Home U.S. Coin Forum

How to lose money on an upgrade (or the price guide has some quirks)

dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recently re-submitted my 1912-S PCGS MS65 Liberty Nickel for re-grading. They re-graded it as MS65+, but their price guide shows the value going down ($3,450 in MS65 and $3,150 in MS65+).

Wonder where the issue is. I know they are always making adjustments. I wonder if they only adjusted the + grade price.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053

Comments

• TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah....I saw one case in the last week, (don't ask me to find it again), where a FS Jefferson Nickel is worth less than a non FS.

Start sanding those steps off!!!! ;)

(Let's face it....There is a lot of work involved in keeping a huge database of prices up-to-date and logical. I don't want that job!)

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

No "price guide" for coins cane be considered reliable except within a wide range. Each coin is a unique item regardless of what the label states. Therefore, each transaction is subject to variations that do not affect identical commodity trades.

Why not enjoy the coin and its history and not bother with an assumed value until you want to sell or trade it?

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dbldie55 said:
    I recently re-submitted my 1912-S PCGS MS65 Liberty Nickel for re-grading. They re-graded it as MS65+, but their price guide shows the value going down ($3,450 in MS65 and $3,150 in MS65+).

Wonder where the issue is. I know they are always making adjustments. I wonder if they only adjusted the + grade price.

It is likely that a 65+ sold for well below the original 65+ price guide value and PCGS lowered it without adjusting the normal MS65 value.

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

The MS65 is probably worth $1800-$2000 and the MS65+ is worth around $2400 based on recent auction data.

• jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably above and a flood of those on the market currently, supply exceeds demand

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 18, 2017 7:16PM

@dbldie55 said:

The $3150 is an average price of actual sales, no?

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you think it's a plus ? That all that matters. Apparently it's on the cusp of gem. Way to pick them.

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll ask Ron Guth to look into it.
    Lance.

• AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 18, 2017 9:22PM

@RogerB said:
    No "price guide" for coins cane be considered reliable except within a wide range. Each coin is a unique item regardless of what the label states. Therefore, each transaction is subject to variations that do not affect identical commodity trades.

Ain't this the truth. Anyone check out the Grey Sheet lately? Fully whacked. I believe at this time, the PCGS price guide is more reliable than the Grey Sheet.

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 19, 2017 4:39AM

I consider multiple sources in pricing items to sell. Dealer price lists and cost plus hold plenty of weight.

The value of your coin did not go down with the upgrade - in that instance I throw out the pg price and go with another method - auction data for instance, dealer asking price, or cdn plus my markup (plus or CAC coin probably 50 pct markup vs 30 pct).

At shows I have purchased many coins from sellers at my table at 60 pct pg price. For eBay the Pcgs market Report is handy reference just bid 60 pct of it where coin not covered in blue or gray. Won 2 coins last nite at 53 pct of pg price.

Fewer collectors impact dragging down market but good news 4 buyers. I just buy low / sell high have fun.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

A simple coding fix would ensure that ANYTHING to the right (higher grade) is ALWAYS higher in value to anything to the RIGHT (lower grade) except for the P01. One could set it at X (value of lower grade) + y% delta between the 2 as a default, with the field able to over written but never smaller or equal to.

There, simple fix, PCGS please send my my $5000 consult fee.

And I do not work for the Russians.

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mustangmanbob said:
    A simple coding fix would ensure that ANYTHING to the right (higher grade) is ALWAYS higher in value to anything to the RIGHT (lower grade) except for the P01. One could set it at X (value of lower grade) + y% delta between the 2 as a default, with the field able to over written but never smaller or equal to.

In many series AU58 and 58+ are worth more than MS60 and 61.

Are there other exceptions mustangmanbob has to code around?
    Lance.

• panexpoguypanexpoguy Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe that I have also seen where you look up a coin in the Price Guide and it gives one value, but if you enter the cert number for verification the page offers a different value.

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

it is done hahha

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

And the guide is now adjusted (the MS65 dropped $600, to $2,850). That is still high, but more realistic.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file