Home Sports Talk
Options

2018 MLB HOF Vote

grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 24, 2017 4:11PM in Sports Talk

Always interesting to follow Mr. Tibbs and track the HOF ballots as they some in.

Very early and just 6 ballots in, but so far, the following players have been voted for on all 6 ballots:

Clemens
Guerrero
Hoffman
Thome
Vizquel

Chipper was named on 5 ballots~the person who did not vote for Chipper said he didn't so so because of character issues. Others are all at 4 votes (66.7%) or fewer, including Bonds with 4 out of 6 votes.

https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=F2E5D8FC5199DFAF!8063&ithint=file,xlsx&app=Excel&authkey=!AAAsz3uDsmqy_Vw

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2, 2017 1:30PM

15 ballots in, now, and just two players have been named on all 15 ballots~Roger Clemens and Jim Thome.

Guerrero and Chipper have 14 votes (93.3%), Bonds has 13 (86.7%) and Hoffman and Edgar Martinez have 12 (80%). All others are below 75% threshold.

Could this be the year that both Bonds and Clemens get to Cooperstown?

https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=F2E5D8FC5199DFAF!8063&ithint=file,xlsx&app=Excel&authkey=!AAAsz3uDsmqy_Vw

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know there's been some controversy with the letter Joe Morgan sent to HOF voters.
    One writer said he wasn't going to turn in a ballot this year because of it.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope everyone who disagrees with Morgan refuses to turn in a ballot this year and every year.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

If Bonds gets in the Hall will mean nothing..........NOTHING!!!!!!!

• Options
    Skin2Skin2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭

For some reason, it doesn't really bother me about Bonds and Clemens getting in the Hall. I simply just put them in as "the greatest of the steroid era," and then understand that aspect when comparing cross generations.

It also helps that they were both pretty clear Hall of Famers before they did that stuff.

• Options

@Skin2 said:
    For some reason, it doesn't really bother me about Bonds and Clemens getting in the Hall. I simply just put them in as "the greatest of the steroid era," and then understand that aspect when comparing cross generations.

It also helps that they were both pretty clear Hall of Famers before they did that stuff.

I tend to agree with this statement. We are also seeing a fairly clear hierarchy among steroid or suspected steroid users with Bonds and Clemens at the top and players like Sosa, Palmeiro and Manny Ramirez at or near the bottom.

• Options

33 ballots in now and Clemens has been named on only 6 of the last 16 ballots dropping him to just under 70% of the vote. Bonds is also under 70%. Thome is the lone unanimous selection having been named on all 33 ballots. Other players over 75% include Guerrero (87.9%), Hoffman (78.8%), Chipper (93.9%) and Edgar Martinez (78.8%).

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:
    33 ballots in now and Clemens has been named on only 6 of the last 16 ballots dropping him to just under 70% of the vote. Bonds is also under 70%. Thome is the lone unanimous selection having been named on all 33 ballots. Other players over 75% include Guerrero (87.9%), Hoffman (78.8%), Chipper (93.9%) and Edgar Martinez (78.8%).

Good news to me on all points mentioned.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jack Morris and Alan Trammell were elected by the veterans committee today.

Steve

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SDSportsFan said:

Steve

Get the defibrillator ready for DA.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 10, 2017 5:06PM

@Coinstartled said:

@SDSportsFan said:

Steve

Get the defibrillator ready for DA.

A new sig line for sure

Not surprised by Trammell at all

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭

My daughter and I got Tram’s autograph on our Tigers flags last year, along with a photo with him. Our first HOFer!!

• Options
    edited December 10, 2017 5:37PM

@SDSportsFan said:

Steve

4 is the new 3, I guess, lol..

Morris' career ERA of 3.90 is highest of any pitcher in the HOF.

Must have been Tiger fans voting, lol..

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

I figured I would get mentioned in a HOF thread today, so I will make this single post in this thread and then stop checking. Jack Morris making the HOF is an insult to that institution that will injure it forever. Which (1) makes it too painful to discuss while the wound is still fresh, and (2) will cause me to lose respect, probably permanently, for anyone who thinks he deserves to be there. So I'm not talking about it, and I don't want to see anyone else talk about it for fear that they will not be as disgusted as they should be.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2017 7:43AM

I'm not really surprised the committee would elect two American Leaguers.
    Most of the former players on the committee spent most, if not all, of their careers
    in the AL, including Brett, Yount, Carew, Winfield, Eck.
    The four hitters mentioned above faced Morris a lot of times, and if they feel he's deserving,
    I have no complaints about it.
    I think the inductees are fairly deserving, but do feel if they're in then Dave Parker,
    Dale Murphy and some others are also deserving.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:
    Most of the former players on the committee spent most, if not all, of their careers
    The four hitters mentioned above faced Morris a lot of times, and if they feel he's deserving,
    I think the inductees are fairly deserving, but do feel if they're in then Dave Parker,

Sorry Darin those AL players who competed against Morris and voted him in are "ignorant" says dallas.

I'm not a big supporter of Morris being a HOFer, but other HOF players that played against him say he belongs. THAT means a lot more than someone deciding he doesn't by looking up numbers in a book.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@Darin said:

Sorry Darin those AL players who competed against Morris and voted him in are "ignorant" says dallas.

I'm not a big supporter of Morris being a HOFer, but other HOF players that played against him say he belongs. THAT means a lot more than someone deciding he doesn't by looking up numbers in a book.

