Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

South Africa Proof or Proof-Like, does it even make a difference?

Back in the mid 1970s I purchased complete 1952, 1953 and 1963 South Africa proof sets, each in the original case.

A couple of years ago I submitted the 1952 5S, 1953 5S and 1963 50 Cent to our neighbors across the street for grading. On the submission form I indicated proof in the MS/PF column. All three coins came back designated PL (Proof-Like) rather than PF (Proof).

All three coins have sharp squared edges like other proof coins I’ve seen and all three have what I would call proof surfaces.

• Is there a way to tell Proof-Like from Proof buy looking at the coins?
  • Did Proof-Like sets come in the same type of case that the Proof set came in?
  • Does it even matter what the holder says when it comes time to sell the coins?

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

About a year ago I submitted a complete 1953 SA Mint set to PCGS and all the coins graded as PR. When it comes time to sell the coins I have noticed that the market is generally soft for singles, but if you can keep the set together they are more liquid. As an example, I would not likely buy these as singles unless they were truly amazing, but as an original intact set (even if one coin were in a slab and the rest raw) I might be very interested.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

@tommy44

Personally i think that there is a difference in PF and PL although the difference is negligible. I do not have one PL in my proof sets. I always replace PL with PF and sometimes that is very costly. I paid an arm and a leg for my 1949 & 1950 Crowns.

As for interest only ... Hern Catalogue indicates the following mintages

1952 - PF mintage 15,500
    1952 - SS mintage 12,000 (SS being Special Select & used by SA Mint in pack sets)

1953 - PF mintage 5,000
    1952 - SS mintage 8,000

1963 - PF mintage 4,025
    1963 - SS mintage 10,227

As TomB mentioned ... still very much collectable in sets.

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

TomB & Manfred1, thank you both for your comments and insight. I still do have the complete sets and the only coins that were submitted were the crowns. I think I will leave them this way for now.

I had considered sending them back to NCG for a re-evaluation since I had purchased the sets as proof sets and assumed that they were but figured in the long run it wouldn't be worth the roundtrip shipping and insurance.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide