Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

What would PSA grade this card now?

Earlier this year I subbed this card to PSA.

It went in a sub that ran into the G.O.D. I knew it wasn't a 10 it had corners that were typical of the thick Cup style cards but I didn't think a 9 was out of the question. I was disappointed with the results, went immediately out to my workshop, and cracked it out to resub. During the crack out I damaged the card. BAD. I was pissed and rushing and should have let it sit while I calmed down. Anyways I made it look like this:

Since I had 5 of them I decided just to sell it and be done with it. Put it up on eBay and sold it with full disclosure of the condition and this actual picture in the listing. The thing about the damage I did was that it was very difficult to see straight on or even in scans. This scan was after the damage:

So the card has been listed on ebay by the buyer after sending it to BGS. I was SHOCKED to see the grade:

The rest of the grades I can understand but how on earth does the damage to the surface of that card get a 7? I would have thought that it would have been counted similar to a wrinkle or crease and dropped it down to about a 4 at best. Since I've never submitted a card with that kind of surface issues what would PSA grade it now?

Kevin

Kevin

Comments

• MrHockeyMrHockey Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

I think you'd see a 6 from PSA most often.

• ZTargZTarg Posts: 497 ✭✭✭

You sold it, let it go.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZTarg said:
    You sold it, let it go.

+1

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭

He probably soaked it or used some sort of humidifier to swell the cardboard in that area to minimize the look of the indentation.

• LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was looking at it as a learning experience. Like I said said I've never subbed a card with that type of surface damage. If Casey is correct and it would get a 6 then its current grade isn't as big a surprise as my 4. My estimate of PSA standards will adjust accordingly for mid grade cards.

Thanks,
    Kevin

Kevin

• I've never subbed anything with surface problems that bad, but they hit the crap out of slight surface wrinkles that I still miss now and them. Those take a 9/10 and make it a 6