Home Sports Talk
Options

Should Bob McNair be forced to sell his interest in the Texans?

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 29, 2017 4:58PM in Sports Talk

Dumb comment by McNair about "the inmates running the prison" followed up by a majority of the inmates...I mean players, kneeling to the anthem.

Chaos reigns in the NFL.

Comments

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

kenneling? you dog you :D

• Options

WTF....non intentional.

• Options

If they had any real guts they would have refused to play....now that would have been a real story. Kneeling is old news.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nah, when you own a team you are allowed to be douchey. Look no further then Jerry Jones

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:
    Nah, when you own a team you are allowed to be douchey. Look no further then Jerry Jones

mark

Donald Sterling did not fare so well when he had the Clippers yanked from him ($2,000,000,000) was healthy compensation though.

NFL is a bit more clubby.

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

IT WAS A FIGURE OF SPEECH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOT TO BE TAKEN LITERALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I was McNair, I'd love it if the players walked out and refused to play. Then, THEY WOULD BE IN BREACH OF CONTRACT!!!!!

I would then cancel their contracts, cancel the team's season, and donate every cent from their contracts, to the relief efforts in Houston!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 29, 2017 5:28PM

@SDSportsFan said:

If I was McNair, I'd love it if the players walked out and refused to play. Then, THEY WOULD BE IN BREACH OF CONTRACT!!!!!

I would then cancel their contracts, cancel the team's season, and donate every cent from their contracts, to the relief efforts in Houston!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve

Why in the would he, as the owner of the team, want to forfeit the season? That makes zero sense. i don't even need to use a single exclamation point to make that point, either, lol..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@grote15 said:

@SDSportsFan said:

Steve

Why in the would he, as the owner of the team, want to forfeit the season? That makes zero sense. i don't even need to use a single exclamation point to make that point, either, lol..

Fair question.

I said if I was McNair, that's what I would do.

It's just that I am absolutely sick and tired of all this BS from the players. If I was a decision maker in the league, at this point, I just wouldn't give a shit about money; to me, it's about principle at this point!

Maybe it's because I spent 24 years in the US military, and am a disabled veteran. I've seen too many of my "brothers and sisters" come home in coffins, or missing body parts, or with their minds damaged.

That Flag that the players are so quick to disrespect, covered the coffins of every one of those dead service members. It symbolizes their service, and their ultimate sacrifice.

If I was McNair, I would rather see my money go to the community that right now is suffering and struggling to reclaim their lives and livelihoods, than to a bunch of overpaid crybaby millionaires!

Steve

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Inmates running the asylum (or prison, as he incorrectly used it)" is a well-worn expression for a power inversion in a relationship between two groups. It has nothing to do with players being viewed as prisoners and there's absolutely nothing inappropriate about using the expression in this setting to convey that player actions are putting ownership in a difficult position. Expressing anger over it smacks of "chink in the armor" or "guerilla tactics."

• Options

I also wonder what ever happened to "abstract thought"?

The phrase Bob McNair used is a "figure of speech", a "metaphor", and was/is not meant to be taken literally.

People are taking things far too literally, and are too quick to pick things apart looking for reasons to be offended!

The phrase "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me" has been thrown away and completely forgotten!

Steve

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 29, 2017 6:03PM

I do agree that this "controversy" is essentially a tempest in a teapot, to employ another well known expression.

But in this day and age, language is loaded with innuendo, and in a case like this one, where a large part of the issue is racially charged and emotions are heightened on both sides, a person like McNair has to be savvier and a bit more cognizant of the language he uses in situations like these.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@Brick said:
    I don't think the players can refuse to play. One main requirement of parolees is to be gainfully employed.

Well, in the case of the Cincinnati Bengals, you're correct! :D

Steve

• Options

@SDSportsFan said:

The phrase Bob McNair used is a "figure of speech", a "metaphor", and was/is not meant to be taken literally.

People are taking things far too literally, and are too quick to pick things apart looking for reasons to be offended!

The phrase "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me" has been thrown away and completely forgotten!

Steve

Agree with you 100%, Steve. We live in an era when smiling at a woman is sexual assault and every third word is a racial slur. Combine old time throw back owners, prima donna players and CNN ready to jump on any salacious story and it is game on.

Keeps North Korea off the news though, I suppose.

