Home Sports Talk

Comments

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gov't will bail them out. Can't put all those $40M basketball players on the street.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Disney can afford it. I rarely watch anymore

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

I watch college football and the Paul Finebaum Show on ESPN.

They can have the rest.

• SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't even remember the last time I watched ESPN. I tried to watch a couple of MLB games this season, but can't stand that Mendoza person.

Steve

• 1st_Place1st_Place Posts: 23 ✭✭✭

Could it have something to do with all of the upset fans, because of all of the nasty politics, over the kneeling controversy ? People want to just watch a game, not seeing overpaid athletes protesting.

• garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

Probably means even more layoffs. And the NFL ratings are just as bad with plenty of half empty stadiums. No one is surprised.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some might just be rage at cable companies. My uncle died a month ago and I got the job of canceling his cable. His friggin bill was $315 a month for tv phone and internet. We thought we would keep the phone and internet on for a month or 2 to aid in unwinding his affairs. 3 hours on the phone getting put on hold every time I said I want to reduce services. Sit on hold for 20 minutes then a new idiot comes on and for some reason doesn't know why I called. Then I patiently explain which gets me held again to start the process over.

I finally hung up and gathered up 3 cable boxes and went to the local office and flung them at the person there.

Which finally prompted a manager to talk to me. The best they could do was lower the cost of phone plus internet to 135.

I looked at his account online and he is still being charged $7 and $5 for local channels + local sports. Kind of odd since there are no cable boxes in the house.

$45 a month for a landline???? No I'll go to Walmart and get a 15$ straight talk home phone card and activate that. Then call and yell about the $12 for non existent channels and cancel the phone. I think once I activate the straight talk phone and take over his number I can then carry that to my own house and it will ring there.

"""I finally hung up and gathered up 3 cable boxes and went to the local office and flung them at the person there."""

Bravo!
    B)

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 3, 2017 6:41PM

I’m at the point where I don’t even watch pre game NFL talk anymore forget watching ESPN. They are more interested in social/political “Issues” surrounding multi million dollar athletes rather than sports, I miss the 1990’s with Chris Berman

• SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    I miss the 1990’s with Chris Berman

+1

Steve

edited November 3, 2017 9:26PM

@garnettstyle said:
    Probably means even more layoffs. And the NFL ratings are just as bad with plenty of half empty stadiums. No one is surprised.

BS on the plenty half empty stadiums. Sure LA sucks to no ones surprise. Where are the plenty who are playing to half empty stadiums? I'll wait.

As for as ESPN goes they lived out their usefulness years ago. I watch the highlights I want when I want how I want. I wouldn't miss them if they shuttered their doors tomorrow.

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
    edited November 3, 2017 9:36PM

I can't stand Chris Berman. He makes me nauseous. To each is own I guess.

m

@Justacommeman said:

@garnettstyle said:

BS on the plenty half empty stadiums.

No BS.
    http://www.breitbart.com/sports/2017/10/29/empty-seats-aplenty-kickoff-start-week-8/

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

@garnettstyle said:

@Justacommeman said:

@garnettstyle said:

No BS.
    http://www.breitbart.com/sports/2017/10/29/empty-seats-aplenty-kickoff-start-week-8/

Breitbart is your source? Yeah, they have no agenda. LOL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

@grote15 said:

@garnettstyle said:

@Justacommeman said:

@garnettstyle said:

No BS.

Every source is biased, therefore every source has an agenda.

But the pictures don't lie. The half empty stadiums have been going on for weeks. People are fed up with the NFL.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

the trouble with that Breitbart story is that all the reports are at the very start of games. fans, for whatever reason, seem to enjoy getting to games late rather than early. the stands are generally full before the start of the second quarter. go to the link and check the times of the posts, they all tend to be around 1:05 right after kick-off.

Breitbart=bad.

edited November 4, 2017 4:49AM

@Justacommeman said:
    I can't stand Chris Berman. He makes me nauseous. To each is own I guess.

m

Berman is a douche . Remember that video of him swearing at the people who work on the show during commercial breaks ?

The NFL's problems go way beyond the anthem crap. The beauty of that though is it offends fans on both sides :D:D . The right leaners are mad at the kneeling and the left side is mad at the backlash against players. Maybe they both shut off the TV ?

Cord cutters hurt the NFL because those idiots put games on ESPN and the NFL network which don't get watched by people like me. At first it bothers us to miss the game but after a few weeks its like meh , who cares?

There may be a time when they have to move monday and thursday night games back to broadcast networks . Why is MNF off of ABC ? look at what replaced it on Monday night, 2 or 3 shows no one ever heard of , actually ABC is a terrible network for TV viewing , MNF was the only go to program they had.

Sitting right here at my house with a $15 non amplified rabbit ear antenna that picks up 54 stations ,and the over air HD signal is much better than the degraded version Comcast would charge me an extra 9.99 per box per month . My Roku box pulling in Netflix and Hulu for just under $20 a month over the cost of internet. A little secret about ESPN , on Roku is a " watch ESPN " stream which has 100's of games that you can choose from a menu. If I am paying for it somehow I don't see it. I have to punch in a code but having internet through comcast seems to meet the requirements and it works.

