Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Best time or auctions to sell currency

Tastes are changing (always was a coin guy) and in an effort to thin the hoard was wondering if members found some auction or times of year were the best to sell?

Collection is large with many large type notes (keeping my #1-$20 high grade Rainbow and one type set of National currency) and selling almost all of $20, $50, and $100 small size with many unc 1928-50D
Nationals are 90% large size with 2 $50 Brown backs and Low grade $100 date back.

Many large size were in GCGA holders and most have been crossed, although many that were previously 65-66 are now 55s and 58s but most of the small were bought at Heritage raw came back unc.

Thanks in advance for any advice, Al

Comments

• Options

PM sent

• Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭

The FUN show is always a good auction in January. Also Central States in April.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can also try here to save on fees !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    gnatgnat Posts: 392 ✭✭✭

Large size notes and Nationals such as you describe would likely best be consigned to auction. If you intend to auction them, best NOT to try to sell them on eBay or other public venues first.

Interest in small size $20, $50 and $100 FRNs has increased a lot in the last couple years. If it is high grade (PCGS or PMG) for the early issues, very high grade for later series, or scarce, it will probably do well.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

A local jewelry shop owner recently lost her husband and has a large currency collection including nationals. She thinks she has a goldmine, probably a few winners bought for common money, but I would be wasting my time to go over the Kelly and more realistic pricing based on auction records. Best option is to subscribe to track and price with the free trial, compare apples with apples, certify items over $400 or so in value, and then list on the BST forum or ebay, etc..

• Options
    dtreterdtreter Posts: 108 ✭✭✭

I have a problem with widows/widower's selling their spouses collection to a dealer. My advice is to go through an auction company like Heritage or Lyn Knight....but even with them, I would not accept an offer to buy but sell at auction. Widows are prone to be taken as they don't really understand the value or rarity of their spouse's collection....just my opinion.

My children are aware that they should sell my collection at auction. I have given them names of people who would make that happen.