Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

2001 Topps Heritage Willie Mays Autoproof 1952 Topps #'ed to 25

Does anyone have a clue what a 2001 Topps Heritage Willie Mays Autoproof 1952 Topps #'ed to 25 card would go for in today's market? I have one graded a 4 by Beckett with a 10 grade on the signature but can't find any others that have sold to compare it to. To give more background, in 2001 Topps bought back 25 1952 Topps Willie Mays cards and had Willie sign them and then reinserted them in their 2001 Topps Heritage packs. I was lucky enough to pull one. I have only seen 5 accounted for via the pop reports on PSA and Beckett. Any help on understanding the price here would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 466 ✭✭✭

That is an incredible card. Was it actually in the pack or a redemption?

I don't have any pricing info, but IMHO, you would:
    (1) take the unsigned '52 value in your grade, plus
    (2) the value of a Mays on-card auto, plus
    (3) a hefty multiplier of #1 and #2 to account for the uniqueness of the entire package and the crazy Heritage guys :p

I am sure you already thought of that, but what the heck...

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

A similar card was discussed on here at least five years ago. I think it had sold for something like $6,500. I would spend some time with the search function and see if you can find the thread.

Awesome card!

• Options

@FirstBeard said:
    That is an incredible card. Was it actually in the pack or a redemption?

I don't have any pricing info, but IMHO, you would:
    (1) take the unsigned '52 value in your grade, plus
    (2) the value of a Mays on-card auto, plus
    (3) a hefty multiplier of #1 and #2 to account for the uniqueness of the entire package and the crazy Heritage guys :p

I am sure you already thought of that, but what the heck...

It was actually in the pack, no redemption. Also thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭

Can you post a scan?
    Thanks,

Robb

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

I always thought it was a box topper. Awesome card

• Options
    FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 466 ✭✭✭

So cool that was in a pack. That would almost certainly be a redemption these days. Would love to see a scan too. I found a PSA graded one in google images that also graded a 4 (no auto grade).

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

Not 21k

Glws

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

Were these packs large enough for a 1952 Topps card?
    James

• Options

PM sent

• Options
    parkerjparkerj Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭

JoeB has one....so do 2 other people i know of...but thats it! Joe paid a nice sum for it (but i don't know how much and not my place to say). $5000+ seems quite plausible. He has the only one i have ever seen. Thats amazing that it was in a pack because it would be 1/4" wider and taller than all other cards in the pack, so i am not sure how they could have put it in the pack without damaging it or designing a special pack wrapper.

Would love to see yours posted.

Edit: i see he just posted....

• Options
    WaltWalt Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

Could never of been in a pack as it would not fit. I too would love to see a pic and more info.

• Options
    vols1vols1 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

@Dpeck100 said:
    A similar card was discussed on here at least five years ago. I think it had sold for something like $6,500. I would spend some time with the search function and see if you can find the thread.

Awesome card!

https://worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1952-topps-autographed-willie-mays-472098844

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I click on the link I can't see what it sold for. How much did it go for?

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

Article states the card was enclosed in a "boxloader".

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

The guy I bought my original one from told me the card was a boxtopper. He said he found it laying on top of the packs in a card saver, no pack around it. He sent me, what he said, was the original card saver.