Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Byzantine 750-800 AD Gold piece

SteveBellSteveBell Posts: 58 ✭✭✭
edited October 20, 2017 8:57PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Found this today at my local coin store.Absolutely gorgeous details for its age and has papers of authenticity. I'm seriously considering going back for it,but need an opinion(s).Original owner picked it up for roughly 1k-its marked down to 450,but store owner says it would be mine for 400.What do you all think?
Best regards!

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't help with a valuation, but a beautiful coin.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 20, 2017 11:48PM

I'm not an expert, but I wonder if this coin isn't a couple of centuries later than the time frame specified in the OP (about the year 1100 A.D. + or- a few decades). It is attractive, regardless, and probably represents not too much risk for the $400 price.

• Options
    numismagramnumismagram Posts: 146 ✭✭✭

It's a hyperpyron nomisma of John III Ducas (Vatatzes), the emperor of Nicaea (1222-1254). $400 isn't too bad of a price for it. They can go for considerably more, but only when more of the letters on the reverse are visible (they generally aren't for these 'cup-shaped' coins. They can also be had for as little as $150-200, but that's when there is clipping to the flan, graffiti, much poorer strike, etc. For comparison, here are a few currently in the CNG e-sale; similar strikes, but graffiti:

https://cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=346848
    https://cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=346849

Jeremy Bostwick

For exceptional works of medallic art, check out our current inventory at Numismagram!

• Options
    SteveBellSteveBell Posts: 58 ✭✭✭

Wow!Thanks for the info!

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know anything about it but it sure is nice.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a coin made to be clipped by the nefarious ones with all the border. I would imagine these traded more by weight than denomination.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    JoesMaNameJoesMaName Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭

Yes what numismagram said is correct. Nice strike on Jesus, no doubling - that's a good point. From that pic I'd say nice surfaces too. I didn't see anything better for less on ebay, I'd probably be a buyer at $400

Paul - saved by
    The Fireman...
  • Options
    RMWRMW Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

I thought EVERYTHING traded by weight at that time.

• Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭

I think $400 is a fair price for it. Not sure if it has been clipped but I like it