Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

eBay scammer warning: —— RESOLVED

Tecmo BoilTecmo Boil Posts: 259 ✭✭✭

UPDATE: Apology has been made and accepted. Truly seems like a misunderstanding

Friendly warning: this guy sold me a counterfeit 1980 Bird/Magic/Erving.
It’s a home printout on thin cardboard.
Now he is fighting the return.

Avoid this guy.

Amazingly he has a ton of positive feedback.

Be careful out there, gang!

Comments

• Options

Sorry to hear. Can you post a scan of the card?

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you buy it through eBay or Paypal. If so, getting a refund should be no problem.
    James

• Options

Thanks guys.
    Yes through PayPal and eBay so I’m sure I’ll get my money back. After a few phone calls, a few days, etc

What really peeves me is that he basically said “gotcha” when I requested a refund (which he allows per his listing)...and refused the refund.

It is a printout on thin plastic-like stock with “perforations” simply printed on.

In hindsight (always 20/20), I should have been more suspicious of the lack of clearly visible perforations on the back side. Feel a bit like a dope but that doesn’t make his scam right :neutral:

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hate to see this happen to you or anyone else. If you have an issue with an eBay purchase always file a claim through eBay. The way eBay is set up now I would never go through the seller for a refund. Going through eBay, you don't have to pay for return shipping and the process is a lot faster that trying to deal with the seller. I hope it all works out for you. Whatever happens, PLEASE leave the seller negative feedback. so others can be warned.
    James

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 21, 2017 10:45AM

I agree with the above ^

There is no way he can "gotcha" or deny EBAY's claim. Item received was significantly different than described in the listing. If he never said it was a reprint you are 100% able to get your money back, and even if he did, I'd say its 99% since its a Counterfeit and not a reprint. It was illegally made, therefor no terms you agree to before apply any longer. Just keep voicing counterfeit and all your fear will melt away. Ebay will work with you to return this rather easily. Make sure to leave appropriate feedback for his "gotcha" attempts.

• Options

Thanks for posting the photos. Do you have a link to the original listing? Also what did he actually say when you asked for a refund?

• Options

Link isn’t working but it’s item # 122805292032

• Options

And here was his reply. Amazing that he has an almost unblemished record (although I did find his third “positive” feedback indicates a scam).
    Also he included a business card with his name and personal info with the card. I’m truly baffled as to what he’s thinking.

**alphasportcards sent you a message about your request:

"You bought it as it. Never ask me or imply anything wrong with the card before you purchase it, now you change your mind. You need to recall all the pictures you asked me to send in a period of 24 hours. I send them to you as you asked for more pictures.You wanted this card and bought it, you did your due deligence. Now you change your mind or have doubt. Have you graded this card? We both have rights under ebay policy. You’re abusing the system, by changing your mind after the purchase. My answer is, I sold this card in good faith, and you bought it after review of various pictures and with due delingence you bought it. Your request is denied."**

• Options

@Tecmo Boil said:
    And here was his reply. Amazing that he has an almost unblemished record (although I did find his third “positive” feedback indicates a scam).
    Also he included a business card with his name and personal info with the card. I’m truly baffled as to what he’s thinking.

**alphasportcards sent you a message about your request:

"You bought it as it. Never ask me or imply anything wrong with the card before you purchase it, now you change your mind. You need to recall all the pictures you asked me to send in a period of 24 hours. I send them to you as you asked for more pictures.You wanted this card and bought it, you did your due deligence. Now you change your mind or have doubt. Have you graded this card? We both have rights under ebay policy. You’re abusing the system, by changing your mind after the purchase. My answer is, I sold this card in good faith, and you bought it after review of various pictures and with due delingence you bought it. Your request is denied."**

Wow what a piece of work. Here’s the listing:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-Topps-Stickers-Trio-Magic-Johnson-Julius-Erving-Larry-Bird-Scoring-Leaders-/122805292032

No where does it say that the card is homemade LOL

Frankly it doesn’t seem like you can tell from the scans that it isn’t an authentic card either.

