Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PWCC Certified High End 1986 Fleer GEM MINT 10 Jordan RC. A bit over assessed?

secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 12, 2017 8:12AM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

PWCC Certified High End 1986 Fleer GEM MINT 10 Jordan RC. A bit over assessed?

The write up on this card is as unbelievable as the assessment. I love PWCC, but I find this one to be off.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-Fleer-Basketball-Michael-Jordan-ROOKIE-RC-57-PSA-10-GEM-MINT-PWCC-HE-/352206814384?hash=item5201297cb0

Comments

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would think the back would be perfectly centered as well for PWCC to give it the HE designation. Plus with a 10 isn't that overkill with the HE. Kind of like "she is Miss Universe, she is a genius, and she also likes to collect cards and watch football."

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rather have an '84 #101.

Arthur

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

based strictly on the scan of this psa 11, i do not fancy the b/r corner or the blue sections (especially the top one) along the right edge

• Options
    initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭

Front centering looks a degree off side to side
    And the blue chipping and lower right corner both stick out
    Would love to own it, I think the HE stamp is more to give the market a shot in the arm

• Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

This one looks more HE than the gwynn rookie they have with that designation. I'm puzzled as to why they'd use that on a psa 10 especially ones that could have easily graded a 9.

• Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

Honest question: Does anyone else think that the whole "HE designation" thing should just go away? I understand it's probably good for all parties involved, but is it a conflict of interest to have a dealer also be a grader? Asking for a friend...

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

People need to get over the HE designation, if you don't like the card don't bid on it. Dealers/sellers have been over rating their stuff forever.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

its off left to right...and the "holy cow" leads me to believe that they hired a new writer....id almost bet $ its not the usual writer....also the lower right edge isn't the most clean cut I've ever seen

Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

They arguably really butchered the spelling of arguably.

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like a beauty

• Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

love it

Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭

PSA 6

Chaz

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

Buy the card, not the pwcc che designation...in this case i would buy the card...only if i had the $$$$$$

• Options
    MeferMefer Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭

"Why is it better?"
    "It goes to 11?"
    "Why not make 10 the highest?"
    "It goes to 11."

• Options

@ReggieCleveland said:
    Rather have an '84 #101.

Arthur

Hey Arthur, Do you have the 84 Star Jordan? I seen on the "pick ups" thread where you just bought the other Star XRC's. Just curious.

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

PWCC’s HE designation certainly makes a difference in this recent sale. VCP prior to the sale was $717.11 with the previous high being $1402. Mind blown!

• Options

My snipe got smoked on that one, and I went well above the previous VCP high. Beautifully centered card, but even a 6.5/7 sells for nowhere near $2500 - that is a buy and hold card for sure.

• Options

That is a crack out and take it to the garage card for sure. :)

Arthur

• Options

Couldn't disagree more on the above Mantle example being influenced by PWCC!

The card is one of the most mentioned by Mantle collectors as being a favorite, and the centering is superb. I would also agree without the PWCC hype that it IS one high end card! Looks like it should have been at least a 6.5, but hard to tell from a scan.

In checking completed ebay auctions it looks like the few nicely centered ones go for more than a higher graded less than well centered ones.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    1957Braves1957Braves Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

The item description states that PWCC does not grade cards and relies on the reputation and opinion of 3rd party graders.

So, they won’t grade cards, but they will grade the grade of graded cards? Am I missing something?

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd like to see a SL designation for sliders. Cards you are confident that if you cracked and resubmitted would get a lower grade.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seeing something on this auction I have never seen. The 17 bid stack.

• Options

@1957Braves said:
    The item description states that PWCC does not grade cards and relies on the reputation and opinion of 3rd party graders.

So, they won’t grade cards, but they will grade the grade of graded cards? Am I missing something?

Yes, I think you are.

In my way of thinking all they are doing is saying "this is a REALLY NICE card for the grade assigned." now if they said here's a 9 that PSA incorrectly graded a 7, I would agree with the whiners on this thread.

Seems to me everyone on ebay who lists a "high end" card adds a comment pointing out an attribute that makes that particular card stand out in comparison to other similarly graded cards.

Does it also bother you when items are listed at $19.95 instead of $20.00?

• Options
    1957Braves1957Braves Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

@1957Braves said:

Yes, I think you are.

In my way of thinking all they are doing is saying "this is a REALLY NICE card for the grade assigned." now if they said here's a 9 that PSA incorrectly graded a 7, I would agree with the whiners on this thread.

Seems to me everyone on ebay who lists a "high end" card adds a comment pointing out an attribute that makes that particular card stand out in comparison to other similarly graded cards.

Does it also bother you when items are listed at $19.95 instead of $20.00?

They aren’t card graders, so how can they say “this is a REALLY nice card for the grade assigned”? If the person consigning wants that verbiage in the listing, then fine. Assigning a high-end certification from your own company’s scale is grading a grade.

A high-end certification by your assesment on a card (other than the top grade for that grading company) comes pretty close to saying they think the card may be under-graded, which they wouldn’t be able to do because they don’t grade cards.

To your point, nothing wrong with saying “displays nicely for the grade” and I agree many listings will have some sort of language about the superior condition of that card compared to others.

I just don’t like the quasi-official high-end certification gimmick from a company that, you know, doesn’t grade cards but knows a high-end example of a grade when it sees one because they’ve been doing this for 15 years so just trust them on that and pay more for it.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

I feel a PSA card that is high end for the grade has a .5 at the end of the grade.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me, the certified high-end designation is no different from sellers using "HIGH END" to describe the cards they are selling. Obviously, it's a marketing strategy and in the case of a seller as popular as PWCC that opinion is going to carry some weight. All cards within the grade are not created equal, but at the end of the day, collectors should use their own judgement to determine whether a card is high end for the grade.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@grote15 said:
    For me, the certified high-end designation is no different from sellers using "HIGH END" to describe the cards they are selling. Obviously, it's a marketing strategy and in the case of a seller as popular as PWCC that opinion is going to carry some weight. All cards within the grade are not created equal, but at the end of the day, collectors should use their own judgement to determine whether a card is high end for the grade.

+1

Excellent advice and spot on. As always buy the grade and not the holder.

• Options
    edited November 17, 2017 4:49AM

I agree with Tim. Also, I have to say, I haven't seen a single example of the HE used by PWCC that was even close to being iffy. It seems like they truly only break it out for the rare few. Of course, I don't follow PWCC auctions regularly so in this, as in every other subject matter, my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt.

Arthur