Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Very Pleased w/my new Epson Perfection V370...

First image is mine...second image is from PWCC where I won the card.

mint_only_pls

Comments

• Options
    ZTargZTarg Posts: 497 ✭✭✭

On your scan the bottom 2 corners are saying "hey, we're not quite NM-MT", but on PWCC's scan, not so much. Maybe it's the dark background.

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your scan looks good. Try it with the lid open. That is the way I scan all of my cards
    James

• Options
    mortizmortiz Posts: 62 ✭✭

Does anyone know what PWCC uses for their scans?

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is w/lid open...but then I exceed 2048 pixels wide and/or long on CU Focus page : (
    How do I resolve that ?

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

You could resize it using imgur.com. That is what I use to resize a lot of my scans. Congrats on adding the 58 Mantle.

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2017 9:19AM

Correct. Lid open provides greater clarity, and then crop the image so only the card is present. That is what I do with no issues - see example below.

Btw - great pickup on that 58 Mantle Monte!

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2017 9:14AM

I like the scans more with the lid open and the black background. You should be able to crop the image. I don't have an Epson scanner so I'm not sure how to do it on one. With my Canon It is pretty simple. There are several adjustments you should be able to make with each scan: brightness, contrast, sharpness, etc.
    James

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2017 9:29AM

KC pretty much covered it. I have Irfan View so whenever I open an image it opens using that software and I'm able to easily edit it. The software is free to download. So I scan with my Epson Perfection with the lid open, then open that and crop out all the dead space using Irfan View so only the card is showing. Never had a problem with the size of my images doing it that way.

Arthur

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

There should be a white box that opens in the preview scan and you just crop it how you want it to look and then hit scan and save it.

• Options

Still learning how to use my new "toy". Thanks guys for all the tips!

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    LargentcollectorLargentcollector Posts: 760 ✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2017 10:27AM

Epson scans I'm in.

My new website www.lowgradegems.com

Tim
  • Options

Great choice on the scanner, I have turned into a scan nut my cards have to be centered in the holder also lol. I haven't had my Epson for long, now I'm working on scanning all of my cards again.

Tim
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2017 11:07AM

I would imagine all Epsons work the same way?

Here it is "Pre Final" or "Overview Scan"

and here it is for the "final" scan - just put your mouse on the UPPER left corner and RIGHT click like highlighting and you'll get those hash marks that you can place around the card aka Cropping:

That's pretty much what I think people are telling you.

BTW - very nice card and scanner - this one was taken with a very inexpensive V39 Epson - it only scans - so it's small and can stay on the desk all the time - not as good as your Epson tho.

Mike
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mintonlypls Here is the 1958 Topps Mickey Mantle card cropped using "Paint" that comes with most computers if not all.

A very nice scan of a very nice card.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭

How in hell is that Montana only an 8?!!

• Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭

centering t-b??

• Options

No scratches, dents, surface wrinkles, and back is centered and looks great. So yeah T/B, but looks minty to me.

Tim
  • Options
    BatpigBatpig Posts: 460 ✭✭✭

That's the best 8 I've ever seen. No bubbles or anything?

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 21, 2017 4:41PM

@mintonlypls are you using windows or mac? I am on windows. I recommend to set everything to defaults in Epson Scan, change the DPI to 400, set sharpen at low, scan with the lid up and the card offset from the edge of the scanner bed. I put a ruler down against the edge of the scanner bed on the glass and then bump my card against the ruler. Then I carefully remove the ruler before I preview and scan. You will want to run a preview, use the auto crop button (it actually works fairly well properly cropping the scan), then press the zoom button, then adjust the crop box manually if needed and hit scan. I save to a lossless TIFF file and save to jpg in photoshop. I need to convert to jpg so I can post to my PSA registry. I have been trying to get a process that works with no tweaking of the scan. The one below has no tweaking, just the settings i mentioned above. Make sure your scanner glass and card are free of any lint/dirt. Everything will show.

Nice card you posted. @Largentcollector again, nice scan too!