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

DWTS Monday night on ABC. Without looking it up I think it kicks MNFs butt.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

@Brick said:

Shows like DWTS are cheap to make , no writers , no high priced actors , can ABC no longer afford to make original shows that people will watch? Could ABC be even worse off than ESPN but the bang for the buck of reality shows is concealing it?

Football players want more money every year , the payroll always goes up , they cant do the reality show minimum wage thing to save themselves. I mean they could but no one would pay real money to see 60 year olds limping around for minimum wage :D . Here comes AL Bundy into the game. He once scored 4 TD's in one game for Polk High .

@garnettstyle said:

@grote15 said:

@garnettstyle said:

@Justacommeman said:

@garnettstyle said:

No BS.

But the pictures don't lie. The half empty stadiums have been going on for weeks. People are fed up with the NFL.

The pictures do lie if you take them before 1 pm for a 1:05 game and focus on the areas where people haven't arrived yet. I know there are many people who don't even follow the NFL: who are wishing that no one is watching the games, but those individuals have no idea what is going on and the game is still drawing a tremendous amount of interest. Most of those like yourself who are fed up with the NFL weren't following the NFL to begin with.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    edited November 4, 2017 12:15PM

@keets said:
    the trouble with that Breitbart story is that all the reports are at the very start of games. fans, for whatever reason, seem to enjoy getting to games late rather than early. the stands are generally full before the start of the second quarter. go to the link and check the times of the posts, they all tend to be around 1:05 right after kick-off.

Breitbart=bad.

Spoken like a true liberal lol.

Do a quick google search and you will see its not just breitbart. And its a fact that NFL ratings keep sliding.

edited November 4, 2017 1:36PM

@garnettstyle said:

@keets said:

Breitbart=bad.

Do a quick google search and you will see its not just breitbart. And its a fact that NFL ratings keep sliding.

Fake news. There are not "plenty" of half empty stadiums.

m

edited November 4, 2017 1:44PM

@grote15 said:

@garnettstyle said:

@grote15 said:

@garnettstyle said:

@Justacommeman said:

@garnettstyle said:

No BS.

The pictures do lie if you take them before 1 pm for a 1:05 game and focus on the areas where people haven't arrived yet. I know there are many people who don't even follow the NFL: who are wishing that no one is watching the games, but those individuals have no idea what is going on and the game is still drawing a tremendous amount of interest. Most of those like yourself who are fed up with the NFL weren't following the NFL to begin with.

Oh I think they are watching but it doesn't fit their agenda

m

@garnettstyle said:

@keets said:

Breitbart=bad.

Fake news

m

edited November 4, 2017 1:49PM

There is some distinction about NFL ratings thats confusing the issue. I'm no ratings expert , but I've heard that number of viewers is increasing but viewing time per viewer is decreasing. How do we account for that? II think its related to the product on the field and what it competes with for eyeballs.

There is a limited number of new eyeballs that can tune in , and there are so many other entertainment choices they can make. NFL putting more games on cable channels solely against the headwind of cord cutters is stupid. NFL making decisions that offend viewers , deflate gate , wife beaters, kneelers etc.
    Idiotic idea of NFL redzone which allows people to not watch whole games , thereby cannibalizing its own ratings. NFL cozying up to the one thing most likely to ruin football for in the moment monetary gains at the expense of the long term health aka fantasy football . Would the NFL rather I play fantasy football or watch and/or attend a game? My day still consists of only 24 hours , and outside of work how many can I devote to meaningless non productive activity?

edited November 4, 2017 1:44PM

@Brick said:

And DWTS has less holding.

edited November 4, 2017 1:50PM

@garnettstyle said:

@keets said:

Breitbart=bad.

Keets allow me to fix this for you

Beitbart= BS

They tend to pander the inner modern cavemen

mark

I prefer to be an optimist. The stadiums are half full.

Ralph

thank you, Mark. :)

Anytime my friend

m

edited November 4, 2017 10:36PM

@Justacommeman said:

@garnettstyle said:

@keets said:

Breitbart=bad.

Keets allow me to fix this for you

Beitbart= BS

They tend to pander the inner modern cavemen

mark

Justacommoman = BS

CNN = BS

So they drew 56,000 against the Rams. Their stadium is currently configured to hold 64,000. Not half empty. Whiff

mark

edited November 4, 2017 10:58PM

10,000 no shows in a 70,000 plus seat stadium for a team that has played poorly. Not bad and certainly not half empty.

mark

Must be that new math, lol..

edited November 4, 2017 11:47PM

@grote15 said:
    Must be that new math, lol..

