Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1952 Topps Hank Bauer PSA 9

I just recently sent 10 1952 Topps cards into PSA to be graded. I received 2 6.5, 3 7s, 4 8s, and a PSA 9 for Hank Bauer. I am new to the whole grading process so I thought this was a pretty good get and thought I should share it here. I have also recently sent 10 more cards very similar to the Bauer so I am excited to see what those come back at. I would like to eventually get all the cards I own from this set graded. Unfortunately I do not have enough of the high numbers to try and complete the set.

Comments

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bravo! Congrats on the sub. Can't wait to see your next results. Thanks for sharing.

Arthur

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

Nice $$$$

• Options
    Dand522612Dand522612 Posts: 417 ✭✭✭

Cha ching!!!

• Options

If you're going to be flashing pristine moof around you might want to consider getting a good scanner, Those peacocks need to strut.

Arthur

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on the nice hit. That will bring a few grand back easily. Has that been in your collection for a long time?

• Options

Yes we have had the card for quite some time. We have been trying to complete some of our vintage sets over the last couple of years. Need a few cards here and there.

• Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭

Four 8's and a 9 from the '52 set. Score! Congrats.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭✭

SWEET!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 24, 2017 3:27PM

Wow. Welcome to our forum!

It's rare in this day and age to find someone with pristine 52Ts that haven't been graded.

Congratulations on your sub.

How about some context?

Your fist name? How long collecting? How did you come into 52s of that quality?

I only know of one person who has binders of raw Topps sets.

Thanx for sharing.

Mike
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:

One is plenty. :p

• Options

My name is Ryan. I have been collecting with my mom and Dad for several years. I recently became interested in vintage and getting vintage baseball graded. My dad had some of the 52s as a kid and built on the set by buying at shows. Once I get more 52s graded I’d like to get some more 50s and 60s cards graded.

@Stone193 said:
    Wow. Welcome to our forum!

It's rare in this day and age to find someone with pristine 52Ts that haven't been graded.

Congratulations on your sub.

How about some context?

Your fist name? How long collecting? How did you come into 52s of that quality?

Thanx for sharing.

• Options
    MintacularMintacular Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭

I guess I'll be a contrarian but the edges/corners don't look 9 quality to me

• Options

Awesome card!

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't imagine PSA just slapped a nine on that card. I bet they looked it over really good. And it really looks good.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    MintacularMintacular Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭
    edited November 25, 2017 10:04PM

Everyone can play nice but if you were to cover the grade and ask everyone what they think this SHOULD grade you would get a whole lot of 5 thru 6.5's, MAYBE 7. The truth hurts but this is NOT a worthy 9. Look at the edge chipping left side and the corners are not all that sharp.

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 26, 2017 10:30AM

@Mintacular said:
    Everyone can play nice but if you were to cover the grade and ask everyone what they think this SHOULD grade you would get a whole lot of 5 thru 6.5's, MAYBE 7. The truth hurts but this is NOT a worthy 9. Look at the edge chipping left side and the corners are not all that sharp.

Did not notice but yes! if I send it in its a 4-6 like 99% of the grades they give me

• Options

Congrats to Ryan ! Who submitted his 1952's thru my Store World Champs Sports Cards in Lisle Illinois. After reading the comments, anybody that second guesses these grades doesn't have a clue, or is basically a Hater ! The cards looked Pack Fresh and I used a 10x jewelers loop to look at the cards before sending. I thought the whole grading process was to take the guess work out of a card.

• Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

@puckhd27 said:
    Congrats to Ryan ! Who submitted his 1952's thru my Store World Champs Sports Cards in Lisle Illinois. After reading the comments, anybody that second guesses these grades doesn't have a clue, or is basically a Hater ! The cards looked Pack Fresh and I used a 10x jewelers loop to look at the cards before sending. I thought the whole grading process was to take the guess work out of a card.

They aren't haters they are just going by a very poor photo. A good scan or a high quality picture would eliminate any questions about the grade I'm sure.

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@puckhd27 said:

Seems odd to come back after 4 1/2 years to make this post your triumphant return.

• Options

And back to the cards. Nice Bauer.

• Options

Here is the best I can do with the scanner I have.

• Options
    muffinsmuffins Posts: 469 ✭✭✭
    edited November 27, 2017 5:24PM

best i can do w the best that was provided: ;)

eta: and the lil psa logo strikes again in lower right hand corner. not sure the heads thought that one thru...

• Options

@muffins said:

eta: and the lil psa logo strikes again in lower right hand corner. not sure the heads thought that one thru...

Thanks for making it bigger.

• Options

@muffins said:

Do they put that logo in the bottom right hand corner of every card they grade?

• Options

@dennis07 said:

@puckhd27 said:

They aren't haters they are just going by a very poor photo. A good scan or a high quality picture would eliminate any questions about the grade I'm sure.

I thought being in a PSA holder would eliminate any guess work. Or do all PSA holdered cards not carry the weight of being in a PSA holder?

• Options
    PSARichPSARich Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

Rough cut edges and some chipping are not unusual for 1952-56 Topps cards. Sheets were stacked when they were cut and the sheets on the bottom didn't always get cut cleanly. PSA normally doesn't downgrade for rough edges if they are within reason with no tearing. Many vintage collectors don't mind minimally rough edges as it does indicate there probably has not been any trimming. Even if you look at the edges of what appear to be clean cut edges of early 1950s Topps cards under a magnifier you can see the roughness of the cardboard. Sometimes rough cut edges make sharp corners impossible and PSA doesn't normally show leniency for that. I have many beautiful 1950s cards with rough edges that don't come to nice sharp corners and they are in PSA 7 and 8 holders. The only thing I would question about the Bauer is the upper right corner but sometimes the angle of the scan doesn't really show how good the corner really is. I agree with an earlier poster that PSA would be careful about giving a 9 to 1952 Topps card.

• Options
    muffinsmuffins Posts: 469 ✭✭✭

while "all men are created equally", all nines are not.

• Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 27, 2017 10:36PM

I dream of centering like that for all my '52's.

• Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the new scan. Absolutely stunning card.

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

Ryan

Welcome and enjoy collecting.

Beautiful card. I collect yankee teams sets so my mouth is watering on this beaut!!!!

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Great card.....and one is never enough

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options

The centering on that is excellent. Congrats again on the sub and best of luck with your future subs. No one has ever posted a 9 on this board where there weren't a few people that didn't find something to complain about. It's just the nature of grading. Welcome to board and share some more cards!

Arthur

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, based on the opinion of the boards, the highest a card can grade is evidently around 6.