Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Recent Auction Result - Exhibit Vending Machines

ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

It's been awhile since I have posted because work has got me slammed. However, Along with collecting the cardboard, I am always trying to expand on non-card memorabilia. I'm not too much into flat memorabilia (pictures, posters, etc), but more in stuff that can sit on shelves, or stand on the floor. I am stoked with something that popped up in a local estate auction.

One of my businesses is in architectural salvage and antiques, so I was bidding in an auction for items to put in our store warehouse. Then I saw it. A listing labeled "Lot of 2 vintage tabletop card dispensers," which was missed by me during my once over of the catalog. Then a couple days before the auction, I went through the list again and I saw it. Then I looked closer. None other than Exhibit vending machines from the late 30s early 40s. One of the machines still had the 1939-1946 Joe DiMaggio Exhibit card. The other machine had 2 pinup girls. It was awesome and I ended up getting them for an incredible price. I picked it up today and am so happy with them - even in the condition that they are in. I got a ton more in the auction, but this was one of the first pieces I loaded up.

Comments

• Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

That's awesome but why only a close up of joe?

• Options

You got it! Here you go @rcmb3220

• Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

awesome..so how does the mechanism work? and how much if i may ask, or rather, what is the lowest that youre allowed to bid? congrats on some cool machines and great that ur gonna rescue them...cant wait to see the end product

Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options

@seebelow Great questions. I ended up getting these for $65 each. The auction was for both together. The auction started at $5. I'm thinking I am going to leave one in its current condition - to preserve its "life" - and then the other one I am going to redo.

The mechanism is fairly easy. They are penny machines. You put the penny in the pull tab and push back. When pulled forward, a card would come forward. I have some mechanical things to clean out and get working again. We shall see!

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ugaskidawg Congrats on winning the awesome Exhibit vending machines. :+1::+1:

That is a great idea restoring one and leaving the other original.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great pickup! Congrats.

• Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭

Brent, those are super cool. Nice pick ups!

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool pickup!

I've never seen them "double" mounted to a wood base before - that makes it extra special for me.

The coin slots would look great if re-chromed and the body powder coated in the original colors/paint texture?

Mike
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

@Stone193 said:
    Cool pickup! I've never seen them "double" mounted to a wood base before - that makes it extra special for me. The coin slots would look great if re-chromed and the body powder coated in the original colors/paint texture.

THIS! Would love to see the one that gets restored. BEST OF LUCK!

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2017 8:24AM

Thanks guys!

@Stone193 - Mike, the bases are metal as well, but I agree, I have not seen them double mounted like this. The ones that I have seen in the past, look like these (restored and unrestored):

Both of these have the Exhibit mark on the front. My machines have the exhibit mark on the bottom of the bases.

I'd like to get one of the machines to look like the one restored above. I do know the original color is a green similar to the one above. In the DiMaggio machine, the side with no glass or card, the machine shows the original green. The bottom of the machine also has some of the original green paint. It has become project #427 on my list of things to do around the house, so we'll see when it gets finished. Looking forward to it however!

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've always wanted one of those to refurbish and display, great pickup. When you do decide to start work on it, please update the thread as I would love to live vicariously through you, if you wouldn't mind. :)

Arthur

• Options

@ReggieCleveland - I will definitely update as things progress!

Here are 2 more pictures I took during lunch today, referencing things that have been written in previous posts.. One shows the original green paint and the other is the Exhibit stamp on the bottom of the machine.