Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Collectors Club Platinum 15 card renewal sub popped today...

Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 10, 2017 9:07PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Really excited to get these results.

The card I was most concerned with the outcome of in this sub was the Brock Sweet Spot. I cracked out a BGS 9.5 and sent it in raw and it got the 10. This is the card that got me buying cards again in 2009 so really exciting to land the first 10 after years of buying the card. So far this is the first UFC auto to grade a 10 as well and the copy I dropped in the thick case when opening it on my kitchen tile floor and thought for sure I ruined it only to find no damage.

The Hart Foundation card is really exciting. I traded away my 9 and have an 8. This copy came from a box of the Series II I bought and the top pack was a Series III and the rest Series II. I thought this was a lock for a 10 and so lucky that pack was in the box.

The 1986 Panini Supersport Ayrton Senna is a really nice score. I sold the 9 I submitted and got a terrible price and I think the reason was due to no international buyers. This is one of those cards that could have gone either way and happy it got the nod and graded a 10!

The Mike Tyson is why I bought the Panini stickers. This is the utra rare Gritti back. When I bought the set I was hoping it would grade a PSA 8. I have the only 9 and really like this variation.

The Undertaker was really tough to determine what to expect with the chipping on the back. I think a PSA 7 is fair.

I have been sitting on this Dick Slater for about a year and a half. I was afraid to send it in and turn my Pop 1 into a Pop 2. I finally determined it was a 9 and was going to take the risk. Very pleased it got a 9!!! Pretty cheap raw card that is now worth a lot more than my cost basis.

The WCW Auto's looked like PSA 9's to me and surprisingly there haven't been that many graded.

The Andre Agassi didn't grade very high but it is the most rare back so that is pretty cool.

Line # Item # Cert # Grade Description Type
1 1 28221529 GEM MINT 10 2009 Topps Ufc Autograph FA-BL Brock Lesnar Card
2 1 28221530 GEM MINT 10 2004 Upper Deck Sweet Spot 203 Brock Lesnar Card
3 1 28221531 MINT 9 1999 Topps WCW/Nwo Nitro Authentic Signatures Goldberg Card
4 1 28221532 MINT 9 1999 Topps WCW/Nwo Nitro Authentic Signatures Scott Hall Card
5 1 28221533 NEAR MINT 7 2001 Fleer WWF Raw Is War Booty Autographs WBA2 Undertaker Card
6 1 28221534 MINT 9 1983 Wrestling All-Stars 28 Dick Slater Card
7 1 28221535 NEAR MINT 7 1982 Wrestling All-Stars-Series B 7 Kerry Von Erich Card
8 1 28221536 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1982 Wrestling All-Stars-Series B 9 Brad Rheingans Card
9 1 28221537 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1982 Wrestling All-Stars Series A 36 the Destroyer Card
10 1 28221538 GEM MINT 10 1989-1990 WWF Super Stars of Wrestling-Series 3 8 the Hart Foundation Card
11 1 28221539 GEM MINT 10 1986 Panini Supersport Italian 31 Ayrton Senna Card
12 1 28221540 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1988 Panini Supersport Italian 141 Michael Jordan Lorenzo-#16 Card
13 1 28221541 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1988 Panini Supersport Italian 160 Mike Tyson Gritti-#114 Card
14 1 28221542 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1988 Panini Supersport Italian 199 Andre Agassi Andrea Carnevale-#80 Card
15 1 28221543 VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4 1988 Panini Supersport Italian 164 Julio Cesar Chavez Pasculli-#63 Card

Comments

• Options

Love the 99 WCW autos. Congrats on the great sub. Post pics if you can!

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice results. Great job with the crack and sub on the Sweet Spot Lesnar.

• Options

Thanks guys. I should have these back by Wednesday and will definitely scan some and post pics.

I have another stack running with some of the Panini stickers but will really need to look those over better and be very selective on which one's I send in. I must have missed a wrinkle or minor crease on the Chavez as a PSA 4 was not what I was expecting there. Even though the Jordan didn't grade very high it is still a cool looking card and from Michael's prime years.

It is so much fun chasing down raw cards and sending them in yourself. This Brock will be replacing the PSA 9 I have in the case it is in on the wall and 31 out of 36 cards in it have been submitted by me. If you look a the Pop report for the Sweet Spot set the cards do not look that condition sensitive as the percentage of 10's submitted is high but I can attest these are not easy to find in Mint or higher condition. It seems so many have touched corners or chipping on them. I have sent in the two PSA 9's and those I knew shouldn't grade a 10 but this copy is in perfect condition.

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

David,

Congrats on the Sweet Spot Lesnar!!! :+1::+1:

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2017 8:09AM

Here are some raw scans.

• Options
    edited November 11, 2017 8:15AM

• Options
    Tecmo BoilTecmo Boil Posts: 259 ✭✭✭

Nice!!
    What do you think you missed on the KVE 7?

