Thinking of making an offer on this:

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• Options
    gscoinsgscoins Posts: 287 ✭✭✭

I imagine you have already done your homework on this coin, but I can offer the following:

1. NE Coin says the last 1884 florin in NGC 64 went for $940. Actually, the Heritage website lists that coin, plus one more that sold five days later (also an NGC 64) for about $617 (including premium).

2. NGC population is 8 with one better. PCGS is 6 with 2 better. Total at MS 61 and above is 32 between the 2 services.

3. More to the point, I like the coin's luster; it looks pretty original to me. However, judging from the braided hair, the strike seems a little weak, compared to the copy that sold for $617. I am not a good enough grader to know whether PCGS would call it a 64 (or anything else!). I would think something in the $625-650 area would be as high as I would go.

Good luck!

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks, Any recommendation for sellers of these?

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    gscoinsgscoins Posts: 287 ✭✭✭

The only person I can think of is a guy named Jon Blyth, a British dealer who uses Ebay. I do not know if he sells outright or just via auction. There are a number of British coin dealers, none of whom I have done business with to speak of. Sorry I am not much help...

• Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭

Looks like a decent piece to me. Priced fairly strong though.

I have a PCGS MS63 1858 Florin available in my Ebay store (link below). Feel free to contact me through a PM here for a better deal. It's listed at $989 CDN, approx $770 USD. Looks nicer in hand, could use a reholdering.

http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

I obviously know nothing about these, l but where is the date?

• Options

@JBK said:
    I obviously know nothing about these, l but where is the date?

Date is in Roman numerals starting at 3:00 on the obverse/

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

Thx! That's great. And I love the alternate denomination listed on the coin...

Is there a name for these designs - perhaps derived from the garb that Queen Vic is wearing? I thought I had heard of these before but not sure.

• Options

@JBK said:
    Thx! That's great. And I love the alternate denomination listed on the coin...

Is there a name for these designs - perhaps derived from the garb that Queen Vic is wearing? I thought I had heard of these before but not sure.

Gothic type. A florin in this case.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2017 4:47PM

GOTHIC! Thx, that is what i was thinking of.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like those!

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭

Personally I wouldn't pay a 64 price for that one, the strike looks a little too weak to fetch full price. This a 64 I bought just a couple of years ago, and thought I paid full whack for it, but less than that.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Technically IMO, the OP coin has been dipped and retoned - and a bit of dulled luster at that. It's alright but that is it. I would stay under 500 as a buyer, but personally don't much care for it. Were I to grade just off of the pictures, I would lean at the 62/63 borderline & prob. put it in the former.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.