Home Sports Talk
Options

Garoppolo traded to 49ers

grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

For a second round pick. I guess the Pats truly believe Brady will never retire, lol..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

Comments

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow seems stupid , they could have done a trade in the off season and got a high 1st in time for the actual draft.

On the other hand , I like the guy and I want to see him get on the field , he is going to need some help though

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

Totally par for Belichick and the Pats to do something that makes zero sense. I mean they absolutely could have gotten a first rounder for him, and let me throw this out there, I sincerely thought they would eventually send Brady out to pasture to SF since it was his childhood favorite team and roll with Jimmy G. I mean no backup in NE now but they are heading into a bye week so who the heck can make any legitimate guesses as to what the plan is going forward.

• Options

Watching tonights game makes me think Denver should have offered a defensive player for him , that would be addressing a need for the Pats and Denver needs a qb

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2017 7:45PM

@bronco2078 said:
    Watching tonights game makes me think Denver should have offered a defensive player for him , that would be addressing a need for the Pats and Denver needs a qb

Brady should play both ways

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2017 9:47PM

You have to remember that SF second round pick will be like a late first round pick. And they won't have to pay that pick as much as a first rounder

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

Second round pick will likely be around 33 or 34. In other words, about one or two picks after New England's first round pick, lol..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

Rumor has it Bill didn't want to do this but Kraft put his foot down. Supposedly to reassure Brady that he was not going to play anywhere else.

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭

Same folks that don't like this move were criticizing BB for trading Jamie Collins and Chandler Jones last season. Pats won the Super Bowl so perhaps people should simply trust the people in New England that have won 5 Super Bowls and been to 2 others.

Once TB and BB are gone going to be a long cold Winter for Pats fans. Their sustained success hasn't been duplicated in the salary cap era so enjoy it while you can.

Robb

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fergie23 said:
    Same folks that don't like this move were criticizing BB for trading Jamie Collins and Chandler Jones last season. Pats won the Super Bowl so perhaps people should simply trust the people in New England that have won 5 Super Bowls and been to 2 others.

Once TB and BB are gone going to be a long cold Winter for Pats fans. Their sustained success hasn't been duplicated in the salary cap era so enjoy it while you can.

Robb

Very true.

• Options

@fergie23 said:

Robb

I agree with you however there is no denying that they could have done better. In most cases we scratch our heads over him getting rid of say the best defensive player or a great skill position player and yes it turns out Big Bill made the best choice in the long run but in this case they Absolutely short changed themselves.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,151 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 1, 2017 7:22AM

Amazing that the 49ers and Patriots can conduct a trade, yet the takeaway is just how much the Browns organization sucks.

How the hell do you allow Janeane Garofalo to go for a song when you have two first-rounders and three second-rounders in next year's draft?

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    Amazing that the 49ers and Patriots can conduct a trade, yet the takeaway is just how much the Browns organization sucks.

How the hell do you allow Janeane Garofalo to go for a song when you have two first-rounders and three second-rounders in next year's draft?

The Browns just refuse to do well . It's willful on their part , not bad luck , they for some reason wish to be awful until forever.

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭

Shortchanged themselves based on what model? Many experts last year were saying the Pats could only get a 2nd round pick and maybe a 5th or 6th round pick for him even though the Pats were asking for a 1st and 4th rounder. With one less year of controlled salary on Garoppolo they did well to get a 2nd rounder for him.

I have noticed that fans and sports writers tend to overvalue existing talent when discussing trades. Garoppolo is not worth that much since he is probably a 20+ million dollar QB next year if you want a 1 year rental or $17-20 million per year for a multi-year contract (assuming he doesn't suck once he starts). Players about to enter free agency have much less value than people realize.

You will probably compare him to McCarron and the proposed trade that fell through but I guarantee the Browns didn't offer a 2nd and 3rd for Garoppolo. Primarily because McCarron has one more year before he can become an unrestricted free agent where as Garoppolo does not. McCarron = $4 million salary next year, Garoppolo = $20+ million salary next year.
    It is all about opportunity cost in the NFL trade market.

Robb

• Options

The Brown's could always woo Romo out of the booth! B)>:)

Then they could suck forever and a day!

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@galaxy27 said:

The Browns just refuse to do well . It's willful on their part , not bad luck , they for some reason wish to be awful until forever.

