Options

How in the world is this a PSA 9?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/282710687202

Looks OC as all heck...front and back.

Comments

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 29, 2017 5:10AM

The back likely wouldn't have came into play since it meets the criteria of 90-10, but the front oc and tilt should have probably placed this at an 8. If I were to give the card credit, the surface appears to be very high grade. The 9 is a gift.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

Centering requirements for PSA 9 are "approximately 60/40 to 65/35" on the front. This card seems right in that vicinity. I think because so many people on this forum value centering above all else it gets forgotten that perfect centering is not a requirement for the highest grades. Obviously a perfectly centered 9 is more desirable and would command more money, but this card doesn't appear to be improperly graded.

• Options
    Dand522612Dand522612 Posts: 417 ✭✭✭

So many 86 Fleer cards look like this in 9. Not only the Jordan. So tough for some cards to find centered top to bottom or left to right. Creates premiums for some issues perfectly centered. Even some 10's are not nearly perfectly centered.

• Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    edited October 29, 2017 7:32AM
  • Options
    muffinsmuffins Posts: 469 ✭✭✭

younger cert # when so much emphasis wasnt placed on being "dead centered" perhaps?

agree on the gifted grade.

• Options

Guys, if you think a PSA 9 should be dead centered, then lobby for PSA to change their centering requirements. As their grading standard now stands the card is not improperly graded.

• Options

Is this a gift grade also? No, it's a mint card that has 60/40 centering and so is on the outer end of the centering requirement, as some cards will always have to be.

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like any number(hundreds, thousands) of 1986 Fleer PSA 9's I've seen. MJ, Drexler, Malone, Wilkins, Ewing, Mullin, Chambers etc, etc. All have many PSA 9's "OC" like that one. The Malone, Worthy and Nique rookies, maybe Magic Johnson from that issue are the ones that stick out to me as not being 50/50, even in PSA 10 in many cases. Centering is but one factor.