Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

If I resubmit this '86 Fleer Jordan PSA 8 (OC), what do you think it might come back as?

Hey guys, I'm considering resubmitting this card. It is super bright and fresh, and to me the OC is not that bad. I was thinking of resubmitting and requesting no qualifiers.

Comments

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to tell from the pic how the corners look but the OC hits you for two points easily so I would say a 6 to a 7 at best.

If it's a new case be careful cracking it out.

• Options

So esentially if this is as nice as 8(OC) could be it might get a 7, and if it's on the lower end it might get a 6. In other words, assuming the OC is the main issue it has a chance to get a 7.

• Options

Yes an 8 OC in some cases can come back a PSA 7. Not frequently but it can.

You need to consider the risk of damage when cracking, cost of grading a card in this price range, and probability of grading higher than a 6.

Three out of four corners are touched and you have some chipping up top. The severity of the corners is hard to tell from the phone pic.

If there is only a few hundred dollar difference between an 8 OC and a PSA 7 I wouldn't even consider messing with it.

What's the price differenintial?

• Options

I don't have the card in person but it seems pretty sharp. I do see the slight chipping on the top edge but thought the lighting might be making it look worse.

As far as difference $ between 8 OC and 7... Actually.. it looks like they're pretty dang close from what I can see from recent sales on Ebay. I guess for me it's about the stigma against the qualifiers.. but as they say, it's "buy the card, not the slab", so maybe I'll just keep it as is.

Thanks for your replies!

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1986 Fleer Jordan in 8 (OC) has an average sales price comparably equal enough to a 6.5 as well as 7. You lose money if it goes to a 6 even though its registry score is the same as an 8Q. I don't see your example getting bumped to a 7.5. So IMO, you only have something to lose by cracking this one and nothing to gain. If you want, resub for review but do not crack open.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm assuming you got the OC because of top-bottom centering.
    Left-right is definitely within 70-30 range that psa requires for a PSA 8.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    OddRodzOddRodz Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

I'd go the crack and re-sub route. A 7 is better than a qualifier stricken 8 or 9. Even a 6. In fact a dang PSA 1 is better than a qualifier stricken card.

• Options
    edited November 29, 2017 3:39PM

@OddRodz I am not a fan of qualifiers either. It's like saying she would be hot if. I don't want an if I want hot. :)

• Options

hahahaha.. yep :)

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I'd just sell this one and buy a different one instead to keep for the collection.

• Options
    Dand522612Dand522612 Posts: 417 ✭✭✭

Sorry but O/C is the kiss of death, if anyone ever watched Benny Hill recalls when he sees a nice looking lady at 500 feet. Not the same as up close. Sell and save up to buy a centered 8.

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2017 7:35PM

@OddRodz said:
    I'd go the crack and re-sub route. A 7 is better than a qualifier stricken 8 or 9. Even a 6. In fact a dang PSA 1 is better than a qualifier stricken card.

Define better... can't be value based here so are you talking appeal only?

• Options

Personal choice. I truly believe cards with qualifiers can give people cooties.

• Options
    luciobar1980luciobar1980 Posts: 37
    edited November 30, 2017 4:04PM

I agree that the qualifier is like something you can't get out of your teeth... haha.. but I also would like to believe that people could look past it and judge a card on its merits.. look how white that back is! :p It looks super crisp.

• Options

@Dand522612 said:
    Sorry but O/C is the kiss of death, if anyone ever watched Benny Hill recalls when he sees a nice looking lady at 500 feet. Not the same as up close. Sell and save up to buy a centered 8.

We call this "good from far, far from good". haha

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

@luciobar1980 said:

@Dand522612 said:

That's some spooky action at a distance, as Einstein would say.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

@luciobar1980 said:

@Dand522612 said:

Butter-centering