• Options

I was hoping for an 8 on the Von Erich. Centering was probably to low top to bottom.

The Brad R has perfect centering but a touched back corner so I just wanted it slabbed as I try and find the nicest looking cards I can for my collection.

The Destroyer I am puzzled on. I would not have sent that in had I known it would grade a 6.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dpeck100 Congrats on the grades especially the Brock 10 you were hoping for. I love the Panini Italian stickers too and learned the hard way on my last sub that these stickers are much harder to grade than standard cards.
    Do you own all three variations of the Tyson?

• Options

Thanks for the comments guys.

Yes I have all three in their highest grade.

• Options
    edited November 11, 2017 3:26PM

That David Shultz clip never gets old!!!

The reason why I had to track down a copy of his Rax Roast Beef card.

• Options
    edited November 16, 2017 8:51AM

Already having an annoying day and this just made it worse. PSA chipped my Brock. Ugh. Unbelievable. 8 years down the drain.

• Options

Here are the scans of the 15 cards.

• Options

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

David,

The cards look really great in the slabs. :+1::+1:

Too bad about the small nick on the Lesnar, it's my favorite out of this group and I'm not a football guy. I had a few Nolan Ryan PSA 10's returned like that. Sometimes it can happen just from the return shipping trip.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options

@divecchia Thanks for the comment. It was like a dagger to the heart this morning to open the box and see the Lesnar. This is the card that got me introduced to wrestling cards in 2009 and I have been actively buying them the entire time. I showed my wife and she knows how detail oriented high grade card collecting is and saw the issue but we both agreed the fact the card was perfect still makes it very high grade. Disappointing but the hunt will continue.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    I love the Tyson!

The Gritti backs are super tough to find.

I am curious why certain athletes have various backs from the set. Some have one, others two and some three.

• Options

@CrissCriss said:
    DUDE. I know you're bummed on part of it but grades are still great. Nice work!

Thanks bro. Definitely some nice additions to my collection.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dpeck100 said:

@erikthredd said:
    I love the Tyson!

The Gritti backs are super tough to find.

I am curious why certain athletes have various backs from the set. Some have one, others two and some three.

You got me there. I was going to ask you that same question. I could be wrong but i thought i read something somewhere that packs from this set were distributed in Italy & Spain,maybe the single player stickers were sent to one country and the two player stickers the other. I own the Jordan variation with no soccer player that i had graded but i had the same sticker in worse condition before buying the nicer one and that original MJ sticker came from a seller in Spain. Could be Spain got the singe player stickers while Italy got the dual player stickers. Just a guess.

• Options

@erikthredd I opened a few Italian packs a few years ago and got a few Supersport backs. No clue on why certain athletes have different backs.

• Options
    edited November 23, 2017 1:58PM

I finally had some time to look these over and look for what I missed.

I am working on a CC special sub and reviewed some of the other Panini's I had pulled and found one with a surface crease. The Chafez has one. I was expecting a 9! Haha.

I have no clue how The Destroyer is a 6.

The Agassi has a lot of PD in the photo and touched corners. I underestimated the PD but it is distracting.

The Jordan is diamond cut, the reverse is 90/10 and a little PD. Still a keeper for me.

I really like the newer style holder and it was cool when I had these on my desk at work a mutual fund wholesaler popped in on me. We have talked many times about cards and she has seen images but never held one. It's always cool when someone with no connection to cards holds a graded card and says wow these look so good in these holders. These are awesome!

• Options

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 24, 2017 7:08AM

@Dpeck100 said:
    Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Hi Dpeck, I assumed you used your V600 to scan these. They are very nice. We discussed how you center you slabs in another thread. I am curious of any settings (sharpen, etc) you use in Epson Scan and any post processing you may do. If you are willing, please provide some insight to us.

Thanks!

• Options

@NGS428

I just have it on 300 DPI. No special settings.

I try and square the card in the holder the best I can. If it has a mylar sleeve I just tap the holder at the opposite end of where the card is to move it down to a better position in the holder. Like I said in the other thread you can't take a good scan with the card pushed to one edge of the scanner because one border will always be off so I put the card in the middle of the scanner and stack it on top of another slab that is positioned at the bottom and then slowly pull that slab away and make sure I didn't inadvertently move the slab being scanned. Next I do the preview scan and crop it the best I can.

I do most of my scanning at night and with the lid open so I can get it pitch black. It really makes the cards pop.

Some scans turn out better than others depending on how much I have been drinking. Haha.

I bought the scanner to generate some scans for the SMR instead of mailing them my cards and what is great about it is the DPI rating is high enough to create scans that will work for a print magazine. My other scanner is a HP all in one and it isn't in the same realm.

I did all of the scans for the PSA Card Facts page for the 1982 Wrestling All Stars Series A and B so it really was a great investment. Not to mention when you sell cards on EBAY better quality scans lead to higher prices generally speaking.

I am thrilled with it!

• Options

They seem to have graded your stickers pretty tough. Good stuff none-the-less!