Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Question about Heritage

Hello, I was browsing Heritage's website today on preparation for the NY World Coins Auction, January 2018 and it looks as if they have removed PayPal and credit cards as methods of payment... Anyone knows? Last I bought from them they accepted both but looks like this is not an option anymore.

Comments

• StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

IIRC there was one (a Hong Kong based one??) where credit cards/Paypal not accepted. And anything over a certain value. It also may be they haven't finished with their auction terms yet. I'd email them and ask. PP and cards are very convenient for the buyer, not so much the seller sometimes.

• AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @Stork , PP is useful for small collectors like myself.

• RMWRMW Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

I haven’t heard about that but maybe they are trying to shave costs ( credit card fees are substantial).

• JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

I paid for a non-numismatic auction item this past week via CC, so maybe it varies.

• brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 6, 2017 3:47PM

@RMW said:
    I haven’t heard about that but maybe they are trying to shave costs ( credit card fees are substantial).

Credit card fees are 3% or less (for big-hitters like Heritage, likely substantially less than 3%). HA just raised their BP to 20%, I think they can handle it...

How the hell is someone supposed to pay if not with a Credit Card? It's 2017...should I resort to writing paper checks like the little old lady in front of me at the grocery store always insists on paying with!? :angry:

HA just keeps getting worse and worse...

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• RMWRMW Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

By wire transfer. You get to pay the expense not them .if this report is true.

• EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless HA changed their terms recently, CC payment is an option for invoices of $2500 or less. Otherwise, amongst the other payment options is something called e-Check that does not incur any wire charges. These are the two options I have been using, depending on the invoice amount...

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

@EVillageProwler said:
    Unless HA changed their terms recently, CC payment is an option for invoices of $2500 or less. Otherwise, amongst the other payment options is something called e-Check that does not incur any wire charges. These are the two options I have been using, depending on the invoice amount...

That is the issue, in the most recent catalogs and website there is mention to CC PayPal. I email them, awaiting response...

• EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think HA advertises the CC option prominently.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

That's right, but used to be listed as an option. Not anymore. Will see what they say.

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would always pick the credit card option, then let it offer me 1% to use an e-check instead, which I would do. I'll have to see what happens on the next HA invoice I have.

• mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:
    I would always pick the credit card option, then let it offer me 1% to use an e-check instead, which I would do. I'll have to see what happens on the next HA invoice I have.

I do that all the time... last time last week. Saved $1.07 on a $107 item. Adds up. ;)

• jt88jt88 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

@brg5658 said:

@RMW said:

Credit card fees are 3% or less (for big-hitters like Heritage, likely substantially less than 3%). HA just raised their BP to 20%, I think they can handle it...

How the hell is someone supposed to pay if not with a Credit Card? It's 2017...should I resort to writing paper checks like the little old lady in front of me at the grocery store always insists on paying with!? :angry:

HA just keeps getting worse and worse...

I agree with you, HA is getting worst and worst. They want payment fast and ship slow. BTW, they never take credit card from me because I don't pay sales tax. So I have to sent HA a check every time.

• ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

Last time I bought from them ($1500 item), I noticed that the invoice said something like "credit cards taken at auctioneer's discretion."

Hello all, I was informed by Heritage that while they do not list them anymore they still accept "as a courtesy, payments with PayPal and credit card" to limits specified by them. I loved the courtesy part...

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I find wires & checks to be more work but PP & CC are fee machines, its probable just that they are not done with the details.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

It is just difficult to compete with the 6 months with no interest and no payments... I would argue that they should increase the limit instead of capping it, so more people would bid. Oh well, problem solved.

• BobSavBobSav Posts: 913 ✭✭✭

It could also be that they are being hit with " charge backs ".. Someone bids beyond their means and regrets it after the coins are delivered and contacts PP or their CC company and cries foul and wants to return the merchandise.
    There is little a merchant can do to protect themselves from " charge backs"... PP and your credit card with side with you 100% of the time.
    JMHO
    Bob

Past transactions with:
    Lordmarcovan, WTCG, YogiBerraFan, Phoenin21, LindeDad, Coll3ctor, blue594, robkoll, Mike Dixon, BloodMan, Flakthat and others.