Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PSA Holders vs Hurricane Irma - Note graphics may not be appropriate for hard core collections :(

tbonewillytbonewilly Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
edited October 23, 2017 12:37PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Okay, sorry for getting back late on this, but I was part of Hurricane Irma and its wrath. Had 3 feet of water throughout the house, suffice to say lots of cleanup work. Depressing part is that part of my collection did have damage. I could live with some of singles that I had set aside being wet, but I was working on a scanning project with my 1959 Topps baseball set. A month prior to the hurricane, I got called out of town on a family emergency and only made it back to the Keys the night before I had to leave. I thought I had everything taken care of, well, let's just say I have some pretty good evidence that these holders are not water tight. I don't have any copies of PSA packs yet to show
, but they also had issues. Go figure though, all of my GAI packs were perfect!..Most PSA labels got wet, even if the card didn't, Let's just say I'm kinda disappointed and pretty dang bummed as insurance will help some, but it really does take quite a bit away from you after seeing it..

I also lost some valuable ones, I will add more to the list as I have to take photos (scanner floated) and using a wifi hotspot since I can't live at home yet so uploads are painfully slow, but here's this guy Bob. I do allow crying after seeing this photo

Ken - Volunteered to work in Florida Keys, now freezing in Ohio
Work in progress - Unopened Racks/Cello/Wax with star power for Baseball, Football and Basketball
Collecting unopened 80's boxes and graded packs
I may be hoarding too much 80's junk wax but I like it!

Comments

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

tbone, bummer about the collection. Always a terrible feeling to see the water damage to the collection. Hopefully insurance will cover the majority of your losses. Man that Conley card took a major hit. Thanks for posting and good luck with everything.

• Options

@JBrules said:
    tbone, bummer about the collection. Always a terrible feeling to see the water damage to the collection. Hopefully insurance will cover the majority of your losses. Man that Conley card took a major hit. Thanks for posting and good luck with everything.

Thanks!...Yea it stunk pretty bad, but hey, it happens, I literally missed being safe by 3 lousy inches on my desk. Just didn't expect that much. I couldn't believe how they leaked and there was no rhyme or reason, some floated and were perfect, others, well you can see and I think close to 10 to 15% of my 59 set got some sort of water damage.

Work in progress - Unopened Racks/Cello/Wax with star power for Baseball, Football and Basketball
  • Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear about this man. Hopefully some of the other key cards didn't get damage. Its a shame on the Clemente. Any chance you had a new psa holder in there also? I am curious if the new holders are also not waterproof, but I assume not.

• Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

I'm so sorry. That is just something you would never plan for.

PackManInNC
  • Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 23, 2017 5:12PM

Really sad to see. Glad you are safe.

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

So sorry to hear about the damage to your cards. I know monetary compensation is not going to make u feel 100% better, but I hope you get compensated enough to ease some of the pain.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭
    edited October 23, 2017 3:53PM

Horrible, just horrible. Made me sick to my stomach. These forums really need a "Dislike" option.

• Options
    airjoedanairjoedan Posts: 776 ✭✭✭

I know they don’t claim the holders to be waterproof, but I still can’t believe that they are not. I can’t imagine why they wouldn’t be, seems like a basic protection to hinder tampering and protect paper from air/water exposure.

Wild...

• Options
    airjoedanairjoedan Posts: 776 ✭✭✭

To add, sorry to hear about the damage! Best wishes!

• Options

Thanks everyone, yea, ultimately, the family is safe and that is #1. Was just surprised that the holders were 50/50. Some were perfect, others, well you can see the results..I didn't have a holder with the new PSA logo, but my one and only 91 Desert Shield PSA 10, again, not a high dollar, but just murphy working

Another "star" I'm thinking Brooks fell into a brook of water :neutral:

I think that #10 Mickey Mantle was fine, but the 2nd and 3rd most expensive cards, well, toast

So which high dollar rookie card would be the worst one to have destroyed...Insert tears here

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ugh. Those were beautiful cards. Sad to see them ruined like that.

• Options

But there was some good that came out of this, my wife and I had been wanting to upgrade our "shed" which is attached to our old hot tub room via the bedroom (well, the hot tub floated up, and then crashed back down, pretty well trashed), so we decided to have his and her "caves"!...I'm almost done with the rough work on the "man" cave and it will be joined next to the "woman" cave, which are off the master bedroom. I'll have a separate entrance to the man cave and it will also double as a place to put my workbench since I don't have a garage. But we will have AC and a small fridge, wired for surround sound, what more can I ask for...I think a few of these PSA cards will definitely have to be on display in the "cave"

• Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

ugh sorry to hear and see that....you're right, just about brought tears to my eyes.

I'm glad that Mantle survived. The single on that you would choose to survive I imagine. And glad to hear all in the family escaped harm and are well.

Good luck with the man and woman caves. Looks like you know what you're doing. What are you doing to prevent a repeat of the flooding in case another vicious storm arises? Knock on wood.

Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

So sorry..hope insurance helps replace.

"Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Options
    firedawg45firedawg45 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭

that was my first fear, also living in Florida in Irma path, sorry about your loss.

