Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

COMPLETED !!!! 1977 Topps Mexican Football Set

I had a good start about a year ago, buying a partially complete set and a bunch of tradebait from a collector in Mexico. Was able to piece together the rest, and also have a few interesting print errors/variations as well as all 5 wrapper variations. For those familiar with the set, it is near impossible and very expensive to complete. What a cool set to look through in the binder!!

Next step will be upgrading some of my poorer condition cards. I have lots of tradebait, including some Dirty Dozens and other SPs for anyone that's looking.

As a side note, I also picked up complete sets of Mexican 6 Million Dollar Man, King Kong, Charlie's Angels, and Planet of the Apes from the same guy and was able to get PSA to add King Kong and Planet of the Apes to their set registry, which were not in there before. Thanks to all that provided the help in doing that!

https://ebay.com/itm/382258712610

Comments

• Options
    TheMickTheMick Posts: 217 ✭✭✭

buen trabajo señor

• Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

wow congrats....very interesting read. thanks

Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    flcardtraderflcardtrader Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

congrats Ken!

flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Shopify Store
    Ebay Store
  • Options
    ssollarsssollars Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭

Great work, congrats!

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ken,

Congrats on your completion of a very difficult set. :+1::+1:

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations, such a great set!

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    TheThrill22TheThrill22 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

Wow, great work! Building sets is awesome, something that I think is a great way to stay educated about the hobby and it's a fun thing to do with your kids if they are interested.

• Options
    kencopekencope Posts: 416 ✭✭

Thanks, guys! It was really fun learning more about this set, the production process, how many were brought into the states, etc. as well as learning about other Topps Mexican issues and being able to help get those issues recognized by PSA and hopefully inform collectors a little more about them. I will try to make a separate post about some of those other sets when I get the chance.

Again - If there are any other '77 Mexican FB collectors, I have a lot of extras and am looking to continue to upgrade my set.

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

whoah! fine work!!!!

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭

nice to know there are people out there still putting together sets....Can you share a couple of the variations?
    IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options

Congrats on completing the set. Very impressive. I completed one about 2 years ago, but took me about 10 to put together. Only have a few graded, but am considering changing that even though several have the usual gum stains.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations Ken.

Kind of confused. The link? Are you selling the set?

Mike
  • Options

Ironmanfan - Variations (blank backs/upside down, etc.) are in the last picture on the eBay link. More of print errors than true A/B type variations.

Morton - Congrats, man! What I wouldn't do for some 4-card packs ;}

Stone - More for display purposes, but everything is for sale for the right price.

• Options
    3BoyzTrading3BoyzTrading Posts: 798 ✭✭
    edited November 7, 2017 5:11AM

I am tempted to break my unopened wax box. I thought they were 4 card packs but based on the thinness of the BBCE wrapped box,I am not so sure. I broke about 10 loose packs from BBCE and wasn't to thrilled with the outcome.e as condition issues plague the set. Congrats on your accomplishment!

• Options

@3BoyzTrading said:
    I am tempted to break my unopened wax box. I thought they were 4 card packs but based on the thinness of the BBCE wrapped box,I am not so sure. I broke about 10 loose packs from BBCE and wasn't to thrilled with the outcome.e as condition issues plague the set. Congrats on your accomplishment!

If you do break it, please let me know! Would definitely be looking for upgrades. Collation is really the biggest issue with breaking a box. I've seen boxes broken that contained at least 20 OF THE SAME CARD!