Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Finally a new variation to Take Me Out to the Ball Game

Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

As some of you know, I'm a collector of the original sheet music for Take me out to the ball game by Norworth/VonTilzer.

It’s been years since I’ve found a new variation to my sheet music collection which started in 2004.

It started with just wanting a copy to frame.

However, when I realized there was more than one face on the cover? I was off to the races which started with a google search which landed me on the door step of the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Thought it would be interesting to start with this post at CU back in 2005 where I stated that I had picked up 2 of the 11 variations of the original sheet music to Take Me Out to the Ball Game.

That information came from the HOF. That also started my relationship with the Dir. of Research - Tim Wiles. He had written a book in 2008 - commemorating the 100th anniversary of the song.

In summary, I had updated the hall’s data base by around 10 song sheets and supplied them with copies. As said, they originally had written that there were 11 variations. I later informed them I was up to 25 and counting!

I have written before about Jack Norworth and his contribution to the song. I may rewrite it at a later time in this thread.

But, now, for the update.

As most know, BST auctions is heavy on FB but I do check on their auctions.

I got an email and went to the web and got the surprise of a lifetime!

There it was - a copy of the sheet music with a singer (photo inset) I had never seen before. So I had to have it.

Osborn Searle is the 29th variation I have and it was pure luck that I happened to look at the auction since I wasn’t interested in buying anything at this time.

Here’s the complete list of all the variations I have.

It’s believed that the “first edition/printing” of the song was with Sadie Jansel on the cover.

1. Richard & Grover
  2. Ida Burt Laurence
  3. Wheeler Earl
  4. John Marion – Grace Lillian
  5. Susie Fisher
  6. Nevins & Arnold
  7. J. Francis Dooley
  8. Henry Fink (mouth closed)
  9. Trixie Friganza (holding umbrella var.)
  10. Trixie Friganza (portrait var.)
  11. Sisters Meredith
  12. Reynolds & Tucker
  13. Sam Williams (standing)
  14. Nora Bayes
  15. Arna Deck
  16. Jack Kloville
  17. Sam Williams (sitting)
  18. Marion Wilder
  19. Harry Fox
  20. Netta Vesta
  21. Baby Florence Mascotte
  22. Billy Sousa
  23. Maude Gray
  24. Jack Norworth
  25. Sadie Jansell
  26. Lulu Beeson
  27. Henry Fink (showing teeth with smile)
  28. Richard Burton
  29. Osborn Searle

In addition, folklore would have it that Jack Norworth reported that he wrote the song after seeing an ad in the subway for a BB game?

I have seen old correspondence where he references attending a game which was prior to that date. Not sure if he was just a plain vaudevillian “huckster” or the copyright was actually later than the actual penning of the song? Perhaps more to that at a later date?

That’s about it for now. This hunt may rival my search for PEP Babe Ruth ring variations?

Mike

Comments

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

Mike ... congrats on picking up another version. I know this project is near and dear to you. Looking forward to #30.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mike,

Congrats on your new pickup. That is an amazing feat to have 29 different versions of the sheet music to "Take Me Out To The Ballgame"!!! :+1::+1::+1::+1:

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2017 2:37PM

Thanx guys.

Thought I would add to this thread as I go along. There's other interesting stuff to add that I may have posted many years ago.

Of interest - Edison invented a fully operational gramophone in 1877 - and his company recorded Take Me Out.... in 1908 - Edward Meeker.

Here's a really good copy I picked up years ago:

note: notice who's name is credited on the lid - not Norworth - interesting.

Mike
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

Awesome stuff as always Mike!

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭

Very Cool Mike!

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    fmclaug11fmclaug11 Posts: 325 ✭✭✭

Love seeing your updates on finding new versions! I imagine it would be tough, but wondering if you have them on display together somehow?

• Options
    TheThrill22TheThrill22 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

Great stuff!

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

And to think all these variations are just a Stone throw from my house

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2017 3:26PM

@fmclaug11 said:
    Love seeing your updates on finding new versions! I imagine it would be tough, but wondering if you have them on display together somehow?

Not really - too many - they're in 11x14 top loaders. I could consider have one framed tho down the road?

And to think all these variations are just a Stone throw from my house

Funny Al. And I'm getting closer to the "unveiling" buddy.

Mike
  • Options

Thanx a lot as always for the kind words guys!

Mike
  • Options

I have a "scan" copy of a letter than Norworth wrote that told the writer that he donated the original handwritten lyrics to the Baseball HOF.

Here's a scan of the copy of the first page:

Mike
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

Very nice stuff here.
    Can consider this also part of US history.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    mouschimouschi Posts: 687 ✭✭✭✭

This is too cool. I love it!

Tanner Jones, Author of Confessions of a Baseball Card Addict - Now Available on Amazon!
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice segment on the CBS News about the song tonight. I was surprised they did not interview Mike as an expert. :)

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

Thanx so much guys!

More to come - sure hope I don't bore ya to death with this stuff?

Mike
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

Very cool Mike, congrats!

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

Great and unique collection, congrats

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

Stone,

Love seeing your dedication to your project. Congrats on the new pickup

M

Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

Hiya Mike! Another great addition. Here's a little tidbit on a new variation. With all the peanut allergies, kids are now being taught it's "buy me some popcorn and cracker jacks"! I guess in today's day and age, there are so few peanuts in cracker Jacks, they can still mention them!

Yet another variation ;)

• Options

Thanx guys for the kind words - always makes the hobby more fun when people say something nice.

Mike
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Mike---you should post your TMOTTBG collection on 54 at some point

net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=133378

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options

@bishop said:
    Mike---you should post your TMOTTBG collection on 54 at some point

net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=133378

Thanx Al - I'm thinking I might have posted something years ago? But, since I've hit the jackpot this year? Might not be a bad idea.

Mike