Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

How Many Great Britain 1983 2 "NEW PENCE" Were Struck?

This is a question that I've had for several years, and generally gather that NOBODY has an answer to. I have seen some estimates as low as 20, but I would suspect higher than that.

As readers may recall, the Reverse legend/denomination that had been effect from 1971-1982 was switched from 2 "NEW PENCE' over to "TWO PENCE" in 1983. However, a very few mint sets escaped that had the older first reverse. Many were in packaging that strangely included an advertisement for "MARTINI" in the paper work, and then possibly fewer still in a packaging version that had "HEINZ" advertising. It seemingly is still in dispute whether some were included in Royal Mint Sets with no advertising.

In any case, the vast bulk in sets were of the New Type "TWO PENCE".

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
Well, just Love coins, period.

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's with all the crickets?

I'd like to know as well. I am sure it is more than 20, though.

I was in London last year at a coin shop and held a 20p mule. Those also have a murky mintage, On that trip I visited the Royal Mint and I guess they can estimate how many of the 20p coins exist based on how long he presses ran, etc. I was told that most are not in the market place yet, presumably locked away in bags somewhere waiting to be put into circulation.

My understanding is that UK errors are not as widely collected as US errors, so they are a comparative bargain.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I also was surprised at lack of response. This coin IMO is not an error but rather a viable transition type that is significantly different than the succeeding design and is of larger copper format. If I put a number out there it would only be a guess; I'm thinking it may be 100. I did get one of the Martini sets with the rare 2P, and was happy to do so.

• Options
    RMWRMW Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

This piece will have its day but not many focus on decimal bronze British coinage now, I guess.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

If one does not have an answer, a response is dubious. 'Viable transition type' is preposterous.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Honestly, what in the world are you talking about in any part of your response which sounds as though it came from Yogi Berra? It absolutely is NOT preposterous - what I am saying is that it is no minor variety. This was a simple question posed to see if anybody might have the knowledge; I'm trying to figure out how you are contributing to the discussion?