Home Sports Talk

Do not shoplift in China.

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just read a report that 3 UCLA basketball players have been arrested in China for shoplifting. If convicted they could receive a 10 year prison sentence.

Comments

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stupid is...Stupid does!!!!!

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

All this for allegedly stealing sunglasses from a Louis Vuiiton store next to their Hyatt Regency hotel.

IF found guilty, I'd toss them from UCLA, but I'm sure it'll get swept under the rug, especially with the Prez in the country.

You just can't fix STUPID.

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 8, 2017 1:27PM

Looks like Daddy Ball needs to change the brand from Big Baller's to Big Hauler's

• Not even in the NBA yet, and this next Ball already has his first confirmed steal!

• coinpro76coinpro76 Posts: 366 ✭✭✭
    edited November 8, 2017 3:02PM

all around collector of many fine things

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

An hour later...they need to steal again.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I came in here to LOL at the disagree battle :#

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are lucky they were not in North Korea :o

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely hilarious Bronco two thumbs up for that :p

edited November 8, 2017 6:37PM

@perkdog said:

Get caught in Iran and it will be one thumb up.

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wondering how Daddy will spin this one

• larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭

I am curious what UCLA does. That Ball kid is probably the worst of the three Ball boys and I believe the other kids he was with are bigger name freshman so Ball is not the real story here. UCLA will probably give them 2-3 game suspension but I doubt more than that.

Maybe they kneel you down in front of a brick wall and shoot you in the neck for shop lifting. Or maybe thats on the 2nd offense?

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

If true, it embarrassing. If that was my child I would be mortified. Off with the hands.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

@Kkathyl said:
    If true, it embarrassing. If that was my child I would be mortified. Off with the hands.

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. The father in this case isn't capable of being embarrassed just look at what he does

@larryallen73 said:
    I am curious what UCLA does. That Ball kid is probably the worst of the three Ball boys and I believe the other kids he was with are bigger name freshman so Ball is not the real story here. UCLA will probably give them 2-3 game suspension but I doubt more than that.

That is ok if the suspension starts after they serve a ten year sentence in Shanghai.

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 12, 2017 2:59PM

Pres will "buy" them out to make Press and fly them back on AirForce 1
    maybe its all "fake news?"

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dumb. Looks like they are under house arrest in their hotel, even though the rest of the team left for the states yesterday. Might be there a month until the legal process runs its course. Ouch. UCLA typically kicks players with felony or equivalent off of team... this happened a few years ago when they kicked off three football players for stealing some laptops. Misdemeanors tend to just end in suspensions of varying lengths depending on the infraction. All a moot point if they are 30 years old when they get back from China.

They can play at the University of Arizona. Maybe the most corrupt team in the NCAA.

As a plus we have a Louis Vuitton store in case they get bored.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

They should have just waited to actually buy these on "Singles Day" when they were on sale. Alibaba smashed their one day record with 25 billion in sales. mark

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/alibaba-smashes-single-apos-day-163448180.html

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

The knuckleheads are allegedly flying home today. As a UCLA fan I am very curious what the school does to these idiots.

Ball's old man was right. "no big deal"

Wonder if they got to keep the shades.

Plaschke has a good piece in the LA Times on it. He suggests suspending them for the year. Interesting. I like a few games better. :)

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-ucla-basketball-plaschke-20171114-story.html

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think they should be suspended for 10 years (equivalent to the prison sentence they should have served).

I would prefer they had stayed in China and faced the music.

You do the crime...you do the time.

Eh, being forced to pay for college, study, and get a real job here should be torture enough.

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

They should be forced to write a personal "Thank you" note to the President. I would bet they would never shoplift in China again.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well they indefinitely suspended them whatever that means

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

@MCMLVTopps said:
    I would prefer they had stayed in China and faced the music.

You do the crime...you do the time.

Trump should have gotten them out with an agreement that they joined the military. Would have made men out of them.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is unfortunate that somehow what is truly important has been lost in all of this. Sad

John Wooden likely turned in his grave.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

@perkdog said:

Get caught in Iran and it will be one thumb up.

It will be 2 thumbs gone

@Coinstartled said:
    Trump should have gotten them out with an agreement that they joined the military. Would have made men out of them.

Don't be so sure, there's examples of the military making women out of men these days.

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

And what is daddy response when they get back. "It's no big deal people take a lot more than sun glasses over here" Well they didn't take them over here. What an attitude. His kid should be kicked off the team.

