DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭✭

Yep

Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options
    RMWRMW Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

Sure looks like it to me too.

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks, here's what syl, one of the leading experts in Canadian Large Cent Varieties, said about the coin:

Yes, yours is a 9/8 and is Turner Reverse # RD5 and it's mated with Obverse die OA1. That reverse was used on only 2% of the 9/8 dies, so it is pretty scarce.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    sylsyl Posts: 902 ✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2017 6:35AM

Don .. your coin is pretty well worn and I took a good guess on what Turner Reverse that it was, based solely on the 9. Reverse RD5 is very similar to Reverse RD4 and it would be very difficult to tell which one without good clear photos on the remainder of the Reverse, especially the "1" and the stem at leaf 9(the one below the 8).

Now that you have added full O & R photos, I feel that it is Reverse RD4, not an RD5, but the condition of the coin prevents me from seeing if this is Obverse OH1 or OI1, both of which were married to the RD4 Reverse. Between the discoloration and the wear, I can't say for sure. Regardless, it's a hole filler.

Certain Obverses were married to only certain Reverses. Rob Turner has written a great book with ID photos on the 9/8's, entitled "The 1858 Cents of Provincial Canada, Vol II second edition". It updates some of the 1858 info from the original work and also ID's the 9/8's. All of Robs books are "must-haves" for Canadian large cent collectors.... there are 4 extensive books on the early Large Cents. Certain TPG's and auction houses now use Turner #'s to delineate which variety of '58 or 9/8 is being referenced for the ID's.