Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What's the current situation with Paypal and Signature Confirmation?

Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭✭

I thought anything over $750 had to have Signature Confirmation. Recently the post office clerks have been telling me that Signature Confirmation is not available if the package is insured for more than $500. Is this a Catch-22 or is the signature obtained with insurance over $500 sufficient to satisfy Paypal?

Best Answers

• Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:
    From the paypal site:

What is signature confirmation for transactions of $750 or more?
    Signature Confirmation is an online documentation that can be viewed at the shipping company's website and indicates that the item was signed for on delivery.
    Signature confirmation is required for transactions, including shipping and taxes, that are $750 USD or more.

• Signature Confirmation as described below for payments of $750 USD or more... "Signature Confirmation" is online documentation that can be viewed at the shipping company's website and indicates that the item was signed for on delivery.
      If your payment is $750 or more, you need Signature Confirmation.

At usps.com you can calculate a price online. Once you insure for over $500, Signature Confirmation cannot be added to the package. Try it and see. This is the same thing the post office clerks have told me. Their terminals will not allow Signature Confirmation to be added to the package if it is insured for more than $500.

I believe the Paypal language quoted above used to say that the actual signature must be visible online. Now the requirement merely appears to be an indication that the package was signed for on delivery. So again I ask, is this a Catch-22 or is the signature for insurance of more than $500 sufficient to satisfy Paypal?

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 16, 2017 6:50PM Answer ✓

I have purchased signature confirmation many times in addition to insurance of over $750 with no issues. Not sure why you are having trouble with that.

The clerks will say otherwise because they don't sell on ebay, so they believe that signature confirmation is redundant for packages valued at over $500. But for Paypal seller protection, you must add that signature confirmation on top of insurance for anything over $750 (for insured packages between $501-$749 it is not necessary) to be covered.

Incidentally, I would also recommend printing the label for an ebay purchase directly from your ebay seller page or for a paypal purchase directly from the paypal page, and not using USPS.com. This way the buyer also automatically receives tracking information, too.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file