Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Should I leave negative feedback

Last week I bought an unopened wax box on eBay. The title said 36 SEALED packs. I had the seller ship the box to BBCE. I got an email from Steve today telling me that all packs had been opened and put back in the box. I filed a claim with eBay and the seller refunded my money within an hour. The seller has sold several of these boxes in the last week or so. No one has left bad feedback yet. Should I be the first? He did send my refund quickly but he also sold a box knowing that the packs were not sealed.
Thanks, James

Comments

• Options
    BenG76BenG76 Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

Well he did refund you money so I would say no on the negative. I can see why you would want to alert others. I wouldn't be surprised if he could get the negative removed since he sent you a refund as well.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

You could always leave a neutral feedback warning other buyers about the packs.

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

James,

I think Neutral feedback may be the way to go stating that the packs were resealed, but a quick refund was issued.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ebay is a virtual minefield for vintage unopened wax.

Would you mind sharing who the seller is?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭

So, were the packs resealed, or were the packs opened? Makes a huge difference to me.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

I think neutral at least..:total hassle for you as the buyer even though he did right by you. The question is also did he know and was he trying to pull a fast one on you or was he duped?

"Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd leave a negative.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dontippet said:
    So, were the packs resealed, or were the packs opened? Makes a huge difference to me.

I agree there is a difference. Someone who opens a pack and replaces valuable cards with common cards is a bit worse than someone who opens a pack and decides whether to keep that pack or close it back up and sell it to someone else. But not a huge difference.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't collect unopened so perhaps to those that do there is a distinguishable difference but I fail to see the difference in resealing packs or opening them and resealing. The bottom line is an attempt to defraud the buyer has taken place and they are being represented as something they are not in both cases.

I would leave a neutral. Thankfully I haven't had many bad EBay transactions but in this litigious society I refuse to leave a negative as there can be unwanted repercussions.

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why do people act like leaving a negative is akin to kidnapping their children? I'd leave a neg and not lose a second of sleep over it.

• Options

@ReggieCleveland said:
    Why do people act like leaving a negative is akin to kidnapping their children? I'd leave a neg and not lose a second of sleep over it.

http://bradleygross.com/ebay-sellers-dont-even-think-about-suing-over-negative-feedback/

Until you get a notice in the mail of a pending lawsuit. Even though the odds of you losing a case for defamation may be low, the odds are high you might face one and the hassle and potential legal fees to fight it aren't worth it.

• Options

You need to leave a neg Feedback. regardless of him refunding you. The feedback is not on how he treated you, it is on how the product is presented and what it actually is. By leaving a neg feedback you warn more people about the BAD business practices of this BAD SELLER.

• Options

@Dpeck100 said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

http://bradleygross.com/ebay-sellers-dont-even-think-about-suing-over-negative-feedback/

Until you get a notice in the mail of a pending lawsuit. Even though the odds of you losing a case for defamation may be low, the odds are high you might face one and the hassle and potential legal fees to fight it aren't worth it.

Did you read the whole article? The lawsuits were dismissed by the plaintiffs before it ever even got far. And even then, the defendants still went after them for filing baseless litigation and won. Seems like you're using a single, solitary incident of a clearly deranged plaintiff that received absolutely no serious consideration by the court to be worried about leaving a neg on ebay. That's absurd. Your odds of being involved in insurance fraud are many, many times higher. Do you never drive a car because of it?

Obviously you don't leave a negative where you call the seller a purple-headed doody monster. Just state the facts of what happened. Holy moly.

• Options

@Dpeck100 said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

"Now, I know some of you are probably thinking, “If the seller gave a refund to Rogan and offered to pay the postage due to Nichols, then they shouldn’t have filed negative feedback.” And to those people I say, perhaps you’re right. But that’s not the issue. This is not about fairness. This is about statements of fact and opinions uttered by people who had the right to make such statements, and whose statements are protected by the First Amendment. Regardless of how “unfair” it may seem to sellers on EBay, consumers still have the right to make truthful statements, and to offer their opinions about their online experiences. The Internet may be both awesome and convenient, but the Bill of Rights trumps all."