Make a crazy sensational statement for effect and then not being able to prove it Is the way America is being managed a the top today. Can't fault him really.

mark

@Justacommeman said:

So they drew 56,000 against the Rams. Their stadium is currently configured to hold 64,000. Not half empty. Whiff

mark

1. The ticket scalpers are practically giving tickets away after the game begins. Better than eating them lol.
    2. Most of the fans already had their tickets purchased BEFORE Trumps bashing of the kneelers.

Attendance is down....FACT.
    TV ratings are Down...FACT

Many stadiums are really have empty. But stats for both sports games and concerts go by tickets sold. In other words, attendance can show on paper that there were 60,000 sold. But only half actually showed up.

these aren't "facts" just because you want them to be and say they are. read what Mark posted about the games you linked. it isn't that none of us would discuss the NFL's problems or attendance, but when you make a statement and then contradict your own claim with links it's laughable.

also, you can't shout "half-empty" and then change to "attendance is down" in midstream to make a point. show some kind of statistical proof that NFL stadiums are half-empty this season and I think members will stop riding you like Zorro. till then, saddle up.

BTW, I read the article from the Baltimore link and think the writer made some very good points. what we now have in the NFL is the result of where the league has been heading for 20-30 years. it has been a slow turn-off for me over that time and I have watched way, way less then back in the 60's/70's/80's. the biggest turn away for me personally is all the celebrating and showboating by the players, all the attention to "me" and what I've done instead of what a Team has done. add to that the ease with which players can now move from team-to-team and I just can't find a good reason to watch football anymore. and I certainly can't find any reason to be at the event.

it is peculiar to me that the NFL for decades harped about parity, went to excessive lengths to help the bad Teams be good and competitive. the league now has parity as the Baltimore Sun writer stated, the fly-in-the-ointment is that all the Teams now seem to equally suck, and it sort of snuck up on us all.

Bob Dylan had a line in a song back in the 60's when he was criticizing the Civil Rights Act and the movement itself. the effort was all about equality and "lifting people up" but he saw it worked the other way. instead of pulling people up out of the hole they were in, it pulled everyone down into the hole. such is the fate of the NFL, a bunch of bad Teams instead of a bunch of good ones. who wants to pay $150 to see that??

It is fine and good to legislate equal opportunity. It is destructive to legislate results. The NFL has rules in place to give all teams a chance to improve. Some teams are good in the front office and are in the playoffs often. Some teams are good at shooting themselves in the foot. Does anyone expect the Browns to be in the Super Bowl hunt in the next 5 years? Does anyone expect the Patriots or Steelers not to be?

Ralph

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keets observation about the NFL wanting parity and in doing so having the quality of the teams be poor is equally appocable to society in general.

Equal opportunity is great

Equal outcome is terrible because is is inconsistent with human nature.

@garnettstyle said:
    Many stadiums are really have empty. But stats for both sports games and concerts go by tickets sold. In other words, attendance can show on paper that there were 60,000 sold. But only half actually showed up.

It could if it were true but it isn't

m

@garnettstyle said:

@Justacommeman said:

mark

1. The ticket scalpers are practically giving tickets away after the game begins. Better than eating them lol.
    2. Most of the fans already had their tickets purchased BEFORE Trumps bashing of the kneelers.

Attendance is down....FACT.
    TV ratings are Down...FACT

Sure they are down. No one is arguing that. But there aren't plenty of stadiums that are half empty. That's just hyperbole and misinformation

mark

@keets said:
    these aren't "facts" just because you want them to be and say they are. read what Mark posted about the games you linked. it isn't that none of us would discuss the NFL's problems or attendance, but when you make a statement and then contradict your own claim with links it's laughable.

also, you can't shout "half-empty" and then change to "attendance is down" in midstream to make a point. show some kind of statistical proof that NFL stadiums are half-empty this season and I think members will stop riding you like Zorro. till then, saddle up.

I don't think garnettstyle even read the article. I laughed

m

Sure they are down. No one is arguing that. But there aren't plenty of stadiums that are half empty. That's just hyperbole and misinformation

so true as is your earlier assessment about our Nation's leadership.

I find this especially intriguing and frightening when you consider the available technology that lets us "check" or explore anything. the President says something and garnett says something, as if no one is going to investigate the truth of either man. strangely, both seem to acknowledge in subsequent statements that they know they are lying, or at the least exaggerating the truth, but they won't admit as much.

I think that ESPN is losing subscribers for reasons discussed and that the NFL is losing fans for the reasons discussed. that either would deny those truths is what puzzles me. I don't know if ESPN is "losing thousands per day" but it can be determined. as for the NFL, I think we already proved that stadiums aren't half empty. we just need garnett to admit as much.

I will not wait for the President to admit he lies.

@keets said:

I don't know if ESPN is "losing thousands per day" but it can be determined. as for the NFL, I think we already proved that stadiums aren't half empty. we just need garnett to admit as much.

I think they are just doing the math. If they lose 1000 a day then that is 365,000 a year. The numbers I've seen for a year are over a million and the pace is picking up.