• Options
    edited October 29, 2017 6:54PM

@Coinstartled said:

@SDSportsFan said:

Steve

Agree with you 100%, Steve. We live in an era when smiling at a woman is sexual assault and every third word is a racial slur. Combine old time throw back owners, prima donna players and CNN ready to jump on any salacious story and it is game on.

And yet you started the thread. I guess to incite the troops. No one reasonable thinks he should forced to sell the team. Just a thread to stand on your soapbox. Transparent

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:

@Coinstartled said:

@SDSportsFan said:

Steve

And yet you started the thread. I guess to incite the troops. No one reasonable thinks he should forced to sell the team. Just a thread to stand on your soapbox. Transparent

mark

Troops here need no motivation to freely opine.

This story took me a bit by surprise as the kneeling was settling down and McNair likely unwittingly tossed some kerosene on it. I am not sure how the players thought that kneeling en masse during the anthem would make them look smart. It didn't.

Fact is, the players certainly hold many aces against ownership (as Walter Reuther did against GM and Ford 60 years ago.)

It would take a couple of seasons to replace them with competent athletes and that assumes that the college recruits would go along with the program.

Sure we are talking about billionaires. They seem though to have a fondness for expanding their wealth more than most of the common folk do.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SDSportsFan said:

@grote15 said:

@SDSportsFan said:

Steve

Fair question.

I said if I was McNair, that's what I would do.

It's just that I am absolutely sick and tired of all this BS from the players. If I was a decision maker in the league, at this point, I just wouldn't give a shit about money; to me, it's about principle at this point!

Maybe it's because I spent 24 years in the US military, and am a disabled veteran. I've seen too many of my "brothers and sisters" come home in coffins, or missing body parts, or with their minds damaged.

That Flag that the players are so quick to disrespect, covered the coffins of every one of those dead service members. It symbolizes their service, and their ultimate sacrifice.

If I was McNair, I would rather see my money go to the community that right now is suffering and struggling to reclaim their lives and livelihoods, than to a bunch of overpaid crybaby millionaires!

Steve

I totally agree!

• Options
    edited October 29, 2017 9:52PM

McNair apologized.

It's always easy to spend other people's money.

No person is going to blow up his 3 billion dollar business on principal especially when he admitted he was wrong

Now back to the real world

mark

• Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2017 12:51PM

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options

@grote15 said:

But in this day and age, language is loaded with innuendo, and in a case like this one, where a large part of the issue is racially charged and emotions are heightened on both sides, a person like McNair has to be savvier and a bit more cognizant of the language he uses in situations like these.

You're right, but it's more of a sad commentary on our age than it is on McNair. There's a reason that nearly everyone in the country is afraid to discuss any situation involving race or ethnicity. And I don't see a fear of discussing something as positive or likely to improve the situation.

Incidentally, I heard Jeff Saturday this morning criticizing McNair for "airing a comment like this in public," because then the players are forced to react to save face. In fact, the comment was during a private meeting and was clearly not intended for public consumption. But again, in 2017, be very very careful, the walls have ears!

• Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

it's a good thing he didn't refer to any of them as 'empty barrels', because that's apparently racist too.

• Options
    edited October 31, 2017 4:43AM

Good discussion.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many segments of society, for their own reasons, are obsessively focused on division and on dividing people along arbitrary lines (gender, race, ethnicity, religion, education level, age, income level, physical attributes, language spoken, immigration status, etc.). This phenomena is greater now than even 10 years ago.

Politics, media have long been into division and dividing. It is making inroads into other areas, including sports.

It is not healthy for our society and culture here in the USA. The founding documents of the USA created a system where individual liberty and freedom were (and still are, though they have been restricted) the centerpiece. The federal government was to have a limited structure and purpose, with powers not specifically given to the it being reserved to state governments and most importantly to the people. People can do what they want (within the bounds of the law) and be as successful as their talents, abilities and ambition can take them. Regardless of who one is and where one comes from. Rags to riches, riches to rags and back to riches again.

MLK's desired to have people judged by the content of their character instead of the color of their skin. MLK would be sad to see that today the content on one's character is way down the list of what is important and that the color of one's skin is still a key to future success (though instead of skin color working only to the advantage of those of white western European ancestry; skin color is now is used by all groups to the disadvantage of those who do not have the proper amount of melatonin).

Rodney King famously asked after the LA Riots that took place after the cops that beat him up so badly were acquitted of criminal charges "Can't we all just get along?" Rodney King wold be said to see that today the answer to his question is: "No, we can't just get along." What is really sad is that many segments of society want and need "division".

Rant over.

