Home Sports Talk
Options

The Cleveland Browns are starting to cause some excitement at home!!!

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a group of fans getting excited and wanting to hold a party in First Energy Stadium to celebrate the Browns perfect season. Things went well today and they are now 0-10. Roll on.

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

Josh Gordon should be back in a couple of weeks. That should be interesting, lol..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is talk of bringing Peyton Manning in to the front office, the Browns desperately need someone to bring something positive to the table, that franchise has been pathetic for far too long. Even the little things like drafting Kizer and then after half the season trying to go in a different direction and trade for Mcarron which the messed up, but damn why draft a QB then try to go with another guy. These people who run the Browns have 2 clues and they are both looking for each other

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have thought for a long time that it starts in the front office, but it's deeper than that and not just the franchise to blame. maybe you aren't aware of what happened when the owners went with what should have been a positive move, hiring Mike Holmgren. considering that, I am not in favor of hiring someone like Manning, a marquee GM to do the job. the bigger problem is that their is a constant thread running through the organization for the last 18 years, and it consists of three things --- the media, the fans and the management.

the media constantly harps on management, criticizes everything they do(I'm talking about local media, not national) and makes it very hard for them to make any move that has a chance. the fans are right behind them, they seem to be begging for instant success when they should know it takes time. Team management always caves and starts over, they never give anyone more than 2-3 years to get anything done.

imagine being a Head Coach who gets signed in February and has personnel that fit into whatever his predecessors plan may have been. no matter what his draft picks may be he has to start from scratch and try to get players that fit into the way he wants to play: that alone may take 2-3 seasons and the fans start screaming followed by the media if things aren't turned around by the middle of the second season. part of the problem with Cleveland is that they don't have a good scouting system and the HC is the one who suffers for that.

I know that looking at things from the outside with a franchise that is successful nothing I've said makes sense. living here and living through it year after year gives me an insight that you just don't have.

for instance, I have been saying for years that they need to stop wasting their high draft picks on QB's. with the Team as it is now, Tom Brady or any of the other elite QB's in the league would have little success and show little improvement. in short, without all the other parts of a Team any QB is a good fit that will fail. and while were, at it, since the Team as it is seems destined to lose, why should they draft with what is logic for everyone else?? they should use all their picks and all their free cash to get lineman, offensive and defensive, so that they will be strong at the point of most contact. then they can work out from there.

right now they have trouble blocking for the run and the pass while also not being very good at stopping either of those. if the Team was close to winning some games I could see going after some "skill" players, but they aren't, they are so bad that they need to have a good foundation to build on. if the front office could turn a deaf ear to the fans and the media and stay with a coach and a game philosophy for more than 20 games I feel certain that things would change.

most of all, they need to not draft a QB and then they need to weather the storm of criticism.