I think its cool Morris got in just to see Dallas new tagline.LOL.
    Actually I don't really care whether Morris is in or not, I think the Hall was watered down a long
    time ago with marginal players getting in, so it doesn't really bother me that players who aren't
    exactly all-time greats are getting in.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
  • Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    edited December 11, 2017 10:49AM

As a Twins fan, I'm glad he got in!

Here's how Morris fared against some of the guys that just voted him in (BOLD) & other notable HOFers...

Player .AVG .OBP .OPS PlateApp

Yount ** .276 .336 .783 138
    **Molitor
    .320 .383 .820 115
    Brett ** .319 .423 .984 111
    **Carew ** .282 .349 .810 43
    **Winfield
    .217 .295 .692 96

Interestingly, Kent Hrbek hit more homers off of him than anyone with 8 total.

Trammell went 1 for 10 against Morris...

The players with the most hits off of him are a who's who of very good to HOF players of the time:

1. Baines (35)
    2. Yount (34)
    3. Molitor (33)
    4. Ripken (30)
    5. Boggs (30)
    6. Ganter (30)
    7. Brett (29)
    8. Copper (29)
    9. Murray (28)
    10. Lansford (27)
    11. Rickey Henderson (27)
    12. Hrbek (26)
    13. Gaetti (26)
    14. Franco (25)
    15. Jim Rice (25)
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like Bonds & Clemens are going to be forced to pay admission again, because neither has gained a single vote from last year.

Good to see Larry Walker starting to gain traction. I would have checked his box long ago.

• Options
    OddRodzOddRodz Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

All the voters should do a write in for Canseco in 2019. He saved Baseball after all.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have all the precincts in Cook County reported yet?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

44 votes recorded now and Thome was finally left off one ballot, so he won't be unanimous, lol..

Chipper on 42 of 44 ballots and Guerrero with 40 votes lead the way. Clemens and Bonds nudged up past 70% again, at 72% and 70%, respectively. Hoffman and Martinez are still above 80%, too. Mussina gas risen to 73% and with Morris now in the HOF, I'd expect Moose to gain favor, now, too.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

the dude who left Thome off voted for Sheffield, Sosa and McGriff

• Options

With a little more than 1/3 of the ballots in (147), Chipper Jones leads the way with 98.6% of the vote, followed by Thome at 95.2% and Vlad Guerrero at 93.2%. I think those three players are assured of induction next year. Players at or near the 75% threshold at present include Edgar Martinez at 80.3%, Hoffman at 78.9% and Mussina at 72.1%. Both Bonds and Clemens have the same exact total votes at 105 (71.4%) and appear to be getting closer but will come up short again.

• Options
    graygatorgraygator Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭

Those trends have held through 10 more ballots. I’m generally a “bigger Hall” guy and will be happy if everyone close (through Mussina on your list) gets in. You can make a solid case for all of them.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Morris getting in has to help a deserving Mussina

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 3, 2018 5:10PM

Fans here on Seattle sports radio are starting to do the "will this finally be the year?" dance around Edgar. I know the case for him hinges on perception of the value of the DH, and having growing up in an NL town, I'll be happy if he gets in just so that I won't have to have that debate again for the millionth time*.

*I allow for the fact that Mariners fans are extremely fragile and touchy about their idolized franchise players.

• Options
    edited January 4, 2018 6:24AM

@galaxy27 said:
    Looks like Bonds & Clemens are going to be forced to pay admission again, because neither has gained a single vote from last year.

Good to see Larry Walker starting to gain traction. I would have checked his box long ago.

They haven't gained any votes from last year's voters but 9 out of 9 new voters have voted for Clemens and 8 out of 9 have voted for Bonds which is consistent with the notion that the newer voters don't view PED use as many of the veteran voters do. I believe that trend will result in their inductions within the next few years.

• Options

With just a couple of days left to the official announcement and with roughly 50% of the ballots now recorded, 2018 is shaping up to be a potentially historic year for the baseball HOF with 5 players presently on the north side of the 75% threshold required for induction. Chipper leads the way at 98.6%, with Vlad Guerrero next at 94.7%, followed by Thome at 93.2%, Martinez at 79.7% and Hoffman at 77.3%. Players typically see their voting percentages decline as later ballots usually include fewer players per ballot compared to ballots cast earlier (Martinez lost 7.3% in 2017), but Hoffman was one of the few players whose vote percentage increased last year after the later ballots were recorded (by 1.3%) so we may see Hoffman get in before Martinez with Chipper, Guerrero and Thome being locks. Mussina is getting closer at 70.5% and Schilling is at 63.8%. Despite some impressive early returns, support for both Bonds and Clemens has withered as the weeks have passed, with both players now projected to wind up in the mid-50s just like last year.

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

@galaxy27 said:

They haven't gained any votes from last year's voters but 9 out of 9 new voters have voted for Clemens and 8 out of 9 have voted for Bonds which is consistent with the notion that the newer voters don't view PED use as many of the veteran voters do. I believe that trend will result in their inductions within the next few years.

It may happen, but the other side of the coin is that you only need 25.1% of the voters unalterably opposed to strongly suspected PED users in order to block their induction by the BBWA.

• Options

@ernie11 said:

@grote15 said:

@galaxy27 said:

It may happen, but the other side of the coin is that you only need 25.1% of the voters unalterably opposed to strongly suspected PED users in order to block their induction by the BBWA.

After a strong start, support for both Bonds and Clemens has withered considerably, so that may be the case, even with the newfound support from newer voters.