Been obsessively playing around with my Epson V600 for a couple weeks. Provides great results with the Epson Scan software. I tried vuescan, tried profiling my scanner with an it8 profile. Nothing seemed to get me what I wanted, so I went back to the Epson software. Happy scanning!

• Options

NGS428...

I am using a mac w/dpi @300 and lid open but place the card at the edge of the scanner so that it is straight. I scanned 10 cards last night:

1. '64 Rose psa-9
    2. '66 Rose psa-9
    3. '66 Mantle psa-8.5
    4. '65 Perez psa-9
    5. '67 Perez psa-9
    6. '63 Marichal psa-9
    7. '65 Carlton psa-9
    8. '63 Banks psa-9
    9. '63 Koufax psa-9
    10. '63 Mays psa-8.5

The cards are on Collector Focus under the Title "Monte's Monets thru the eyes of Topps" if anyone wants to look at my partial collection...I have 57 cards to scan.

mint_only_pls
  • Options

@mortiz said:
    Does anyone know what PWCC uses for their scans?

I have asked, but I have never received a response.

• Options

@mintonlypls

I use a really cheap card in a slab and put it in the middle and stack the card above it and then move away the under card. It is much easier to create a nice square scan moving the box in from all four corners. Lots of practice!

• Options

@Dpeck100 said:
    @mintonlypls

I use a really cheap card in a slab and put it in the middle and stack the card above it and then move away the under card. It is much easier to create a nice square scan moving the box in from all four corners. Lots of practice!

I have heard of that method too. I use the ruler because I know it is straight. I have a few card slabs that are not so straight on the edges.. The ruler hangs off the front of the scanner too, so I don't need to potentially touch the glass when removing it. A million ways to skin this cat.....

• Options

@NGS428

Yes that's true but if you put it on the side the edge that is on the side generally looks off relative to your other edges.

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mintonlypls said:
    NGS428...

I am using a mac w/dpi @300 and lid open but place the card at the edge of the scanner so that it is straight. I scanned 10 cards last night:

1. '64 Rose psa-9
    2. '66 Rose psa-9
    3. '66 Mantle psa-8.5
    4. '65 Perez psa-9
    5. '67 Perez psa-9
    6. '63 Marichal psa-9
    7. '65 Carlton psa-9
    8. '63 Banks psa-9
    9. '63 Koufax psa-9
    10. '63 Mays psa-8.5

The cards are on Collector Focus under the Title "Monte's Monets thru the eyes of Topps" if anyone wants to look at my partial collection...I have 57 cards to scan.

Monte - nice group you have on your CF page, and the 71 Reggie and Clemente are awesome. 66 Mantle 8.5 too. The 57 Mantle 8.5 goes without saying - tough card to find.

KC

• Options

Thx Keith for the kind words!

mint_only_pls
  • Options

Scan came out crooked, but I am very happy. I tried the open top tip with my Epson V600.

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options

@SpinFadeSplash23 said:
    Scan came out crooked, but I am very happy. I tried the open top tip with my Epson V600.

Looking good! Are you using any sharpening, color correction or other settings? I assume you are using Epson Scan.

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

@Largentcollector said:
    No scratches, dents, surface wrinkles, and back is centered and looks great. So yeah T/B, but looks minty to me.

This may be worthy of resub. The t/b looks to fall within 9 specs.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

Now it's straight! LOL

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone know any good CCD scanners that are WiFi enabled vs USB?

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options

@dictoresno said:
    Anyone know any good CCD scanners that are WiFi enabled vs USB?

When I purchased my V600 there weren't any options that wasn't a plug in kind. Perhaps there is something on the market like this but I doubt it is just over $200 like my scanner was.

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@initialD said:

Agreed!

• Options
    initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭

Right. I've seen more egregious 10's nevermind 9's.

• Options
    Nascar360Nascar360 Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭

I have different colored paper. I use to lay over the card so I can scan with the lid closed and the color comes through the plastic. https://psacard.com/psasetregistry/misc-sports/company-sets/1988-maxx-myrtle-beach/alltimeset/27633