Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Small copper printing blocks- Obsolete notes

I found a lot of small copper printing blocks which are roughly 1/3 the size of the actual note. Places and denominations like Piscataoua Exchange Bank $10. I'm thinking they were used to produce a book or something. Can anyone give me an idea of what they might have been used for? I'd add a picture but all that shows up is copper-colored plate with no detail

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, you already have the correct answer. They were used to print a book.

I have some too. They are thin copper mounted on wooden blocks. I have seen others from time to time.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    zski123zski123 Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

Yep. Thin copper. Any idea what book? It seems like an unbelievable amount of detail for the production of the book. Thanks!

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 5, 2017 9:19PM

I have a plate that was used in a Confederate paper money book by Whitman. The copper plate is about 1/8th " thick, and the wood block its attached to is about 1" thick.

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, those are exactly what I have and have seen, too.

I think that some were probably also from Criswell's "North American Currency" and from "Southern States Currency", each of which published several editions.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    zski123zski123 Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the info. My plates did come from the Criswell publication. After you provided the possible source, I found a copy for sale on Ebay. As a sheer coincidence, one of the pages displayed had one of my plates from Dominion Bank of Canada. I can't imagine there is any value to these unless the back of the plate has a secret treasure map embossed on it.