Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Post a non-round coin...

I saw a squared quarter in a thread earlier today... that was a new one for me. Here's a hexagonal coin and a rounded-diamond one. Post yours...

Comments

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

A photo I made for someone who was pontificating that part of the definition of 'coin' is 'round'. Obviously a billion or so people might disagree ;). Posted elsewhere, don't think I've done so here:

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

While many ancient coins are defintely "non-round", and many more ancients are in the "trying to be round, but failing" category, this one has got to be my favourite.

Celtic tribes, Coriosolites of Armorica (north-western France and the Channel Islands), base-silver unit, circa 57 BC (around the time of Caesar's invasion of northern Gaul).

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sapyx, what is being depicted on your very cool Celtic tribal coin?

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 17, 2017 8:38PM

(Not as green as the image suggests; in fact, it may be just my monitor's calibration because my eyes see no green nor do others. So, if you do not see any greenish hue in this image, then it is definitely just me...)

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool coins @EVillageProwler!

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

1624 Augsburg Pfennig

1956 Burma 10 Pya

1978 India 5 Paise

1990 Iraq 250 Fils

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mvs7 said:
    @Sapyx, what is being depicted on your very cool Celtic tribal coin?

Most Celtic coins are copied off designs found on the coins the Macedonians paid their Celtic mercenaries with. In this case, the design is based on a gold stater of Philip II, with Apollo on the obverse and a two-horse chariot on the other. Here, at least half of a horse and most of the chariot has survived quite well. As a general rule, the further west you go in Celtic lands, the more degenerate the designs become, as they are copies of copies of copies. Celtic British coins are just a bunch of randomly placed sticks, dots and lines with only a vague impression of a face or a horse.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)