa 3 lol

Makes me wonder how many '52 Mantles are owned by CU forum members out of the 1264 that are PSA graded. +1 here!

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

There have actually been 1,513 graded.

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Iirc there were 31 PSA 8 Mantle rookies, but the pop shows 33. Wonder if two more 8’s have been graded recently.

KC

• Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭

@1957Braves said:
    If it’s more plainly stated that using X amount of money to buy one single card vs. many cards, I’d go with the many cards. From an investment standpoint, better to diversify

Investment only - I'd do the 52T Mantle
    Collection enjoyment - I'd rather have all the other Mantles to enjoy and examine their beauty

The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KendallCat said:
    Iirc there were 31 PSA 8 Mantle rookies, but the pop shows 33. Wonder if two more 8’s have been graded recently.

KC

If your stats are correct w/ 31, then I wonder how many 7.5's there were at that same time.

• Options
    mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Judging bybthe pop report I do not think mr mint was actually selling mint copies for 3500. Probably more like nm/mr oc copies. Lol. I Remember he was highly against the idea of 3rd party grading companies when they first came out.

• Options
    ergoismergoism Posts: 315 ✭✭✭

@mrmint23 said:

That's just ridiculous. Who in their right mind would fork over millions of dollars for that piece of cardboard?

• Options

If I had the extra $$I would absolutely grab it. Great thing is the the wife would be all for it as well ;)

KC

• Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

Not even close for me. 52T PSA 9 all day every day

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

If we're talking about a theoretical question, I would always rather have the dollar bill instead of the ten dimes. I can pick up the dimes over time but the dollar bill is likely a unique opportunity.

Arthur

• Options

@ReggieCleveland said:
    If we're talking about a theoretical question, I would always rather have the dollar bill instead of the ten dimes. I can pick up the dimes over time but the dollar bill is likely a unique opportunity.

Arthur

What a great analogy and an excellent way to explain it. Agree 100%. Always sell the stuff you can replace to get stuff that is hard to get. You can always go back and get the easy stuff(dimes) when you want them again.

• Options
    ergoismergoism Posts: 315 ✭✭✭

@KendallCat said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

Arthur

What a great analogy and an excellent way to explain it. Agree 100%. Always sell the stuff you can replace to get stuff that is hard to get. You can always go back and get the easy stuff(dimes) when you want them again.

That was pretty much my thought process when I went for this one. I traded the majority of my collection and put the remaining balance on layaway.