Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Some interesting places in the PCGS Pop Report...

This is what happens when you have too much time on your hands...

I was "leafing" through the World Coins pop report earlier today and noticed, under "W", the "nation" of "Westeros." No coins graded, but (being a fan of Game of Thrones) I figured somebody was having a little fun. So, I thought I would look to see if any of the other kingdoms in GoT were listed under other letters. Didn't find any, but did catch a number of listings that looked a little suspect:

Paradise (not sure what this refers to)__
Purple Shaftieuland (somebody's way of laughing at NCLT, with actual "coins")
Outer Baldonia (a "principality" of fishermen on an island off Nova Scotia created in 1949 and heavily criticized by the Soviet Union...maybe...)
Bermania (Allen's kingdom, I believe)
Isle of Heliopolis (do a search and you'll find a website)
Enderbyland (My first thought was Orson Scott Card's Ender, but it turns out there is a Enderby Land in Antarctica, and a guy has minted fantasy coins in some unusual metals for it)
Damanhur (which does exist, sort of...)

My personal favorite is "Nichtsburg-Zilchstadt," which has both coins and stamps.

The more I looked, the more I discovered about fantasy coins and micro/fantasy nations; there's a website with a remarkably long list:

http://www.chiefacoins.com/Database/Micro-Nations/

And, it turns out that somebody has "minted" coins for Westeros. I had initially though BJ Searls and her staff were having a little fun, but it seems they had reason for adding these "nations" to the listings. As of now, no coins for any of these "places" have been graded, but who knows what the future will bring... :)

Comments