• Options

@SanctionII said:
    Many segments of society, for their own reasons, are obsessively focused on division and on dividing people along arbitrary lines (gender, race, ethnicity, religion, education level, age, income level, physical attributes, language spoken, immigration status, etc.). This phenomena is greater now than even 10 years ago.

Politics, media have long been into division and dividing. It is making inroads into other areas, including sports.

It is not healthy for our society and culture here in the USA. The founding documents of the USA created a system where individual liberty and freedom were (and still are, though they have been restricted) the centerpiece. The federal government was to have a limited structure and purpose, with powers not specifically given to the it being reserved to state governments and most importantly to the people. People can do what they want (within the bounds of the law) and be as successful as their talents, abilities and ambition can take them. Regardless of who one is and where one comes from. Rags to riches, riches to rags and back to riches again.

MLK's desired to have people judged by the content of their character instead of the color of their skin. MLK would be sad to see that today the content on one's character is way down the list of what is important and that the color of one's skin is still a key to future success (though instead of skin color working only to the advantage of those of white western European ancestry; skin color is now is used by all groups to the disadvantage of those who do not have the proper amount of melatonin).

Rodney King famously asked after the LA Riots that took place after the cops that beat him up so badly were acquitted of criminal charges "Can't we all just get along?" Rodney King wold be said to see that today the answer to his question is: "No, we can't just get along." What is really sad is that many segments of society want and need "division".

Rant over.

Well said

m

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just disband the entire league and get it over with or rebrand as the Social Justice Football League. I've given away one fantasy team and trying to give away my other as the players jump from one faux controversy to another.

Hopefully Zach Miller doesn't lose his leg and is able to recover. A far more pressing concern than an owner's comments, IMHO.

• Options

I was listening to Mike and Mike this morning, and again with the kneeling and McNair, etc, etc. And independent of who is on the right side of all these issues, my overwhelming reaction was: "gee, this is getting really boring."

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry but the whole getting offended thing is getting out of control ridiculous, I remember that statement from when I was a kid back in the 70’s and it has a zero disrespectful tone to it and nothing to do with race. It’s a statement regarding having order within an organization nothing more nothing less. People today use whatever they can to justify protesting and get offended by way too much, everyone needs to chill out and relax.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    pot-stirring outlets like espn are major culprits in all of this. they continuously perpetuate the hell out of stories that don't have a thing to do about actual play on the field. ever taken a look at the 'top headlines' on the t/r portion of the home page? a couple of days ago i glanced at it and i swear the top spot was Joe Mixon and LeVeon Bell calling each other names on twitter.

ESPN is desperate because they are dying

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    pot-stirring outlets like espn are major culprits in all of this. they continuously perpetuate the hell out of stories that don't have a thing to do about actual play on the field. ever taken a look at the 'top headlines' on the t/r portion of the home page? a couple of days ago i glanced at it and i swear the top spot was Joe Mixon and LeVeon Bell calling each other names on twitter.

Most important how is the hang over? Do you have any nails left?

m

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@galaxy27 said:

Most important how is the hang over? Do you have any nails left?

m

so brutal. early morning conference call and had to play hurt. dimeman better be thankful i didnt have his digits or i would have woken him up at 4:45 am to make myself feel a little better

• Options
    OddRodzOddRodz Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

Was the original inquiry here actually serious ? There are people in this world who think for that comment, he needs to sell ? That is the most offensive crap talk that exists in this world. ANYONE literally taking serious offense to that should either leave the country or go back to the middle of the Twinkie they live in and enjoy the fluffy sugary little world they live in.

Us 'deplorables' view things different on who the deplorables are. heh heh heh

EIGHT YEARS !!!

• Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭

This whole thing got blown out of proportion because Bob McNair is an idiot. If he used the correct metaphor, this whole "controversy" would never have happened.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

No

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@OddRodz said:
    Was the original inquiry here actually serious ? There are people in this world who think for that comment, he needs to sell ? That is the most offensive crap talk that exists in this world. ANYONE literally taking serious offense to that should either leave the country or go back to the middle of the Twinkie they live in and enjoy the fluffy sugary little world they live in.

Us 'deplorables' view things different on who the deplorables are. heh heh heh

EIGHT YEARS !!!

As the OP I am unashamedly amused witnessing the self destruction of the greatest brand in the history of sports.

Question was legit not from my opinion but that of the morons that unceremoniously stripped owner Sterling of his NBA franchise a few years ago.