# 2 Pete Rose Master Set , also
    collecting 1977 topps baseball in psa 9 and psa 10
  • Options
    TheMickTheMick Posts: 217 ✭✭✭

Ouch, the Clemente and Gibson were real nice cards. Glad that a good percentage of your stuff was OK. I noticed that a Gibson rookie card in PSA 7.5 condition recently sold for $1,276 on Sept. 14th. If you're in the process of documenting your loss, here you go:

https://ebay.com/itm/1959-Topps-Bob-Gibson-ROOKIE-RC-514-PSA-7-5-NRMT-PWCC-/401398027201?epid=159800343&hash=item5d752fd3c1:g:v~EAAOSwXvNZrdf~

It would be interesting to find out how your insurance claim goes.

• Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

that just sucks to look at. sorry for the losses. rise up from the ashes!!

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Sorry for your loss. Would be interested to know if your insurance company takes the position the damage was due to hurricane, flood or wind. It could matter depending on type of insurance or insurance rider involved. Many insurance disputes arise regarding the "cause" of the damage versus the insurance coverage involved . Most basic homeowner policies do not cover hurricane or flood damage, which must be purchased separately.

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options

@bishop said:
    Sorry for your loss. Would be interested to know if your insurance company takes the position the damage was due to hurricane, flood or wind. It could matter depending on type of insurance or insurance rider involved. Many insurance disputes arise regarding the "cause" of the damage versus the insurance coverage involved . Most basic homeowner policies do not cover hurricane or flood damage, which must be purchased separately.

Insurance is done thru my flood insurance policy. Yep, most homeowners wouldn't cover it. I don't have enough contents coverage to cover all items, but we have a $10k policy for furniture and such, which helps cover some of the cards. I didn't have that many high ticket item cards, really that 59 set was where the bulk of my value was.

@seebelow said:
    ugh sorry to hear and see that....you're right, just about brought tears to my eyes.

I'm glad that Mantle survived. The single on that you would choose to survive I imagine. And glad to hear all in the family escaped harm and are well.

Good luck with the man and woman caves. Looks like you know what you're doing. What are you doing to prevent a repeat of the flooding in case another vicious storm arises? Knock on wood.

Wished there was a way to prevent flooding, but my house is older and considered a ground level place. The house itself actually held up great, no roof damage (had a metal roof put in a couple of years ago(, no structure damage, just lots of drywall. It's been 20 years since it was last flooded and then it was only 6 inches, so it's just luck. This is a first time for building, but i have a contractor that is giving advise and it's actually going quite easy. I had just had them do a bathroom renovation, so I learned a few tricks during that work. About 98% of my unopened packs survived without a hitch (except potential PSA graded ones that I have to look at later), so the little blessing is that I have those. When this is all done, I'll be having a blast opening up all of the cases of cards and determine what to do next with them as we just packed them in strong containers and stored away for now..

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Geez Ken, I can only share in giving my sympathies to you for your loss.

Really hard to read this thread buddy.

Mike
  • Options

I about threw-up when I saw the Bob Gibson.

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

• Options

@Stone193 said:
    Geez Ken, I can only share in giving my sympathies to you for your loss.

Really hard to read this thread buddy.

Thanks Mike, yea, but it's a good lesson to learn, plus I had been wondering about how waterproof these holders were, I think it varies on the model they used at the time, I'm noticing alot of 16x and 17x numbers seem to be the leaky ones, but then I also seen them in the 22x range too. I didn't save a copy out, but a few of the new cases with the PSA sticker (sorry, the newer ones with the fancy hologram), I found the labels to be wet, but the cards seemed to be fine.

Maybe I outta send that Gibson in for a "reholder" and have it labeled "Hurricane Irma" :), don't think the grade changed :D I wonder what PSA would do if I sent a couple of them in for potential bumps (and I don't mean the ridges in the cardboard!) Ed still looks like a 7 to me, at least the upper left corner...

You have to laugh and enjoy the humor, as they say, it's just cardboard and I have learned that when cardboard gets wet, it gets moldy too!..

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

LOL ^ I would contribute $5 to the reholder. seriously, try it with Gibson!

• Options
    kgibsonkgibson Posts: 264 ✭✭✭

It was bad enough reading this thread, but the Gibby made me sick! I'm sorry to hear this.

"You know we just don't recognize the most significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, well, there'll be other days. I didn't realize that that was the only day."
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sorry to hear of the damage and loss you suffered. At least the family and the structure of the house remained intact.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tough luck. A real shame. Hope all goes well for you going ahead. You sound like you have the right positive attitude, so you will be fine.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    mouschimouschi Posts: 687 ✭✭✭✭

Man! I'm so sorry this happened. I know family is #1 for sure and know you know that, but this still def. stings and I can understand why. Thankfully they are replaceable, and a year or so from now, this will only add to the amazing story behind a fantastic 1959 Topps set! I wish you the best of luck.

Tanner Jones, Author of Confessions of a Baseball Card Addict - Now Available on Amazon!
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭

Really sorry this happened to you buddy. Glad you're safe though.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."