Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Found it!

KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 22, 2017 3:26PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Comments

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

No idea unless that is a Russian imperial eagle, in which case it is 2 kopecks.

Or maybe Prussian?

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Austria 2 Heller bronze. Very common.

Austria-Hungary was a dual monarchy and thus the two-headed eagle.

• KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 22, 2017 3:27PM

Found it.

2 HELLER FRANT. JOS. I. 1912

tisknout obrázek

Mince / MINCE RAKOUSKO - UHERSKO / FRANTIŠEK JOSEF I. (1848-1916)

Katalog č.: 35V-18

Rok: 1912

Materiál: měď (Cu)

Stav: 0/0
    Panovník: FRANTIŠEK JOSEF I. (1848-1916)
    Stát: Rakousko-Uhersko

Cena: 180,00 Kč Sazba DPH: zvláštní režim
    6,75 €
    $7.37

25 cents is closer.

• numismagramnumismagram Posts: 145 ✭✭✭

Jeremy Bostwick

For exceptional works of medallic art, check out our current inventory at Numismagram!

• pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

Is this one government copying another?

Paul
  • numismagramnumismagram Posts: 145 ✭✭✭

The double-headed eagle motif was fairly common across European kingdoms and empires; the Austro-Hungarian Empire was really just the last vestiges of the Holy Roman Empire following its dissolution during the Napoleonic wars. As mentioned in a comment above, the Russian empire also employed a double-headed eagle during its heyday. The parts that would change would be the coat-of-arms on the eagle's breast; that would generally be indicative of the issuing authority or mint.

Jeremy Bostwick

For exceptional works of medallic art, check out our current inventory at Numismagram!

edited October 23, 2017 9:53AM

Austria-Hungary might have been more accurately depicted by an eagle with ONE head and TWO bodies, but how the heck do you depict that?

• SteveBellSteveBell Posts: 58 ✭✭✭

Really cool coin.The Austro-hungarian empire ceased to exist after the first world war.The story and history behind this coin would have sold me,common or not.

I have a couple of very decent One Corona and Two Corona silver coins of Austria stuck in the old wool sock with my gold coins. These are a reminder of the good coins that the people of Austria had before the War and the hyperinflation - and are a historical reminder of why you should own some gold.

Austria had a hyperinflation that matched Germany's experience, at much the same time.

I have a few nice German Empire one mark silver coins stuck in the old wool sock for the same reason.

• StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 23, 2017 10:58AM

Albania is another:

In fact when Ahmet Zogolli went to stylize himself as Zog (or Zogu), zog is the Albanian word for 'bird'.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

The two headed eagle was used during the Roman-Byzantine Empire to signify their dominance in the east and west

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......