Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Coin Submission Grades Changed before shipping

I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else or if there is an explanation?
I submitted 4 quarters, all the same as the only coins in the submission. I got the "your grades are ready" email, and I immediately checked my grades. 3x MS66 and 1x MS67. I paid particular attention, I'm hoping for and expecting MS67, and I was disappointed but glad that I got at least one.

Usually the submission ships the next day, but in this case at least 8 days passed before I emailed customer service and asked about the status of the shipping. I never got a response but I got a shipping notification that night. I re-checked my grades and now all 4 were MS-66! What happened to the MS67?

Has this happened to anyone else? Are there any explanations other than "funny business?"

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭

This exact same thing happened to me about 10 years ago with a 5 quarter submission. I added the MS67 to my registry set and it posted as MS67. When I received the coins all 5 were MS66. The finalized pulled back the 67 and down graded it to 66. At the time I received the coins it still showed in my registry set as 67. I printed it and sent the coin with a hand written note “why did my coin get down graded” to David Hall for review. The coin was returned back to me as MS67.

• Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭✭✭

OK, thanks for sharing! 10 years ago they didn't have + grades. In this case I was extra surprised that it would fall from a 67 to 66 and not to a 66+.

• Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭

Good point.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

how would it have gotten the MS67 in the first place & if you expected all 67 not 66, did you get an explanation so you would know for future grade estimation. Just asking.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

@allcoinsrule I see hundreds of thousands of coins and the grading, what I thought I read was they sent you notice that had a grade on your submission report that said you had 1@ 67 and 4 @ 66. then when you received it all 5 had 66, Maybe I read that wrong.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭

@Kkathyl said:
    how would it have gotten the MS67 in the first place & if you expected all 67 not 66, did you get an explanation so you would know for future grade estimation. Just asking.

Because grading is subjective. I graded all 5 I sent in as MS67. I cracked all 5 from MS66 holders. all 5 eventually ended up in MS67 holders. Today several of those are probably in MS67+ holders.