Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1962 Mantle psa-8.5...

Sold for $14k in PWCC Auction! I stopped bidding at ~$13.75k. I had planned to consign my Reggie RC psa-9 in lieu of payment...but in the end decided I would rather own my Reggie. Good decision?

mint_only_pls

Comments

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

That 8.5 was a monster of a card and a grade you rarely see come up for sale.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 15, 2017 8:02AM

Sorry, I have to say very bad decision. I love the 1962's and they are impossible to find above an 8. Beautifully centered and the edges might be better in hand than the scan. Dark bordered cards (especially 1962's, 1971's and 75's) often look worse because of the light from scanner "magnifying" white on the dark background.

I also was never a Reggie fan, but if he's your guy, you have to do what makes you happy!

Just looked at Reggie rookies and was surprised at how much they go for in a 9!

In taking that into consideration, I would say that it comes down to who you liked better. $19,000.00 for a Jackson rookie. Just WOW.

Pop report shows fifteen 9's and one 10 for the Mantle and thirty-seven 9's and one 10 for Jackson.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    TheMickTheMick Posts: 217 ✭✭✭

I think you have to stick with the RC. JMHO.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd be lucky to ever own either one in those grades, but if I could only choose one over the other to add to my personal collection, I'd go with the Reggie rookie.

• Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

beautiful card thats worth the premium for a centered non chipped deep brown border

Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 15, 2017 8:55PM

@seebelow said:
    beautiful card thats worth the premium for a centered non chipped deep brown border

Those edges are very strong - hard to find much a much better example.

• Options
    MintacularMintacular Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know what that black mark on the back ?

• Options
    MintacularMintacular Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭

Next to "d" in drive

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does it appear short in the holder? Someone pointed that out to me...

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭

@Mintacular said:

Next to "d" in drive

The small blotch next to the "d" in drive on the back, I would say was there since printed, just a goober/stain embedded in the cardboard stock as made.

• Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

I would rather have the Mantle. Certainly your decision was rational.

• Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

Great problem to have...I missed it or may have pulled the trigger.

"Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 18, 2018 11:14PM

Nice card. Would choose the Mantle. Card looks absolutely fine in terms of size.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭

is there a small "tilt" to the rear of the card??? was that on the front??? For that money on a 8.5 id have to have no "tilt" to the card....