Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Buy Card or the card grade?

I am looking to buy a 57 Starr in a PSA 4 or 4.5 grade. I have my eye on a PSA 4 which in my opinion looks nicer than one graded 4.5. Price is nearly the same for both. I think I know what the board will say, but do I go for the higher grade or the look of the card? Thanks.

PackManInNC

Comments

• Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2017 6:34AM

for me, it depends on a few things. ive been collecting jeter rookie cards lately, goal was to get them in all 9's. so one or two i upgraded from an 8 even though i didn't really need to. from a 4 to a 4.5, i wouldn't bother. especially if the small bump isn't really noticeable. upgrading from a 4 to lets say a 6 or 7, sure.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    MrHockeyMrHockey Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

As they always say, "buy the holder, not the card".

Oh wait.

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

Give me a 2 that looks like a 7 over a 5 that looks like a 5 every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland said:
    Give me a 2 that looks like a 7 over a 5 that looks like a 5 every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

What if the 2 will cost almost as much as the 7?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-Topps-Hockey-Bobby-Orr-ROOKIE-RC-35-PSA-2-GD-PWCC-HE/401405507576?hash=item5d75a1f7f8:g:WosAAOSwLiJZvG65

Kevin

Kevin

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭

But would you pay the same price for the 2 as you would the 5? It appears to me that this the dilemma.

@ReggieCleveland said:

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

This thread needs some picts. I was very happy to pay for this 63 Mays. It was more than PSA 7 price but much less than PSA 8 price for this card. This card looks better than most PSA 8's I have seen. Worth every penny to me as the eye-appeal to me is outstanding for the grade.

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dontippet said:
    But would you pay the same price for the 2 as you would the 5? It appears to me that this the dilemma.

@ReggieCleveland said:

It would entirely depend on the card and the cost. I would say as a loose generality that I would, in most cases, pay a 4 price for the 2 that looks like a 7, rather than pay the 5 price for the 5. Basically we're talking about beautiful near mint card that has a spot of paper loss on the back. I'm buying the card for me, not for VCP or completed sales or for the handful of wallet humpers on an internet message board. When I look at my card I want to get all tingly in my hobby nethers and a scorcher with a low technical grade will do that. I'll pay a premium price for that over a mid-grade card that looks just like everybody else's mid-grade card. Just my $0.02 and the way I choose to collect.

• Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

Wow, both of those cards look awesome.

PackManInNC
  • Options
    dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

The card, eye appeal seems to be the most important quality for a majority of collectors.

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
  • Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

I think the best recommendation across the board would lean towards always buying the card and I think it will help your resell value shall the time ever come. I guess what really matters is what matters to you. A centered card that has high appeal is fun to look at and would likely sell decent raw, whereas an off center card or one with clear defects can be a severe eyesore and I am even less likely to show them to others personally; this makes me think it would deter interested buyers from even looking. Price is secondary then as the normal price for that grade card could very well not be met.

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

Buy the card, not the holder

• Options
    MintacularMintacular Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭

Beware the 4 in hand will probably have a major problem defect/crease maybe not visible in the scan, 95% of the time a 4 is a 4 for reason

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buy the card not the holder. Here is the same 1915 CJ Cobb card - one is a 7 and one is not. Pick which one is the 7.