Home Sports Talk

Great time to be a Celtics fan

erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

That was a great test last night for a young Celtics team,beating GS to keep their win streak alive at 14 games. This 2017 team is so different from the 2016 team that lost in the conference finals to Cleveland and so much better already,its a shame we didn't get the chance to see Gordon Hayward play this year.

Comments

• mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

That team's looking good so far. As a lifelong Lakers fan, I vaguely remember what having a great team is like. Hopefully, we'll have another classic Celtics-Lakers final in a few (cough, cough) years. ;)

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd love to see the 3rd installment of the Celtics-Lakers rivalry happen. It's pretty much a foregone conclusion that LA will be adding a star free agent or two in the next couple years(hopefully not this season seeing Boston owns the Lakers 2018 1st round pick if it lands 2-5 :p ) so LA will probably be contending in just a few years. Philly should be too with all of that talent.

Watching the whole GS-Cleveland dominance the past few years, I know what other people must've thought of the Celtics-Lakers rivalry. I thought, though, that we've already had three installments of the rivalry: 1960s West/Baylor vs. Russell et al (You might not be counting this one because the Celtics beat the Lakers in the finals like 7 times and didn't lose... but they were still the dominant teams of that era), Showtime 1980's era (Bird/Magic, enough said), and more recent Kobe era. Or are you just thinking of the 2008 and 2010 finals split? I'm not old enough to remember the 1960s, which is good for me as a Laker fan, but I was a teenager during the 1980s Bird/Magic showdowns in '84, '85, and '87.

edited November 17, 2017 12:29PM

the 60's was before my time,i meant the 3rd time around for me. I watched all of the 80's games then the more recent Pierce,KG & Allen vs Kobe & Gasol.

that 50-60's era was very one sided in the head to head championship category lol.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great to see this young team beat a powerhouse like GS, 14 in a row is a great thing for all the Celtics fans out there especially since they lost such a promising player in the first 5 minutes of the season!

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:
    I'd love to see the 3rd installment of the Celtics-Lakers rivalry happen. It's pretty much a foregone conclusion that LA will be adding a star free agent or two in the next couple years(hopefully not this season seeing Boston owns the Lakers 2018 1st round pick if it lands 2-5 :p ) so LA will probably be contending in just a few years. Philly should be too with all of that talent.

Lebron????? His douchness will be leaving cleveland at the end of the year

@bronco2078 said:

@erikthredd said:

Lebron????? His douchness will be leaving cleveland at the end of the year

Yup probably to the Lakers or Rockets or whatever franchise willing to let him play GM.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lebron has really put it to the Cleveland fans over the years.

@DIMEMAN said:
    Lebron has really put it to the Cleveland fans over the years.

And brought them a championship for the first time in forever, so yes to drama, but its not all bad.