Home Q & A Forum
Options

Sealing 2x2 Holder

jafo50jafo50 Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of thinning out my collection via selling on ebay or some other venue. My question is if you sell a raw coin (ungraded) and ship it in a 2 x 2 how do you secure the 2 x 2 to prevent the buyer from swapping the coin and claiming "not as described" to ebay. Other then stapling the edges of the 2 x 2 have you ever used small security tape to seal the 2 x 2? I'm not being paranoid about this but would just like to cover all bases just in case I encounter a dishonest buyer. Basically if the seal is broke the coin is not returnable.

Your thoughts?

Successful BST transactions with lordmarcovan, Moldnut, erwindoc

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

AFAIK, there is really no way to protect yourself fully. I have heard horror stories. Good photos of the coin on Ebay will ID the coin + a signed confirmation of receipt is the best you can do. Use Registered Mail if the item is valuable.

• Options

Thanks for the advice. Good photos and signed delivery seems like the way to go.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum @jafo50 :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

Thanks

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok, here is what I often do. It works perfectly and if properly done is perfectly safe without metal staples:

1 take detailed high resolution images.
    2 insert coin in to 2x2
    3 seal 2x2 with regular sticky tape tight NOT with metal staples
    4 use my old desk seal** to actually seal the tape.**
    5 this scares most "culprits" from removing / changing the coin as any alterations will be visible on the tape.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice seal :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not encountered this but perhaps your coins are of a higher value then mine?

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

its not the value. It is being careful. was looking for a long time for a better methiod. was even looking for plastic staples... No GO. so a friend suggested to seal the tape. I have not used staples for a long time..
    Stopped after I wanted to remove staples and accidentally scratched the coin...

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options

That's a great solution YQQ. I looked into buying "security stickers" on Amazon but that would be an ongoing expense which could actually be defeated if someone wanted to. Just checked ebay and low and behold there is an antique desk top legal seal for $9 + shipping. You learn something new every day.