excellent explaination

• Options

A simple Google search on the topic uncovers the case on the pharmaceutical company they reference. I guess you breezed over the part where most attorneys know that the fear of the litigation costs causes most to settle cases. To me it comes down to risk vs. reward. The risk is litigation and the reward is a little payback. Some people buy bank CD's and others microcap biotech stocks. Different strokes for different folks. I choose to err on the side of caution.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just this past week,I had a buyer in Indonesia use Buy It Now on three of my ebay listings when all three clearly stated i ship to the US Only. After seeing the guy was in Indonesia,and not wanting to wait weeks for the payment to clear, i cancelled all three transactions,gave the buyer a full refund with an explanation why I did that,and relisted the 3 cards. The guy then left 3 negative feedback comments on my seller account when i did absolutely nothing wrong. I then had to send three feedback revision requests to this idiot to have them revised/removed.
    What does he end up doing? He purchased one of the three cards a second time but hasn't sent payment yet,knowing full well I won't ship to Indonesia. Now i either have to cancel a fourth transaction with the possibility of landing a fourth negative on my account OR ship the card to Indonesia hoping the package doesn't get lost and still end up with a fourth negative from this moron. And the worst part of all is ebay's new changes to their feedback system doesn't allow me to leave negative feedback on this guy,the only feedback choices as a Seller were Positive or Report Buyer,which is what i clicked on for the previous three items and nothing came from reporting the buyer.
    I ended up blocking the buyer's ID but who knows if that makes any difference in the end.

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is getting to be more of a hassle. When he agreed to the return eBay emailed me a return shipping label. Once the seller sent the refund the shipping label is no longer available. eBay is telling me I need to contact the seller to see if he wants me to return the box. I will not pay for return shipping.

To answer the question about the packs, I have not seen them but according to Steve at BBCE the packs were opened and put back into the box. They were not resealed.

I'll end up leaving negative feedback once all of this is over.

James

• Options

@Dpeck100 said:
    A simple Google search on the topic uncovers the case on the pharmaceutical company they reference. I guess you breezed over the part where most attorneys know that the fear of the litigation costs causes most to settle cases. To me it comes down to risk vs. reward. The risk is litigation and the reward is a little payback. Some people buy bank CD's and others microcap biotech stocks. Different strokes for different folks. I choose to err on the side of caution.

I agree, different strokes for different folks. I just haven't actually seen litigation yet so maybe you can point me in that direction. I read about someone who is obviously DSM-5 certifiable threatening it, only to dismiss it, only to get chastised by the court, only to get end up paying the very people they threatened litigation with. Like I said, if you're going to let something like that control your life you're going to end up locking yourself in your basement eating canned tuna for the rest of your life. I'm not going to allow the 0.0000001% of the population that is disconnected from reality dictate how I live my life.

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Tuna is good for you Reggie, but in south Texas basements are hard to come by.

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options

I would trade my basement for that BBQ and Mexican food any day.

• Options

If the packs were opened, then yes, negative feedback. I will have to assume he knew they were opened. If he didn't, he should have checked out the box before reselling.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options

@ReggieCleveland said:

@Dpeck100 said:

I agree, different strokes for different folks. I just haven't actually seen litigation yet so maybe you can point me in that direction. I read about someone who is obviously DSM-5 certifiable threatening it, only to dismiss it, only to get chastised by the court, only to get end up paying the very people they threatened litigation with. Like I said, if you're going to let something like that control your life you're going to end up locking yourself in your basement eating canned tuna for the rest of your life. I'm not going to allow the 0.0000001% of the population that is disconnected from reality dictate how I live my life.

Were talking about leaving a negative feedback on an EBAY purchase. This isn't a life changing issue and something I don't spend an ounce of time thinking about. In my view there isn't enough to gain and it is just something I have no desire to do. If the OP wants to leave a negative have at it.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Just this past week,I had a buyer in Indonesia use Buy It Now on three of my ebay listings when all three clearly stated i ship to the US Only. After seeing the guy was in Indonesia,and not wanting to wait weeks for the payment to clear, i cancelled all three transactions,gave the buyer a full refund with an explanation why I did that,and relisted the 3 cards. The guy then left 3 negative feedback comments on my seller account when i did absolutely nothing wrong. I then had to send three feedback revision requests to this idiot to have them revised/removed.
    What does he end up doing? He purchased one of the three cards a second time but hasn't sent payment yet,knowing full well I won't ship to Indonesia. Now i either have to cancel a fourth transaction with the possibility of landing a fourth negative on my account OR ship the card to Indonesia hoping the package doesn't get lost and still end up with a fourth negative from this moron. And the worst part of all is ebay's new changes to their feedback system doesn't allow me to leave negative feedback on this guy,the only feedback choices as a Seller were Positive or Report Buyer,which is what i clicked on for the previous three items and nothing came from reporting the buyer.
    I ended up blocking the buyer's ID but who knows if that makes any difference in the end.

Had a similar experience. I called eBay and had them remove the negative feedback.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,552 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neg for sure. Product was fraudulent.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

IMO if the seller refunded you and has a good track record, give the benefit of the doubt.
    There is a certain seller on EBay that I just gave 5 negs to even though he refunded me however
    His track record was the worst I have seen on eBay ever and he lied to me.He should not be allowed to sell.

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options

Who paid the expense of shipping to and from Steve and for his opinion?

>

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those unopened roll are scams. I usually ended up return them but I never leave a negative feedback since they refunded me the money without a fight. Give them a chance. LOL