Home Sports Talk
Options

Marshawn lynch stands for Mexican anthem

craig44craig44 Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Marshawn Lynch decides it makes all kinds of sense to sit for the U.S. anthem and stand for Mexico's. Apparently he doesn't know the extent to which mexico restricts free speech and journalism. What an idiot.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

Comments

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

He stood for the anthem of the united states thats what counts

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

He stood for the anthem of the united states thats what counts

Actually, he sat eating a banana when the US anthem was played earlier in the season.

TOTAL SLUG

• Options
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think Lynch should just move to Mexico

• Options

Happy Thanksgiving Paul !!

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Estados Unidos Mexicanos B)

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems he likes it there better than here. I would like see him make the salary he makes here there. So disrespectful

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well we need to be as open minded as the borders!

• Options

Hi AL! Happy Thanksgiving to you as well my friend

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

I work in Mexico City. While I would never sit for the US anthem I wouldn't mind hanging out with him dreads in all. Seems like an interesting
    dude. He literally doesn't care what you or I or anyone else thinks......... even on a big stage. That makes him somewhat unique.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

Mark I think you are a little over the top in your political correctness, it’s like you have to always lean towards the opposite way of of what most of us here believe and discuss, it’s obviously ok as your entitled to your opinion but sometimes I feel that you automatically like to go in the opposite direction just to reaffirm your stance.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't understand why so many of yuse guys get sucked in by this crap. it is what they want and goes hand-in-hand with all the scoring celebrations: these guys are nothing more than attention whores, just like the POTUS and his midnight tweets.

• Options
    edited November 20, 2017 3:56PM

@perkdog said:
    Mark I think you are a little over the top in your political correctness, it’s like you have to always lean towards the opposite way of of what most of us here believe and discuss, it’s obviously ok as your entitled to your opinion but sometimes I feel that you automatically like to go in the opposite direction just to reaffirm your stance.

I'm just saying what's on my mind. I like Marshawn Lynch. He's his own man. I'm not going to dislike him just because he doesn't stand for the national anthem. I don't roll that way.

I would stand everytime.

This has zero to do with being politically correct. I don't automatically do anything. I believe it what I believe in regardless of politics. I do lean towards the opposite way of what most of you believe on the Sports Card Forum and discuss most of the time because in those times I believe you are wrong or that there is another side. The same as I would do with my friends at the bar.

All this obviously makes me an easy target. It sure would be easier just shutting up or towing the Forum company line and piling on. I'd probably be smarter just discussing what's happening in between the lines on this Foruk and ignoring everything else.

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@keets said:
    I can't understand why so many of yuse guys get sucked in by this crap. it is what they want and goes hand-in-hand with all the scoring celebrations: these guys are nothing more than attention whores, just like the POTUS and his midnight tweets.

Oh the rare double jab. Piss off all sides with one post. I like it keets

m

• Options

Personally, I don't really care what the NFL players do in the end zone. If they wanna go crazy, let them. I have to go along with Keets above, these people are just attention whores...they don't bother me one iota. I don't watch anymore.

OTOH...the National Anthem issue does hit close to home. I can appreciate those who may view the standing or not standing as perhaps no big deal, and they're entitled to their opinion. However, if they had served in a combat zone and seen some of the horror that goes along with that, perhaps their eyes would see things differently. I was in the 1st Infantry Division in Vietnam from 1969-1970, the last few months I was based at MACY headquarters at Ton Son Nhut airbase in Saigon. But, during the 1st Infantry days, I was the Chief of Officer and Enlisted records for the Division. I saw them come and I saw them go...the faces of 18, 19 and 20 year old guys, many just out of High School that were going home, is forever embedded in my mind. They were almost in disbelief that they were finally free from the unthinkable horror most them experienced, AND, most were draftees who didn't ask to go there. When you bury friends, or act in an Official capacity for the deceased's family as I have, all these things change your life and you have an appreciation for what we have here.

I'm not on a soap box here, just sayin' that to me, those few minutes of standing for the Anthem is to show respect for those who gave it all. It's a simple thing to do, BUT...to use the Anthem as some protest gesture is just beyond lame to me and only hurts those who chose to do so and their "cause" whatever it is.

