Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

October 31, 2017. Save That Date!

500th Anniversary of the Reformation. Scary for some, I guess. :D Nevertheless, a key anniversary for those in love with world history. Like me!

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD

Comments

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am a Lutheran, and as near as I can tell the ELCA is concentrating on the biographies and personalities of Luther and Katharina von Bora for the V Centenary - and not on the Articles of the Faith. They are scared to death of offending anybody.

• Options
    edited October 30, 2017 7:05PM

A number of years back, I gave and traded my Luther-related numismatic items to a friend that I have since lost track of. So I don't have anything to photograph for this topic.

This evening, in view of tomorrow's anniversary, I went to see a showing of Rick Steves' 'Luther & The Reformation'. Steves is the well-known travel expert and television showman, of course. He is also of the ELCA variety of Lutheran. The program was produced for American Public Television.

The program is about forty minutes long, and there is a nine minute prequel where Mr. Steves explains what he was trying to do and where he explains the constraints in doing such a special program in a tight time frame. The historic sites associated with Luther are highlighted - many still exist. The program is visually gorgeous and the idea content is about as good as one can do in today's rather atheistic media. I would recommend seeing it.

• Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

• Options

That's very very nice!