Old man Ball had less than kind words for the fellow that sprung his thieving youngster and teammates.

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

Disgusting lack of appreciation for what was done in their behalf, and respect for the office. Could there be some latent racism on the old mans part.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

@Brick said:
    Disgusting lack of appreciation for what was done in their behalf, and respect for the office. Could there be some latent racism on the old mans part.

Probably more of a political bent to the left.

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suspect that Ball, Sr. Is not political at all. He appears to be preoccupied with himself and building an empire resting on his sons and their ability to hoop.

He reminds me of Joe Jackson, father of Michael Jaclson and his siblings; and Kros Kardashian, momager of her 5 daughters.

Oh, but daddy Ball would have thanked Trump profusely had he brought the thieves home on Air Force One. No ride in the big blue toy, no gratitude...go figure. Looks like racism in high blower to me.

Google Wendell Brown, and see what can happen in China for much, much less than scooping $2k LV sunglasses. I would suspect the illustrious 3, would easily have gotten a solid 10 in the slammer.

• fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭✭

Your POTUS is simply an egomaniac. So funny that folks think he deserves direct praise for doing his job.

While Lavar Ball is a jerk most of the time he was right when he said President Xi actually deserves the thanks. Do you think Trump would be happy if someone asked him to do something and then the praise was given to the person that made the request instead of the person that took the action?

As for respecting the office of the POTUS, Trump has tarnished that one tweet at a time. The POTUS has become a punch line in much of America and overseas.

Robb

I think Lavar should have just said thank you and moved on (as all 3 kids did the first day back). However, by all accounts I saw, before Trump got involved, they were looking at being on house arrest in the Hyatt hotel for 10-14 days. So I don't think Trump helped them avoid 5-10 years like Trump says. I think Trump might have helped but it's not a huge help as he claims. On the other hand why Lavar can't just say thank you and move on is beyond me. Probably a little political but mostly he just lives in his own world. Not to make this political but why does our president get into a Twitter battle with Lavar? His last tweet said, "Now that the three basketball players are out of China and saved from years in jail, LaVar Ball, the father of LiAngelo, is unaccepting of what I did for his son and that shoplifting is no big deal. I should have left them in jail!" Note he says "them" when Lavar is only the father to one of the three. Why include the other two kids in his childish tweet? Though I appreciate Lavar for his confidence I think he's an idiot for getting into this battle... but he's not the president of the United States so I give him more of a pass for being an idiot. The president needs to do better in my opinion.

edited November 21, 2017 9:53AM

@fergie23 said:
    Your POTUS is simply an egomaniac. So funny that folks think he deserves direct praise for doing his job.

While Lavar Ball is a jerk most of the time he was right when he said President Xi actually deserves the thanks. Do you think Trump would be happy if someone asked him to do something and then the praise was given to the person that made the request instead of the person that took the action?

As for respecting the office of the POTUS, Trump has tarnished that one tweet at a time. The POTUS has become a punch line in much of America and overseas.

Robb

Trump was not doing his job in this instance. Clearly these admitted thieves were calculating and should have faced the justice system of the host nation.

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder what Lavar Ball would say or do if his son (and the other two shoplifters) was not allowed to leave China, was criminally prosecuted, convicted and sentenced to 10 years in prison in China?????

@SanctionII said:
    I wonder what Lavar Ball would say or do if his son (and the other two shoplifters) was not allowed to leave China, was criminally prosecuted, convicted and sentenced to 10 years in prison in China?????

He would probably sue the school for taking his thug kid to Asia.

With any luck he would move there and run his mouth about it and we would be rid of the nimrod

A word to fergie23...I PROMISE YOU, the Webmaster takes a very, very dim view of disparaging anyone here or for that matter the POTUS.

Leave your political viewpoints at the door, or you may well get the red box.

If you don't believe me, I suggest you call Jackie Curiel at PSA in Newport Beach, CA and ask her, she is the Webmaster with the magic button...she has less than a zero tolerance for nonsense.

• fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭✭

LOL it is just a website. If I get banned for telling the truth about Trump no worries.

Personally I think the players should have been prosecuted in China for their alleged crimes. But they are athletes so they get to do what they want and rarely ever have to face the music, just the times we live in.

Robb

I guess we know who's the cheese around here :D

Most funny is the president keeps tweeting and Lavar keeps selling more t-shirts and stuff. Lavar is #winning right now.