I gave a precious year of my life over there...wouldn't wanna do it again, but I paid my dues.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@perkdog said:

I work in Mexico City. While I would never sit for the US anthem I wouldn't mind hanging out with him dreads in all. Seems like an interesting
    dude. He literally doesn't care what you or I or anyone else thinks......... even on a big stage. That makes him somewhat unique.

mark

Charles Manson shared the same qualities.

• Options
    edited November 20, 2017 4:33PM

@Coinstartled said:

@Justacommeman said:

@perkdog said:

mark

Eyeroll

mark

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I heard they stood for the Queen too. Apparently burning folks in churches is well forgotten.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 20, 2017 5:33PM

@Justacommeman said:

@perkdog said:

I'm just saying what's on my mind. I like Marshawn Lynch. He's his own man. I'm not going to dislike him just because he doesn't stand for the national anthem. I don't roll that way.

I would stand everytime.

This has zero to do with being politically correct. I don't automatically do anything. I believe it what I believe in regardless of politics. I do lean towards the opposite way of what most of you believe on the Sports Card Forum and discuss most of the time because in those times I believe you are wrong or that there is another side. The same as I would do with my friends at the bar.

All this obviously makes me an easy target. It sure would be easier just shutting up or towing the Forum company line and piling on. I'd probably be smarter just discussing what's happening in between the lines on this Foruk and ignoring everything else.

m

Keep posting, Mark. This forum needs the insightful commentary you provide.

No one here is likely to change anyone else's perspective or opinion on topics like these, but it would be pretty boring if all opinions fell into lockstep.

I enjoy reading opinions of those even with whom I disagree.

At the end of the day, all this stuff is just background noise to what is truly important in life.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 20, 2017 5:39PM

@Coinstartled said:

@Justacommeman said:

@perkdog said:

mark

Is this really the comparison you want to make? Geez.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

to each their own regarding the whole anthem thing. I look at as similar to the pledge of allegiance that we said every day before school when I was growing up. in a peculiar way I don't think about all who have sacrificed when the anthem is played although my own service is what prompts how I feel. having seen a good part of how the rest of the world lives I always feel grateful to live in this place at this time.

despite everything to that goes on in the world, how could any American citizen not be happy and grateful to be living here??

• Options

Keets I agree with you, I feel very fortunate to be living in the US and feel that it’s a pretty fair place to be, me being a white guy I guess I don’t have the right to say discrimination is not as common as some say, I do keep a somewhat open mind about it. I just don’t see the social injustice being as bad as it is, I mean for god sakes anytime someone says anything there is someone out there that gets offended and in most cases needs to apologize, myself working in law enforcement I am held to a higher standard and am ok with it as I was brought up in a very non racist environment and with my job have had extensive training with sexual harassment and discrimination. With that I believe that in most cases if we use common sense nobody should get offended. That being said I just don’t see the issue with things like saying it’s wrong to sit during a flag ceremony or saying long hair in dreds grosses someone out. I think people are way to quick to throw the “Im offended” card out there. It’s ok to disagree but to get offended is a bit too much.

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 20, 2017 11:13PM

Lynch is a bonehead. Not surprised at All.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options

:)

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

At the end of the day, all this stuff is just background noise to what is truly important in life.

Yup. +1 on that. It's like after the Dodgers lost in the World Series and a couple of my friends were surprised I wasn't more upset. Pleaseeeee. It's just a baseball team that doesn't care about me. My wife, kids, job, friends and about 100 other things are more important to me than the teams I root for, who stands for the anthem, etc....

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

Respect for the flag is important to a lot of people. Especially most veterans.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭

Lots of things are important to people that doesn't make them sacrosanct.

People didn't like what CK was protesting about so they decided to make it about the flag and anthem instead. Makes them all feel better to whine about it and vilify the athletes instead of trying to understand why some people saw the need to protest in the first place. Classic diversionary tactic.

Robb

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MCMLVTopps said:
    Personally, I don't really care what the NFL players do in the end zone. If they wanna go crazy, let them. I have to go along with Keets above, these people are just attention whores...they don't bother me one iota. I don't watch anymore.