All you have to do is tell eBay that you were sold a counterfeit card. Call them, ask for instructions, open a case and then block the seller also.

Sorry you had to deal with such a scummy seller.

• Options

Thanks Arod.

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

Its laughable his response. You can file a claim in under 30 seconds and have your money back the day your returned package gets delivered. Joke is truly on him. :)

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

This guy stated this card was a Topps Stickers so technically the item isn't as advertised and ebay should side with you no matter what.

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

We have to remember that the internet is available to everyone. Ev-ery-one.

Looks like it was your turn to cross paths with someone who has a loose relationship with reality. On the bright side, you ran into them online and not in person. So you have that going for you, which is nice.

Arthur

• Options
    TheMickTheMick Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    edited November 21, 2017 1:23PM

I guess this is one of the main reasons that I buy very little raw material. Too many scum bags out there. I do buy some inexpensive suff, but nothing expensive. I got burned on a 1954 Bowman Ernie Banks card that was touched up. I didn't know until I sent it in to PSA a few years after the fact. No, he doesn't have you. You have him by the b^%%s.

• Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭

Are there legit Topps Stickers of this series? I am not a basketball question so I am curious, I thought these were cards that came apart.

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you for leaving negative feedback and alerting the rest of the eBay community about this dirtbag.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 21, 2017 10:01PM

No wonder his listings are private.

"Your request is denied." That one made me chuckle.

This one, also, from one of his listings:

Let us know how to improve our business module with comments and ideas.

You will get a full refund and since it is a counterfeit card you shouldn't even be required to return it.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

There’s a recent positive feedback left for this seller where the buyer left a negative comment

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

Sucks, man. Scammers just seem to hang around this hobby...can't get rid of them

• Options
    edited January 19, 2018 2:09PM

Thanks all.
    Conclusion: eBay has resolved in my favor, and this guy will be refunding my money.
    Unfortunately, eBay is requiring me to return the card to him, so it may find it’s way on the market again.

• Options

So strange. He has a 99.2% positive feedback. I would imagine this would ruin him.

• Options

is there a way to block sellers on ebay so their items never show up on your searches?

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

A business module? Is this dude in outer space?

• Options
    ZTargZTarg Posts: 497 ✭✭✭

@hslice said:
    So strange. He has a 99.2% positive feedback. I would imagine this would ruin him.

Why would 99.2% ruin him when a huge company like Geico will tell anyone that will listen how proud they are of their 97% customer satisfaction?

• Options
    1957Braves1957Braves Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

https://www.m.ebay.com/itm/1991-Topps-Stadium-Club-Premium-Football-Brett-Favre-RC-Wax-Pack-PSA-Mint-9-/122814814720?nav=SEARCH

I hope no one beats me to this. The FASC box you can get at BBCE for $59 is a steal.

• Options

@1957Braves said:
    https://www.m.ebay.com/itm/1991-Topps-Stadium-Club-Premium-Football-Brett-Favre-RC-Wax-Pack-PSA-Mint-9-/122814814720?nav=SEARCH

I hope no one beats me to this. The FASC box you can get at BBCE for $59 is a steal.

?? And it says it ships from CT. I received my “card” from FL. I don’t know what’s happening here.

• Options
    1957Braves1957Braves Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

Then there’s this one:
    https://www.m.ebay.com/itm/1993-Upper-Deck-Top-Prospect-Original-Greensboro-New-York-Yankees-449-PSA-6-/122786556293?nav=SEARCH

Huh? It’s like he lists items, people click on them to see how absurd they are, and then accidentally buy something. Seems like a good business model.

• Options

Thanks for the warning on this ebay seller! Reminds me that I need to be more careful to read reviews on the sellers.

• Options

To close this issue: the original seller apologized and seems to be truly remorseful. He said that he was also duped by this card. I have been refunded and seller stated that he would take the card off the market for good.