Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Why does PCGS do this?? Whining ended: grades and pictures posted.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 28, 2017 4:08AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Why do they switch an order submitted as Regular over to World Regular, effectively squeezing me for a five day delay in the grading period??

In the past I have submitted SC$'s as Regular and that's where they stayed. Now I submitted SC$'s as Regular for Crossover and they switched it to World-Regular, adding an extra five days to the turnaround. It isn't really a big deal but I thought I'd ask if anyone else had this happen?? Is it SOP??

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2017 10:16AM

Don't they need to check the HK #'s? That takes extra time. IMO, tokens don't belong in a regular tier. Perhaps the first time you got a gift.

• Options

when it first posted as received I called customer service to see why it was listed as World, I thought I had made a mistake. they said, no, it was a regular order, but it gets listed as World when all the medals are US and there doesn't appear to be anything separate for Tokens/Medals that I am aware of.

since there explanation doesn't seem to make sense I thought maybe some member had experienced the same thing. I haven't with prior submissions.

• Options
    nencoinnencoin Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭✭

Hopefully they won't try to charge you the extra $5 secure fee that they'd charge for a regular world coin submission.

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2017 10:47AM

Why does PCGS do this??

Because they can...

Later, Paul.
  • Options

@nencoin said: "Hopefully they won't try to charge you the extra $5 secure fee that they'd charge for a regular world coin submission."

@Stooge said: "Why does PCGS do this?? Because they can..."

NO! Because they should!!! I'm not a PCGS suck-up either so post anything along that line and you'll get a disagree from me! :p

Now, TPGS's offer a service. AFAIK, they divide that service up into tiers based on speed, value and coin type. I should think that more goes into grading/authenticating/imaging an 1804 dollar than a 1945 quarter. Same goes for authenticating and grading a 1756 Peru 8 Rls than a New Rochelle 50c. Furthermore, I'll bet a lot of customers (not you Keets) try to slip a few things pass the folks who input the coins at the TPGS's with unrealistic values or improper tiers. It's human nature. :)

• Options

insider --- these were straight forward NGC crossover SC$'s submitted Regular Secure with the online submission. the system knows what everything is at the form is being completed, so it isn't like I gamed PCGS into thinking these were coins when they were Medals. if that were the case, then the submitter(in this case, me) should be alerted that the "submission type" is changed. i wasn't

without complaining too much, it seems wrong that they can change it in process for whatever their reason is. just offer another option if they need more time, but don't charge a customer for one thing and then deliver another.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

They could ship em back on your dime and make you submit under the correct tier!

• Options
    edited October 25, 2017 1:52PM

@keets said: "Insider --- these were straight forward NGC crossover SC$'s submitted Regular Secure with the online submission. the system knows what everything is at the form is being completed, so it isn't like I gamed PCGS into thinking these were coins when they were Medals. if that were the case, then the submitter(in this case, me) should be alerted that the "submission type" is changed. i wasn't. Without complaining too much, it seems wrong that they can change it in process for whatever their reason is. just offer another option if they need more time, but don't charge a customer for one thing and then deliver another."

I guess you didn't comprehend what I wrote: "I'll bet a lot of customers (not you Keets) try to slip a few things pass the folks who input the coins at the TPGS's with unrealistic values or improper tiers.

I posted AFAIK...! This means I don't know the workings of PCGS - I don't use them!

Anyway, AFAIK, your complaint is with PCGS not me. :'(

PS I stand by my post. They should.

• Options
    edited October 25, 2017 2:17PM

make you submit under the correct tier!

they were submitted under the correct tier. where do you think they should have been submitted??

1 1 In Process In Process 1917 Medal In Process USA
    2 1 In Process In Process 1939 SC$1 In Process USA
    3 1 In Process In Process 1959 Medal In Process USA
    4 1 In Process In Process 1886 Medal In Process USA
    5 1 In Process In Process 1886 Medal In Process USA
    6 1 In Process In Process 1917 Medal In Process USA

another thing that was unusual about the above information: when it was originally entered on the page item 6 had "in process" highlighted as a link which took me to a PCGS page that listed reasons why a coin couldn't be encapsulated. after a day or two it changed to normal.

my hunch is some type of data entry problem.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,701 ✭✭✭✭✭

Call (800) 447-8848 for your answer.

• Options

@messydesk said:
    Call (800) 447-8848 for your answer.