All you need to know

The Cleveland Browns reached a deal with the Cincinnati Bengals to acquire quarterback AJ McCarron but failed to complete the trade because the team did not notify the league of their approval before Tuesday’s 4 p.m. deadline.

Apparently the Browns were too busy celebrating the trade and forgot to call in the trade, according to ESPN’s Aaron Goldhammer.

Grossi says that apparently the Browns were celebrating their trade and forgot to call in the deal before the deadline...
    — Aaron Goldhammer (@HammerNation19) October 31, 2017
    Me: Why didn't this deal get done??
    Grossi: Somebody forgot to call it in
    — Aaron Goldhammer (@HammerNation19) October 31, 2017
    According to NFL.com, the teams agreed to the trade at 3:55 p.m. and while the Bengals notified the league before the deadline, the Browns did not. Instead, the Browns sent in paperwork just after the deadline and told the NFL there should be a grace period. The league did not grant the Browns a grace period.

It’s safe to say Browns fans had similar reactions to ESPN commentator Michael Smith, who could not hide his outrage over the botched deal. Check out the video below.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

Its stinks seeing Jimmy leaving NE but i'm really glad i didn't invest in his rookies just for this exact reason. I agree with perkdog that BB kinda screwed the pooch by not trading him at draft time when his trade value was at its highest. The worst kept rumor of Cleveland being really high on Garoppolo would have been the perfect scenario for a deal seeing they had so many picks in multiple rounds to work with.
    That being said,nothing that Belichick does surprises me anymore and i bet we see BB take that SF 2nd then turn it into multiple picks by trading back in the draft.
    I wish Jimmy all the luck with the 49ers,hopefully he eventually turns out to be their starter for years to come.

• Options

What a blunder......and at such a level.

• Options

Josh Gordon has been conditionally reinstated today and is eligible to join the Browns in Week 13. He's only 26 but it seems like he's been out of football forever. Boy, was he electrifying, though.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Its stinks seeing Jimmy leaving NE but i'm really glad i didn't invest in his rookies just for this exact reason. I agree with perkdog that BB kinda screwed the pooch by not trading him at draft time when his trade value was at its highest. The worst kept rumor of Cleveland being really high on Garoppolo would have been the perfect scenario for a deal seeing they had so many picks in multiple rounds to work with.
    That being said,nothing that Belichick does surprises me anymore and i bet we see BB take that SF 2nd then turn it into multiple picks by trading back in the draft.
    I wish Jimmy all the luck with the 49ers,hopefully he eventually turns out to be their starter for years to come.

why would Jimmy G want to go to the Browns though? All he had to do was tell bill he wants to sign a bridge deal and they keep him. Now he just has to say he won't and they gotta trade him. I would do that just to dodge a trade to the browns if I was him. Who wouldn't? Anyway he probably wants to play and the way Brady is going that could be 2019. If he is good he should want to play . Maybe everyone thought brady would start to show his age and BOOM they Bledsoe him with Jimmy G

Regardless , you know they hate using that franchise tag , especially if hes a backup the whole season. That was going to happen if he didnt agree to a deal

• Options

honestly I really believe he would have gone to any team if it meant a starting QB job after sitting for three & a half seasons on the bench. The whole signing a bridge deal in NE went out the window and this trade proves exactly that. Have you listened to Belichick's comments after the trade? They didn't want to deal Jimmy but it came to that. Supposedly there were rumors it was Brady who was on the trade block when Kraft stepped in vetoing any potential deal while Garoppolo ended up being the odd man out.
    Garoppolo wasn't going to sign ANY bridge deal keeping him as the backup past this season or it would have happened already. I admit i wanted NE to find a way to keep him to replace Brady even if it meant using the franchise tag for one more season as backup but it wasn't going to happen this offseason or he doesn't get dealt. This also isn't the same situation as Cassel after the 08 season where Matt had just started 15 games,got tagged then sent to KC with Vrabel for a high 2nd. This time around the Tag price is higher,the contract the other team would need to pay Garoppolo is higher and the compensation would have been less than it would have been this past week when he brought back just a 2nd rounder from SF all for a guy who has lasted just SIX quarters as starter before getting hurt last season. His trade value was at its peak at draft time but NE was still holding out hope they could find a way to keep him past this season so they turned down offers from the Browns that were better than just a high 2nd.
    I really wanted to see him line up under center in NE's offense with Cooks,Gronk,Edelman,Hogan & White(the same with Brady but Edelman got hurt) and see what Jimmy can do but that's never gonna happen now. I really hope he finds a home in SF with Shanahan.

