Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Help! Any Islamic coin experts here?

Recently I have been expanding my world coin collection into the fascinating areas of India and Arabia. I usually buy the coins identified, but you know - sometimes you get an offer you can't refuse!

I am having a hard time identifying these two coins. Can anyone help?

The first one is a multiple dirhem, probably a thousand years old. It came with a note that said "Samanios of Transoxania, Mansor I, 961-976 AD". Very nice identification - only problem is, when I look up coins with this ID on the internet, they don't look like my coin... so what have I got here?

The second coin is from Persia. It was described as a "kran" from the 1800s, but the weight is not correct. Mine is 5,42 gram, krans are supposed to be 6,91 gram. Diameter is 18 mm. Metal is silver. What is this?

I would be very thankful for any help with these :)

Ebay user name: 00MadMuffin00

Comments

• Options
    coinpro76coinpro76 Posts: 366 ✭✭✭

Both of these are definitely Arabic. The first is whats known as a broad silver Dirham, but placing their timeline/empire and specific region can be challenging it will take a lot of photo comparison, unless your fairly fluent in Arabic which I am assuming most of us here are. Most likely Northern Iran.

Here is a similar coin which sold at auction
    https://www.numisbids.com/n.php?p=lot&sid=406&lot=21691

all around collector of many fine things

• Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭

The first coin is frequently called a "multiple dirhem" as well.

It's from probably from the Samanid islamic dynasty. (Though it could be Ghaznavid or Banijurid)

https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options

Thanks for your inputs so far. Is there a serious group like this one somewhere that specifies in Islamic coins? Just in case WaACF cannot nail these two ;)

Ebay user name: 00MadMuffin00