Perhaps 447-555-1000 would be just as helpful. >:)

• Options

I called them when the order arrived and it posted as "World" and didn't really get an answer, they just assured me that it was a crossover. not very helpful

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know your excited and want these done asap. I got 14 coins in there too but I decided to give them 2 months and let them do what they do. If it gets done before the 2 months are up then I was going to say that they got them done early. I actually forgot they have them even though its only been 1 week. What am I trying to say let it go and give them time go enjoy your free time and live life! Be happy! OK that's all have a great week.

• Options

well, in what seems to be typical fashion for me I only needed to be patient a while longer, in this case two days.

my order posted this evening but the cert numbers still haven't been entered and no TrueViews have been taken. that usually takes another day so they'll probably be up on Monday. overall the results were good, 5 of 6 crossed at the same grade with the 6th a DNC.

Line Items Cert # PCGS # Description Grade Country

1 1 34265174 643953 1917 Medal HK-437 MS65 USA
    2 1 34265175 644065 1939 SC$1 HK-491 Silver New York World's Fair MS64 USA
    3 1 34265176 642936 1959 Medal HK-552 Nevada Centennial MS63 USA
    4 1 34265177 643044 1886 Medal HK-601 MS62 USA --- NGC had this as 62PL, I asked only for 62 as a min
    5 1 34265178 643045 1886 Medal HK-601a, BN DNC USA --- NGC 66, so I'll have to look closer
    6 1 34265179 643697 1917 Medal HK-887 MS64 USA

I'll post the TrueViews when they're available.

• Options
    DoughDeoDoughDeo Posts: 64 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, very nice! The 552 is my favorite

• Options
    edited October 28, 2017 7:23AM

HK-552 is an enigma to me. Hibler-Kappen state that 1,000 pcs. were struck at the Philadelphia Mint and the issue sold-out. the second edition list it as an R-5 and yet I have only seen 2-3 others offered for sale since 2001. I obtained this one via the So-Called Dollar Mini Hoard back in 2007. it seems like it should be more available but since they sold for $5 I'd guess that quite a few probably have been melted in the intervening years.
    [https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/562542/so-called-dollar-mini-hoard-and-still-more-pictures-added]

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin; I'll email you some gorgonzola cheese to go along with your whine.....

• Options

no need, I had salsa and chips last night with some sharp, white cheddar.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 29, 2017 11:26AM

Nice looking So-Called Dollars @keets. Love the flash and color on these. Phil and team did a wonderful job capturing them.

HK-887 has great color and got me to look up what a "hyphen" was. Numismatics+Wikipedia are a great combination for learning about history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyphenated_American

• Options

TrueView of the last medal finally posted after a delay of some sort and PhIl really nailed it. usually these are dipped-out white so I was fortunate to find a medal that was toned. it's a little dark on the reverse, too bad I couldn't have "rescued" it about 10 years earlier!!

HK-491

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,899 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice medals! HK-887 would be my favorite slogan.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

The HK-491, HK-552, and HK-887 are all about as appealing as I've ever seen - great stuff!

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • Options

Cool medals, and I'm glad you like the pics.

@keets said:
    the HK-491 hasn't posted yet for some reason

Our system is automated to an extent that it can handle perfectly round coins/medals/tokens very easily. Just a couple mouse clicks and an image is ready and deployed. If a coin has an unusual shape, as is the case with the World's Fair medal, it requires some more work to deploy. We get a little backed up in getting these out depending on how busy we are. Sorry for any delay!

Phil

Radiant Collection: Numismatics and Exonumia of the Atomic Age.
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/showcase/3232

• Options

thank you, Phil, and your work here is top notch. my only concern was in heading things off before the medals were shipped back. I checked like at 9:57 local time before I called CS and it was up. :)

• Options
    edited November 1, 2017 12:14PM

finally tracked down a picture of the DNC. I felt OK about this one so I'll have to look close when it comes back.

• Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

Does PCGS transfer the provenance when you ask for a cross-over?

Paul
  • Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    HK-552 is an enigma to me. Hibler-Kappen state that 1,000 pcs. were struck at the Philadelphia Mint and the issue sold-out. the second edition list it as an R-5 and yet I have only seen 2-3 others offered for sale since 2001.

FWIW, I have about 40 sale records from major auctions since 2001. That's in line for other R-5 pieces. Heritage alone shows at least 10 in their archives. The pops across the street are also in line with pops for other R-5 pieces.

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since I was born and raised about 30 miles down the road in Amsterdam, NY the 601 (and 601a) has to be my favorite. Like them all a lot but Albany is the bomb.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options

pmac, I don't know from experience but I believe they would. other members would be more helpful.
    thanks, jonathan, I suppose when the medals have been listed I simply missed them. to be sure, I wasn't questioning the numbers or the information, I just thought it strange that I never see them offered. I shall endeavor to pay closer attention. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file