OTOH...the National Anthem issue does hit close to home. I can appreciate those who may view the standing or not standing as perhaps no big deal, and they're entitled to their opinion. However, if they had served in a combat zone and seen some of the horror that goes along with that, perhaps their eyes would see things differently. I was in the 1st Infantry Division in Vietnam from 1969-1970, the last few months I was based at MACY headquarters at Ton Son Nhut airbase in Saigon. But, during the 1st Infantry days, I was the Chief of Officer and Enlisted records for the Division. I saw them come and I saw them go...the faces of 18, 19 and 20 year old guys, many just out of High School that were going home, is forever embedded in my mind. They were almost in disbelief that they were finally free from the unthinkable horror most them experienced, AND, most were draftees who didn't ask to go there. When you bury friends, or act in an Official capacity for the deceased's family as I have, all these things change your life and you have an appreciation for what we have here.

I'm not on a soap box here, just sayin' that to me, those few minutes of standing for the Anthem is to show respect for those who gave it all. It's a simple thing to do, BUT...to use the Anthem as some protest gesture is just beyond lame to me and only hurts those who chose to do so and their "cause" whatever it is.

I gave a precious year of my life over there...wouldn't wanna do it again, but I paid my dues.

First thing I want to say MCMLVTopps is thank you for your service. I was a Ton Son Nhut in 67-68. Tet happened when I was only 2 months from coming back.

I totally agree with your post and everything in it. I just don't understand how others can't see this. I guess you had to be there! I lost a cousin over there....he was only 20!

• Options

@fergie23 said:
    Lots of things are important to people that doesn't make them sacrosanct.

People didn't like what CK was protesting about so they decided to make it about the flag and anthem instead. Makes them all feel better to whine about it and vilify the athletes instead of trying to understand why some people saw the need to protest in the first place. Classic diversionary tactic.

Robb

I totally disagree with this. I am against what CK was doing because he chose disrespecting the Flag and NA ....not because of the social injustices he was protesting. I totally agree with those that want a change in the way people are treated in this country. There is a BIG need for change.

• Options
    edited November 21, 2017 6:03PM

@DIMEMAN said:

@MCMLVTopps said:

First thing I want to say MCMLVTopps is thank you for your service. I was a Ton Son Nhut in 67-68. Tet happened when I was only 2 months from coming back.

I totally agree with your post and everything in it. I just don't understand how others can't see this. I guess you had to be there! I lost a cousin over there....he was only 20!

Lots of vets sided with the players stance as they fought for their country for other reasons then the notion is having stand for the national anthem. Part of of the reasons they fought for the county was to protect all the freedoms we have. Including the right to peacefully protest. I can't understand why everyone can't see this.

I respect your point of view.

Thank you both for your service. It's awesome

m

• Options

Dimeman...you and I discussed Ton Son Nhut and the Tet Offensive some many posts ago. We need not rehash here, only you and I would understand. Needless to say, I'm glad you survived the attack. Hard to believe that nightmare was 50 years ago!!

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion regarding the Anthem and Lynch. Mine is...respect the Anthem or get the hell out. As for Lynch, he's just a waste of time.

But, most importantly, my message to you is Welcome Home and Happy Thanksgiving! I'm gone for a few weeks to Australia and New Zealand...stay well, don't let those Cowboys give you an aneurysm.

To Justacommeman, thank you, your words have more meaning than you know.

• Options

@MCMLVTopps said:
    Dimeman...you and I discussed Ton Son Nhut and the Tet Offensive some many posts ago. We need not rehash here, only you and I would understand. Needless to say, I'm glad you survived the attack. Hard to believe that nightmare was 50 years ago!!

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion regarding the Anthem and Lynch. Mine is...respect the Anthem or get the hell out. As for Lynch, he's just a waste of time.

But, most importantly, my message to you is Welcome Home and Happy Thanksgiving! I'm gone for a few weeks to Australia and New Zealand...stay well, don't let those Cowboys give you an aneurysm.

To Justacommeman, thank you, your words have more meaning than you know.

Sorry about the rehash......I have slept since then. :| Have a great trip and Thanksgiving. Me and the Miss's and a bunch of family are going on a Cruise next week so I will be absent also. Have a good one!