• Options

The fact that the Browns failed to get Mcarron due to incompetence is an embarrassment, the owner should fire everyone that had anything to do with that. Or at least let Kizer ride the pine for a year or at least till they can get some decent players around him, putting a first round QB into a dumpster fire is never good.

• Options

The pats are not afraid to use the tag, heck the tagged Gostkowski a few years ago. Either way Jimmy G needed to go, for his benefit and the Patriots, the kid has been ultra quiet standing on the sidelines without a prayer of playing, at some point he would want to be a starter and start making a name for himself. The Pats selfishly kept him as long as they could, not a chance they were going to pay him 20-30 million to keep tagging him until Brady retires which in my opinion will be in 3 years when he breaks Manning’s all time career passing yards record, Brady wants that and that’s all he has left to accomplish.

• Options
    edited November 2, 2017 7:14AM

@perkdog i think Brady wants that 6th SB ring more than anything else and when its all said & done I think Brees gets that passing yards record over Brady. He's got roughly 3800-4000 more yards than Brady right now and looks like he'll pass Manning next season for that #1 spot. Brees & Brady both look like they're gonna play another 2-3 years each and Tom might need to play one more season than Brees just to catch up to his totals.
    Here's where they currently stand in the major passing records rankings(taken from Pro-Reference):
    Career Passing Yards
    1.Peyton Manning 71,940
    2.Brett Favre 71,838
    3.Drew Brees 68,062
    4.Tom Brady 64,123

Career Passing Touchdowns
    1.Peyton Manning 539
    2.Brett Favre 508
    3.Drew Brees 476
    4.Tom Brady 472

Career Passes Completed
    1.Brett Favre 6,300
    2.Peyton Manning 6,125
    3.Drew Brees 6,011
    4.Tom Brady 5,450

Career Pass Attempts
    1.Brett Favre 10,169
    2.Peyton Manning 9,380
    3.Drew Brees 9,006
    4.Tom Brady 8,533

Unless Brady manages to play 1-2 more seasons than Brees,I honestly thinks Drew ends up with all four of these career records. Brady will just have to settle on winning two more SBs instead ;)

• Options

Thanks for posting that, I always forget Brees is in the mix

• Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭

I think Brady will at least take the TD record. The other 3 lean to Brees, all things equal.

As for JG, I thought it worked well for all involved. While they could have gotten more at draft, I don't think they were ready for that until season was underway and developed. They bought 8 weeks of insurance and still get a early 2nd. As much as I try not to like the Pats, it's impossible to not respect them from top to bottom as an organization.

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭

@vintagefun said:
    I think Brady will at least take the TD record. The other 3 lean to Brees, all things equal.

As for JG, I thought it worked well for all involved. While they could have gotten more at draft, I don't think they were ready for that until season was underway and developed. They bought 8 weeks of insurance and still get a early 2nd. As much as I try not to like the Pats, it's impossible to not respect them from top to bottom as an organization.

Well said. I think BB was hoping that Brady would look so bad this season, that he could justify going to with Jimmy G next year. With Brady still playing at an elite level this season (although I'd argue that anyone watching closely can see that he is not quite as accurate as years past), BB took what he can get. Oh yeah, and Kraft absolutely stepped in and said Brady is going to retire a Patriot, which is why BB was so effusive in his praise for Jimmy G when the deal was announced. He wanted everyone to know that he preferred JG next season.

• Options
    edited November 4, 2017 1:12PM

@jdip9 said:

(although I'd argue that anyone watching closely can see that he is not quite as accurate as years past)

Brady leads the NFL in 20+ yard attempts & completions and hasn't had his security blanket,Edelman,all season yet his completion percentage is on pace for the third highest of his career. His career completion percentage is 63.9% and he's at 66.7% for this season. It MAY look like he's not as accurate as years past but its really not.

• Options

Losing Edelman was a huge hit but the system is still in place which allows Brady to spread the ball around with high percentage passes, having a stable of 4 pass catching running backs helps too. Another thing which is remarkable is his release is faster than it was 10 years ago.