Home Q & A Forum
Options

"Professionally Graded" So-Called Dollar Census

For representative

Comments

• Options
    1patwick1patwick Posts: 116 ✭✭✭

A modern SCD count is nearly impossible, Given the 'availability' of minting records, a representative census can be 'guesstimated' from eBay sales + Census of graded medals from ALL grading businesses. On the latter, a total number graded of each, not a breakdown of grades would help. One can figure a percentage never see a eBay auction. Other issues prevail and greater minds than mine can determine a system of greater accuracy.
    J. Raymond Did an eBay census last year.
    http://www.socalleddollar.com/study2ndED.html

I hope This study is the first of many years tracking SCD sales on eBay.
    I apologize for the "brain fart" post above.

• Options
    SCDHunterSCDHunter Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

Such a task is heroic in my opinion.

In addition to John Raymond, Anthony Kim published his comprehensive studies in 2008 and 2010 where he documented 16500 transactions from sales that he found including eBay. The results were published in a quantitative grouping of SCDs by HK number, of instances where he observed transactions:

A - Always; 100 or more data points
    F - Frequently; 51-99 data points
    I - Infrequently; 21-99 data points
    R - Rarely; 20 or fewer data points
    N - Never; 0 data points

I use his work as one of many references when I am contemplating a purchase of a SCD.

Although not totally surprising, the number of "Never" is common in his publication. That is not to say that they are necessarily rare. Anyone who has studied SCDs for any period of time recognizes the fact that many of these pieces are elusive in that they are held by strong collectors and rarely come up for sale. The same thing can be argued for population reports. Many SCD collectors prefer them raw, so the fact that a population of zero exists for many of the HK numbers, does not mean that they no longer exist. They will eventually get slabbed once they come to market. The Bill Weber collection comes to mind.